After years of having a number of "backup and restore" third party add-ons for WM (Windows Mobile) ... WP 7 and 7.5 JUST SUCKED with the whole Zune requirement.

So, with my brand new WP8 - as I had read since the WP8 launch - there IS A NATIVE backup setting - but I don't see "a live tiles setting" and I would guess that the "app restore" LOSES all individual app settings?

What else is missing and are there any "apps" in the market yet ... or coming?

Back up my stuff | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
    05-26-2013 01:17 PM
    To be honest with you there are as far as I can see in the UK Store, there aren't any back up apps that will dump the whole rom like spb back up on wm 6.5 as there is no direct filesystem access. Only contact back up apps which either upload or email contacts in a list or .csv format. I haven't got any other format i.e saving as business cards to work.

Also there is no live tile for back up settings, only accessible via settings -> backup for applist + settings, text messages (also accessible by messaging (for backing up texts/chats) & photos (also contains video upload settings when tapped - for me it may be different for you) where you can choose to upload good quality via data or wi-fi or highest which will need wi-fi. Your contacts sync to the cloud automatically if you choose to save them with Microsoft account you set your phone up (there is no way to stop this). Any subsequent MS accounts or other accounts have the option to sync contacts or not. The only exception is the Nokia account which only connects to the internet and other settings are accessed via account.nokia.com

In regards to the restoring, you will need to sign-in with MS Account you used after the phone has finished resetting - you will be prompted for this or you can skip. For Apps & Settings, your app history can be also accessed via windowsphone.com and sign in with the MS account used to set up your phone, go to purchase history and you can re-install any apps installed from there.
    Me personally I haven't tried to restore apps and settings as I only had to hard reset once and that was after updating to portico, however didnot choose to restore apps & settings as I was hard pressed for time but I believe it only re-installs the apps you had before but not the app data (not sure on settings). I could be wrong though, someone else will need to verify this.

A quick note, I noticed you can also choose an app to auto upload to different services, via settings -> scroll to applications -> photos+camera -> apps (I haven't tried this as I haven't had the need to upload photos taken into the cloud so someone else will need to verify how well this works).
    05-26-2013 02:30 PM
    WOW ... SPB Software ... these guys were killer back in the WM days ... BEFORE "APPS" were a hot commodity due to Apple and then Google.

There was one other BIG PLAYER in the backup space ... this brings back old memories of Symantec Ghost, Acronis, etc.

I swear by the latest Acronis TRUE IMAGE with the "bare metal restore option" for restoring to different PC hardware.

So ... is WP8 so locked down that app builders could NOT create a full disc image kind of restore?
    Last edited by dksf42; 05-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    05-26-2013 03:06 PM
    I have used the backup/restore functionality several times, the latest of which was just today. Here's how it works:
    1. sign into your Microsoft Account
    2. If you had used a WP8 device before, it will prompt you asking whether you want to restore a backup or not, and present a list of backups to choose from (if you'd had more than one).
    3. If you say yes, it will take a few minutes to download the phone settings. During this time, you can do nothing else with the phone - you are at the mercy of the phone, as it is burning your data. I don't know how much data, but it's using it.
    4. Once you get to the start screen, then you can start using the phone. My advice - either connect to WiFi right away or turn off your data in Settings | Cellular. If you don't, you may find a hefty bill next month. My restore weighed in at 2 GB on the 16th when I restored the 822 backup onto my new 928. I must have trimmed things back this time, because my restore weighed in at 1.7 GB today.

Backup / Restore will not restore photos, documents, game progress or app data. It will not backup photos, though they're already backed up if you automatically upload to SkyDrive. It will also not restore your start screen to its original glory. If you think about it, this makes sense. It restores the phone settings first, which is where the screen layout would be. But it hasn't restored apps yet, and since they haven't been restored, it can't pin the tiles. So a wise move would be to take screenshots before doing a reset of your phone, or before trading in your old phone for a new one, if you're OCD about your screen like I am.
    05-26-2013 11:26 PM
    I have used the backup/restore functionality several times, the latest of which was just today. Here's how it works:
    2. If you had used a WP8 device before, it will prompt you asking whether you want to restore a backup or not, and present a list of backups to choose from (if you'd had more than one).
    3. If you say yes, it will take a few minutes to download the phone settings. During this time, you can do nothing else with the phone - you are at the mercy of the phone, as it is burning your data. I don't know how much data, but it's using it.
    4. Once you get to the start screen, then you can start using the phone. My advice - either connect to WiFi right away or turn off your data in Settings | Cellular. If you don't, you may find a hefty bill next month. My restore weighed in at 2 GB on the 16th when I restored the 822 backup onto my new 928. I must have trimmed things back this time, because my restore weighed in at 1.7 GB today.

