It works. It looks good. But there is no way to completely exit the app unless you sign out! If you back up it says it's exiting. But it's not. It's just paused. When you wake the phone up, there is a mini control panel right where you can accidentally touch it and bam, you're playing music in the middle of a meeting when what you wanted to do was open a note taking app. Ask me how I know that. Go ahead. In Android and iOS when you exit the app you EXIT THE APP and there are no little noise traps waiting for you. Then to restart it you don't have to re sign-in, you just touch the icon. Bad design choice guys.
    05-23-2013 06:06 AM
    Get the "Kill My Music" app. When you exit Pandora, open Kill My Music and click on the little speaker icon and it will terminate the current audio stream that is sitting there paused, whether it's Pandora or one of the other music players.. This is some kind of issue that is in WP8.
    05-23-2013 06:14 AM
    Stop the Music does it even faster
    05-23-2013 06:15 AM
    It works. It looks good. But there is no way to completely exit the app unless you sign out! If you back up it says it's exiting. But it's not. It's just paused. When you wake the phone up, there is a mini control panel right where you can accidentally touch it and bam, you're playing music in the middle of a meeting when what you wanted to do was open a note taking app. Ask me how I know that. Go ahead. In Android and iOS when you exit the app you EXIT THE APP and there are no little noise traps waiting for you. Then to restart it you don't have to re sign-in, you just touch the icon. Bad design choice guys.
    Even worse, if you're bluetooth connected, when you connect or disconnect BT, it toggles. If playing and you turn off the BT device (or leave its range), play will stop. But the next time you connect to a BT device, it will start playing automatically. If you've already stopped play, and the BT disconnects, play will resume through the phone speaker, unsolicited.

But don't blame the Pandora app. It is this way with other music-playing apps as well. XBox Music, Nokia Music, some podcast players..... I've been told by a developer of one of the podcast aggregators that this is a "feature" of the OS, and that in order to prevent it, developers have had to use an undocumented workaround. So don't blame the app for this one, blame the OS.

There are a couple of apps that will stop the music - search for "stop music" in the store. The one I'm using is called STOP Music, and what I like about it is that from within the app, you can pin a secondary tile, and that tile, when you tap it, just stops the music. It doesn't open the app. Well, kinda. It opens the app to a black screen, stops the music, and then throws an exception to close back to the start screen. Throwing an unhandled exception (a programming error) isn't in compliance with the app certification guidelines, so I'm not sure how he got it to pass certification, but in a case like this one, I don't have a problem with it.
    05-23-2013 06:17 AM
    Stop the Music does it even faster
    Cool. There's a bunch of these apps, and the one I chose was one of the top rated ones that was free. Stop The Music appears to be even better.
    05-23-2013 06:28 AM
    Awesome. I'll try Stop the Music. Thanks!
    05-23-2013 06:34 AM
    The Windows Phone team uses UserVoice to gather suggestions. I've had half a dozen things that I either suggested or voted for come to pass with WP8. Put a vote in for this suggestion:
    Bluetooth audio autoplay off
    05-23-2013 08:44 AM
    I also had an awkward moment due to this OS feature. It doesn't matter if I pause Pandora or not; when I leave my car and BT disconnects, it will restart somewhere between 30 sec-2 min later. I blasted our company's lobby with Kelly Clarkson at 8AM. Don't judge me.
    05-23-2013 08:52 AM
    I actually like the Graffiti Radio app better than Pandora's. Use that to listen my Pandora stations.
    05-23-2013 09:25 AM
    They idea how WP8 works is not suppose to care whether you close the app or not. But is kinda half *** effort as there can be awkward mess up like this.
    05-23-2013 11:26 AM
    Forgive me as I'm new to Windows phone and I am hoping someone here can help me. I have an HTC 8S and live in Canada but I use Unblock-US for a US IP address. My question is does anyone know how Pandora verifies location as Netflix and HuluPlus work just fine for me.

Thanks in advance
    06-07-2013 08:26 AM
    you also need to have your phone location set to US.
    06-07-2013 09:09 AM
    @Huime thx I tried that and turned off GPS; I thought maybe carrier signal which I turned off still a no go. Pandora does work on my laptop so, I know it can be done.
    06-07-2013 09:36 AM