Wanting to switch from Android to Windows Phone

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up a Galaxy S4 the other day and I was kind of goign back and forth between it and the Lumia 928, I have a 14 day return period so I can still switch. I have used the 822, but i didn't like the design at all and the camera was extremely slow, it was only a short time I had it.

I really like the Lumia because:
Fast, good camera with real flash and a shutter button
I like the hardware design, even if it is a bit bulky, like the key placement
Software is pretty clean and fast, I have some decent confidence in Microsoft after windows 8.
Seems to have decent battery life which is important
I like my Galaxy because:
Familiarity and app selection with google (though I'm not bound to it because of my purchases)
Notification panel (as far as I can tell WP8 has no notification center)
Widgets
fastest specs out

Anyone recently switched over and have opinions? I would appreciate it

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So I picked up a Galaxy S4 the other day and I was kind of goign back and forth between it and the Lumia 928, I have a 14 day return period so I can still switch.

Software is pretty clean and fast, I have some decent confidence in Microsoft after windows 8.
Familiarity and app selection with google (though I'm not bound to it because of my purchases)
Widgets
fastest specs out

Okay, to address what could be concerns:
-You'll more or less find that the WP8 App Selection is more than enough (unless you rely on niche apps or Instagram)
-Microsoft reportedly "ran out of time" on the notification center, so I'll leave it to you what to make of that.
-Live tiles may become more widget-like, but it's pure speculation on my part.
-Specs don't matter if the OS and apps don't take advantage of the hardware.

Also, the 928 has rather good battery life, and will have some exclusive Nokia features in the Amber update, so it's your choice.

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Ya i checked out most of the aps are there that I want, the only kind of odd thing is I use a reminder app to remind of of random things I need to do during the day and I havn't found to much stuff on the windows 8 store for that.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Ya i checked out most of the aps are there that I want, the only kind of odd thing is I use a reminder app to remind of of random things I need to do during the day and I havn't found to much stuff on the windows 8 store for that.

The calendar has a "to-do" with reminder alarms, so you can ur that. You dont have to download an app for reminders, its in-built

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
-You'll more or less find that the WP8 App Selection is more than enough (unless you rely on niche apps or Instagram)
-Microsoft reportedly "ran out of time" on the notification center, so I'll leave it to you what to make of that.

Also, the 928 has rather good battery life, and will have some exclusive Nokia features in the Amber update, so it's your choice.

This... unlike the S4. Windows phones devices will NEVER lag over time. Which is basically an important thing for a lot of people. I had my former Lumia 800 for a year with 75 apps installed and it still didn't lag at all.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Let's see...you have the Calendar (which you can set up to show on the lock screen) and OneNote.

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I traded my Galaxy S3 for my mom's Lumia 900, and I haven't really missed anything from Android. Sure there are some apps and games that I would like to have, but I've learned that I don't need them. I even bought a Nexus 4 to see if I was missing anything still, and everything I did with the Nexus, I could do on my Lumia, but with a more pleasurable experience. Everytime I pick up my mom's S3 now, it feels slow and laggy. So I guess it just boils down to your needs. If you want the latest and greatest apps and hardware, go with android. If you want a great user interface and experience, go with Windows Phone. And don't get me wrong, the WP hardware is no slouch, its just Android has more variety of it. Hope I helped in some way :D

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone who switched over find themselves missing any functionality?

Here's my history of switches I made, (I used to switch every 6 months, sometimes even shorter periods)
I may have used some other android devices for shorter duration's but am only considering ones that I've used for some time. Am getting old as I type and its hard to remember which were those tiny devices I played with for a short duration.

Iphone 4 (Only for a week)
Blackberry Bold 3 (for a good long year)
Samsung Nexus Prime i9250 (6 Months~)
Xperia S (4-5 Months)
Xperia T (2 Months)

Now Lumia 720 (Since 20th of April)

Am I missing any functionality, Yes I miss these 2 functionalities.
-Lags
-Crashes

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's my history of switches I made, (I used to switch every 6 months, sometimes even shorter periods)
I may have used some other android devices for shorter duration's but am only considering ones that I've used for some time. Am getting old as I type and its hard to remember which were those tiny devices I played with for a short duration.

