05-05-2014 04:02 PM
67 123
tools
    I'm currently on a trophy looking forward to the 928 next week, but I was wondering for those still on unlimited like myself are we still able to tether?

On the trophy there's a code u put in on the phone to enable free tethering, is this possible on the 928?

If not I know there has to be a code somewhere to enable it. Has anyone found any of the phones codes?
    05-20-2013 07:30 PM
    No, doesn't work. You can't edit the necessary settings
    05-20-2013 07:31 PM
    I tried to add tethering to my 928 and Verizon didn't offer it. They are looking into it.
    05-20-2013 08:24 PM
    I'm currently on a trophy looking forward to the 928 next week, but I was wondering for those still on unlimited like myself are we still able to tether?

On the trophy there's a code u put in on the phone to enable free tethering, is this possible on the 928?

If not I know there has to be a code somewhere to enable it. Has anyone found any of the phones codes?
    I'm in the same boat as you and plan on trying the ## codes when I get my 928 but I'm pretty sure it won't work. The phones authentic differently with 4G than 3G, so I know it won't work with 4G but I was hoping to still somehow turn off 4G and see if I could get it on 3G. We'll see but I doubt it will work. I just don't use it enough for the +$20 per month for unlimited users.
    05-20-2013 08:47 PM
    You aren't going to keep your unlimited plan unfortunately. I went in to upgrade from my Trophy last Thursday and they made me switch to a limited plan. The only way you can keep the unlimited plan is if you keep your old Trophy.
    05-20-2013 08:54 PM
    You aren't going to keep your unlimited plan unfortunately. I went in to upgrade from my Trophy last Thursday and they made me switch to a limited plan. The only way you can keep the unlimited plan is if you keep your old Trophy.
    Not if you pay full price for the phone. That's the only way to keep it, which I did.
    05-20-2013 08:55 PM
    if u pay the full price of the phone, or get on the 12 month device payment plan u are able to keep your unlimited data
    05-20-2013 09:03 PM
    If I have a 4GB plan can I not just tether without issue?
    05-20-2013 10:48 PM
    The sad truth is that the Trophy is 3G - and due to a Verizon "consent decree" - ALL EXISTING 3G, which is ONLY the Trophy as I recall, QUALIFIES under the consent decree.

AS soon as you move to 4G, I "believe that there is SOME LOOPHOLE" that allows Verizon to "BLOCK FREE TETHERING".

I "think", but NOT sure, IF YOU DROP YOUR UNLIMITED and switch to a "shared plan" ... you get FREE TETHERING???

I do know, form talking to Verizon and reading several article, that whatever this "consent decree is" ... IT DOES NOT APPLY to ATT or any other carrier!
    05-20-2013 11:26 PM
    Yeah the more I own this phone the more not being able to tether is bothering me.
    I recently switched offices and this office doesnt have wifi and never will. I thought oh well I can just tether..... until I got this phone.
    Is it enough to make me return it NOPE! Im pretty sure it will come in the future.
    05-21-2013 07:22 AM
    The sad truth is that the Trophy is 3G - and due to a Verizon "consent decree" - ALL EXISTING 3G, which is ONLY the Trophy as I recall, QUALIFIES under the consent decree.

AS soon as you move to 4G, I "believe that there is SOME LOOPHOLE" that allows Verizon to "BLOCK FREE TETHERING".

I "think", but NOT sure, IF YOU DROP YOUR UNLIMITED and switch to a "shared plan" ... you get FREE TETHERING???

I do know, form talking to Verizon and reading several article, that whatever this "consent decree is" ... IT DOES NOT APPLY to ATT or any other carrier!
    3G vs. 4G has nothing to do with it (well it does in terms of how your phone authenticates with the network but not in relation to what you are allowed to do by VZW). Your plan decides whether or not you can tether.
    05-21-2013 10:29 AM
    I had free tethering on my Note 2 after I switched to a shared plan. But I had it before switching plans using a custom ROM.
    I don't see any options on the 928, so I would think that it is a device issue more than a Verizon issue.
    05-21-2013 10:55 AM
    I had free tethering on my Note 2 after I switched to a shared plan. But I had it before switching plans using a custom ROM.
    I don't see any options on the 928, so I would think that it is a device issue more than a Verizon issue.

You can tether with the 928 as long as you are on the Shared Data Plan.

If you are still on unlimited data, you have to pay.
    I don't get why this is so confusing.
    05-21-2013 11:01 AM
    Are you guys talking about internet sharing? Or wifi hotspot? If so, it works just fine on my 822 with Verizon. And I just tried it on a friend's 928 and works great on that too. But as jmunchie said, it only works when on the shared data plan.
    05-21-2013 11:14 AM
    I never signed up for tethering or anything, I don't pay. But under settings there is an Internet sharing option that I can use just fine? I'm on shared data, so maybe they offer it free with that. I was never informed.
    EDIT: Didn't see there was a second page. New to this windows phone forum app stuff. I can confirm free sharing on 928 with shared data.
    05-21-2013 11:17 AM
    Are you guys talking about internet sharing? Or wifi hotspot? If so, it works just fine on my 822 with Verizon. And I just tried it on a friend's 928 and works great on that too. But as jmunchie said, it only works when on the shared data plan.
    OF COURSE, Verizon "HOPES" you WILL USE A "LOT" of DATA on the shared plans.