Backup / Restore will not restore photos, documents, game progress or app data. It will not backup photos, though they're already backed up if you automatically upload to SkyDrive. It will also not restore your start screen to its original glory. If you think about it, this makes sense. It restores the phone settings first, which is where the screen layout would be. But it hasn't restored apps yet, and since they haven't been restored, it can't pin the tiles. So a wise move would be to take screenshots before doing a reset of your phone, or before trading in your old phone for a new one, if you're OCD about your screen like I am.
    Thanks for the explanation ... makes sense!
    05-26-2013 11:45 PM
    I was surprised at how well this worked when I switched from my 822 to my 928 last week. You can also backup your text messages but you need to do that separately in the text app settings.
    05-28-2013 03:25 PM
    Honestly Apple has it better right now for backup and restore. You can back up to your computer using iTunes or even better you can use iCloud. Thses backups contain everything from messages, email, app data, system settings, home screen layout and more. iCloud will even store your app and music purchases (not directly tho, more like a list of your purchases that are downloaded upon restoring a backup).

I have only used the restore feature once early in the WP8 days with my 920 and I was less than impressed. I hope Blue brings more comprehensive backup features.
    05-28-2013 04:04 PM
    Just restored mine expecting it to restore the start screen, could have sworn I read that it does.

Also have to uninstall all the bloatware again.
    06-03-2013 02:28 PM
    No, it doesn't restore the start screen. It restores phone settings before reinstalling the apps. It can't put the tiles there if the apps aren't installed. See my post above.
    06-03-2013 02:31 PM
    To those who have done it, do text messages come back over cleanly?
    06-03-2013 02:36 PM
    yes - I was quite surprised.
    jmshub likes this.
    06-03-2013 02:38 PM
    Yeah, I now know and it makes sense. I only came and found this post after I was confused why it didn't. So I was just sayin.

But yeah my texts came back fine.. Although there is a huge list of applications that say "attention required. Tap here" when I do I get error 8000ffff "there is a problem completing your request. Try again later."

I don't know what these are for because as far as I can tell all my apps have been restored. But I'd really like to get these off my app list...
    jmshub likes this.
    06-03-2013 02:41 PM
    From what I've gathered, those apps are Nokia's settings, and you can just cancel the download and they'll come over time. That's been the case with me.
    06-03-2013 02:42 PM
    Oh - to cancel the download, tap/hold then cancel download.
    06-03-2013 02:42 PM
    Aah, there we go. Had to go into downloads to do it otherwise the only option is share.

One more thing, why after I deleted the CNN app did the jump list (jump tiles?, whatever its called) in the app list also disappear? Also happened on my first phone.
    06-03-2013 02:49 PM
    Because the jump list appears after you have 46 apps on the list.
    Serious Tone likes this.
    06-03-2013 03:02 PM
    WP really needs a more comprehensive back-up and restore process. Primarily, there should be no reason why app settings can't be stored and restored once the app installation process is complete. Same with the start screen. A simple file stating what tiles, their sizes, and locations with app name, shouldn't be hard to do and tied to a simple restore program that you can run when you are done reloading all of your apps.
    06-03-2013 09:12 PM
    Dont why they call it back up. On my 928 , i found out other day Sky drive had stopped auto uploading my photos on August 10, would not let me manual upload so after spending 20 minutes on phone with Nokia making sure we had all backups set up i did a hard reset today only to find out nothing was backed up save the 145 photos I had stored on skydrive before August 10.
    08-20-2013 10:58 AM

if it doesn't restore app data, what could possibly be so large in file size to restore??? I mean, what settings does it restore exactly? the way i see it, wouldn't it make more sense to just look at your app history in windowsphone.com and reinstall from there
    09-21-2013 12:54 PM