Iphone 4 (Only for a week)
Blackberry Bold 3 (for a good long year)
Samsung Nexus Prime i9250 (6 Months~)
Xperia S (4-5 Months)
Xperia T (2 Months)

Now Lumia 720 (Since 20th of April)

Am I missing any functionality, Yes I miss these 2 functionalities.
-Lags
-Crashes

I agree with the 2 missing functionalities😊

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So I picked up a Galaxy S4 the other day and I was kind of goign back and forth between it and the Lumia 928, I have a 14 day return period so I can still switch. I have used the 822, but i didn't like the design at all and the camera was extremely slow, it was only a short time I had it.

Widgets
fastest specs out

I am got trying to talk you into anything I am just going to give you my opinion here. I recently had a Note 2 as recently as yesterday when I sold my Note 2 and got a Samsung ATIV S. I have had many Android devices over the years just check my profile on AC you will see I know Android. Every Android device I have ever had suffers from glitches. I won?t call it lag it?s not lag Samsung devices don't lag. The Note 2 was a great device I love that screen and I like all the things it could do. Very fast nice on screen transitions and the pin options SNotes is a great program. I like that device so much I went out and bought a Bluetooth to go with it I got the Motorola Elite made for Android device. That Bluetooth comes with Android software in the marketplace to be used with Android devices. Cool right text while driving hands free (Windows Phone does this with any Bluetooth out of the box no software added) wrong it didn't work it mixed with the Samsung built in voice command and caused issues. I removed that program to use the built in Samsung VC and it is bad it, just is, so now one of my favorite things to do is rendered useless. I had Bluetooth connection issues from day one. I tried 3 Bluetooth devices with my Note 2 Motorola Elite, Bose 2, and Jawbone 3. All three had the same issue they would connect to the device but it would glitch sometimes it wouldn?t connect correctly and would just echo what I was saying or would just reverb real loud. I couldn?t establish a pattern to this it was just intermittent. At first I blamed it on Bluetooth compatibility and that is what led me to buy the MOTOROLA elite. It?s a Motorola Google owns Motorola right it should work...not. If that wasn't enough I had radio issues. At times the phone would get stuck in dialing mode it would just sit there on the phone screen saying Dialing... I have had this issues with every Android device I have ever had on Sprint and AT&T. It requires a restart to fix via airplane mode or power off. Very irritating if you are in a hurry to make a call. I was talking to a coworker on T-Mo who has an Android device he tells me he has the same issue. I blame it on the carriers they wright one radio program the install it on every Android device they get it just doesn?t work it. These radios are not properly tested buy the carriers. Shame on them they are giving Android a bad name, or is it Samsung?s problem should Samsung be taking some responsibility here. I know you won?t have any of these issues with Nokia phones. Why is that? I would have other glitches/ freezes from time to time all of this would cause me to have to reset the phone once a day. I started just resetting the phone each morning when I woke up this helped for the most part.
My issues with Android? Freezes, Voice Command that doesn?t work (It doesn?t work I am not going to argue with you about this it just doesn?t work well it?s that simple) Radio issues. You won?t find any device with a phone in it that can do what Android devices can do you just won?t. Android devices can do just about anything you want them to do they are amazing devices. I thinks this adds to the issues I have with Android because there is just so much going on in the device problems are unavoidable because there is no way for any manufacturer to test every scenario. What Android Samsung devices can do this is what drew me to the Note 2. Issues with the OS causing a lack of productivity is what caused me to sale it.

Windows phone devices won?t do what Android devices can do. That said WP8 devices will do many things that I need from a phone. I have a laptop for everything else. What a Windows Phone does it will do well with no issues. Windows Phones just work. You will be more productive with a WP. You will not have radio issues with a WP. You will not experience freezes with a WP. Voice command is the best in the business yes this includes SIRI. I have a Nokia 920 I have had sense November I have 350 plus programs loaded on it I have never had to restart, reset, or power off my phone. It just works. My wife has a Titan 2 she has had for 2 years she loves it because she never has issues with it. My Mother-in-law has a L920 she love that phone because she was able to understand the OS and it just works.