Just got off the phone with Verizon CS ... they "SAID", with our "grandfathered" UNLIMITED PLAN - because we paid FULL PRICE for our 928 - we CAN ADD "mobile HOTSPOT - THETHERING" for +$20 per month.

IS this correct?
    05-21-2013 11:37 AM

Just got off the phone with Verizon CS ... they "SAID", with our "grandfathered" UNLIMITED PLAN - because we paid FULL PRICE for our 928 - we CAN ADD "mobile HOTSPOT - THETHERING" for +$20 per month.

IS this correct?
    Yes.
    05-21-2013 11:40 AM
    OK ... so, I ALSO have a USB 4G modem - for 2 1/2 YEARS - that has served me quite well ... in fact, I could NOT do business without it !!!

BUT ... it's $50 per month for 5 GB ... so, as I have helped over 2 dozen friends, business colleagues and customers get up and running with the Lumia 920 on ATT ... I KNOW HOW FAST the 4G 920 IS via speedtest.net ...

I am ALWAYS "carefully watching" my data usage on the 4G USB modem to "not go over" ... some months, this is VERY tough!

SO, SINCE I ALWAYS HAVE my smartphone with me ... what are the downsides of dropping the 4G USB modem and just using the 928 4G "mobile hotspot" - with my UNLIMITED DATA PLAN ?
    05-21-2013 11:55 AM

IS this correct?
    Yep. I don't use it enough to justify the price though. Maybe once a month or so I am somewhere without wifi.
    05-21-2013 11:55 AM
    OK ... so, I ALSO have a USB 4G modem - for 2 1/2 YEARS - that has served me quite well ... in fact, I could NOT do business without it !!!

BUT ... it's $50 per month for 5 GB ... so, as I have helped over 2 dozen friends, business colleagues and customers get up and running with the Lumia 920 on ATT ... I KNOW HOW FAST the 4G 920 IS via speedtest.net ...

I am ALWAYS "carefully watching" my data usage on the 4G USB modem to "not go over" ... some months, this is VERY tough!

SO, SINCE I ALWAYS HAVE my smartphone with me ... what are the downsides of dropping the 4G USB modem and just using the 928 4G "mobile hotspot"?

There ARE no DOWNSIDES. YOU will be saving SOME MONEY that way. $20 per month < $50 per month.

****, now your CAPS LOCK DISEASE is SPREADING.
    hopmedic and Siah1214 like this.
    05-21-2013 11:57 AM
    Thanks ... sorry on the CAPS ... that's what happens when you "wait" for 9 months for the 928 and 18 months with a "3G" Trophy
    DavidinCT likes this.
    05-21-2013 12:00 PM
    @JMUNCHIES1 ... OK, you said "no downsides" ... what happens on the 928 with tethering and say "connected to the Internet" or connected to work servers ...

and the "phone rings" or a new email - on Verizon's 4G network?
    05-21-2013 12:46 PM
    @JMUNCHIES1 ... OK, you said "no downsides" ... what happens on the 928 with tethering and say "connected to the Internet" or connected to work servers ...

and the "phone rings" or a new email - on Verizon's 4G network?
    Until they activate simultaneous voice and data over 4G (SVLTE), your data connection will pause if you receive a call I believe (but I could be wrong). An email, or anything else data related, shouldn't affect it.
    05-21-2013 01:10 PM
    Yeah the more I own this phone the more not being able to tether is bothering me.
    I recently switched offices and this office doesnt have wifi and never will. I thought oh well I can just tether..... until I got this phone.
    Is it enough to make me return it NOPE! Im pretty sure it will come in the future.
    It won't come in the future. You have to purchase the mobile hotspot feature if you want tethering. It is $30 per month, less any discount you might have.
    05-21-2013 01:17 PM
    It won't come in the future. You have to purchase the mobile hotspot feature if you want tethering. It is $30 per month, less any discount you might have.
    He doesn't need to pay for that if he's on a Share Everything Plan:

Here's what you get with Share Everything Plans:

• Unlimited Talk for all devices on your account. No more worries about overage charges.
    • Unlimited Text1 for all devices on your account. Send as many text, picture and video messages as you want.
    • Shareable Data for all the devices on your account. Select how much you'll need, and then share it with up to 10 devices.
    • Mobile Hotspot2 is included on all capable devices. Connect your device and share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
    • Connect up to 10 devices. Choose which devices you'd like to connect, and then share your minutes, messages and data.

1. Enable internet sharing on the 928
    2. Plug phone into laptop
    3. Profit

He said tethering, not wifi hotspot. In any case, you can do both:

"You may use Mobile Hotspot or any other Wi–Fi hotspot or tethering service to use your smartphone or basic phone as a Wi–Fi hotspot or to tether it to your computer or tablet. If you subscribe to a data plan or package with an unlimited data allowance, there is an additional monthly fee to do so."
    05-21-2013 01:24 PM
67 123