Conclusion, read, read, read, and learn what WP8 does make sure it will do what you need a phone to do. If you know the limitations of WP8 and can accept it you will like the OS because you will be more productive. It?s an easy OS to learn but it is a different way of doing things. We have top notch hardware, the apps are coming learn what is missing to make sure that won?t be an issues for you, forget about a notifications center the start screen live tiles are your notifications center, you won?t find any OS that is faster or more productive.

I would recommend you start by reading all the threads in this area.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-guides-how-tos/

Brad Miller2

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3 since last July and was deciding on the 928 or the S4. Since the 928 came out first, I figured I'd test drive it for 14 days. After 3 days, I knew I was keeping it (I have been an android owner exclusively the last 5 years). The 928 is my 1st windows phone. As stated above, calendar does notifications built right in and most of the social apps (Facebook/twitter, itsdagram, etc ) have toast notifications that pop up at the top of the screen just like an android phone. With my linked inbox live tile, I can always quickly see if I have any new emails as well.

Quite frankly, as a heavy and expert android user (I have rooted, rommed, etc) and ran my own photography business using my phone for a LOT of it, I can tell you that the only things I miss from Android are these:

FlipBoard (Weave and Fuse are OK, but not as good) and Snapchat. That's it.

WP8 does email better, especially my corp email on exchange server. WP8 never lags, never freezes. Live tiles are the bomb, and unlike widgets, they don't drain your battery down to nothing in just a few hours.

The Lumia 928 with WP8 may not be for everybody, but I urge you to give one a try before jumping on that S4 bandwagon!

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've switched from iPhone 3, 4 and 4s. Haven't look back since.

I don't use many apps on iPhone. Often download things but never really use 80% of it. With WP8, everything are part of the phone and I use it daily without looking for apps. Luv IT!!!!
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If that wasn't enough I had radio issues. At times the phone would get stuck in dialing mode it would just sit there on the phone screen saying Dialing... I have had this issues with every Android device I have ever had on Sprint and AT&T. It requires a restart to fix via airplane mode or power off. Very irritating if you are in a hurry to make a call. I was talking to a coworker on T-Mo who has an Android device he tells me he has the same issue. I blame it on the carriers they wright one radio program the install it on every Android device they get it just doesn’t work it. These radios are not properly tested buy the carriers. Shame on them they are giving Android a bad name, or is it Samsung’s problem should Samsung be taking some responsibility here

I dont believe thats a carrier issue, i experienced the same problems on my past GS3 with Rogers. I always assumed it was a radio issue, but i never experienced the problem with my L920, Focus or my wife's iPhone3G/5. I'm sure its a bug with the OS...many times i would End, re-dial, End, re-dial....eventually after the 6th or 7th time it would establish a connection...sometimes i'd have to reboot the device.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I am got trying to talk you into anything I am just going to give you my opinion here.....

I'd just like to say that I really appreciate the honesty and accuracy of this post. It's refreshing to see someone give an actual opinion of android beyond 'laggy, buggy, fragmented'. Anyway, currently on android and pretty certain I'm gonna make the switch when my upgrade is up, and your post confirmed that I'll love the decision. Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I would suggest you check before deciding on a WP8 would be the apps that you absolutely need. Apart from that every other change will be welcoming...

...and about the notification center...trust me you won't miss it if you learn to use WP8 as designed to be used and not use it as an Android/IOS and compare. The app shortcuts on the start screen are called live tiles for a reason, because they do give you realtime notifications as required/programmed in the app, if not atleast a notification count, and again the behavior is completely upto the developer, some apps give you a tile notification count, some provide you with realtime updates/feeds. Play around the OS and try to customize it according to your needs. If you don't like it after a while and conclude that its not suited for your needs, you can always switch...

...all the best!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Where's the source on this one? I need to drag somebody bald for filth.
b80efe23.gif

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Alright I went there today and returned the S4 and got my 928! I got a couple of weird looks but one guy there backed me up on it :p very happy, I do have the gooky lookign windows button but it's not as bad as some others, might not have even noticed if i wasn't looking for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb