Should I exchange my 928 again?

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I have already exchanged my 928 three times for various reasons. Now I was finally happy with one and the buttons are actually pretty white which I was very happy with.

But now the phone is creaking and making sounds when I hold and put pressure on the phone towards the bottom and on the back. It happens when I hold the phone certain ways and a lot of times when I start to text.

Should I look past this and just be happy that there are no other defects? Or should I try another exchange?

I purchased the phone through my local Microsoft store.

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have already exchanged my 928 three times for various reasons. Now I was finally happy with one and the buttons are actually pretty white which I was very happy with.

But now the phone is creaking and making sounds when I hold and put pressure on the phone towards the bottom and on the back. It happens when I hold the phone certain ways and a lot of times when I start to text.

Should I look past this and just be happy that there are no other defects? Or should I try another exchange?

I purchased the phone through my local Microsoft store.
honestly I don't think you should, this has happened before with the matte Nokia Lumia 920s but its nothing serious, as far as I know none of them fell apart or something :)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have already exchanged my 928 three times for various reasons. .

They let you exchange it 3 times without problem? I thought they'd make a big fuss out of that, especially the 2nd and 3rd time. What were the problems the first 3 times? It's pretty rare for someone to get 4 phones in a row that are defective.

As for the slight creaking, I think that's normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
None of these smartphones are perfect. If you are looking for a perfect one, you will likely not find it - and even if you do it will no longer be perfect after 3 months of use :)

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
None of these smartphones are perfect. If you are looking for a perfect one, you will likely not find it - and even if you do it will no longer be perfect after 3 months of use :)

I do not own a 928; I own a 920. However, I think that this is a very sound and reasonable response.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I discovered the same problem with mine a couple of days ago. The squeaking/clicking noises have gone away for the most part though. I think you should be fine.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine seems really solid no issues so far the 928 feels like a firm device.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

wpbrian

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I have already exchanged my 928 three times for various reasons..

Sounds like you are obsessing over minor issues (no offense intended, I tend to do so as well when I make major purchases...TVs, cars, etc.). I suggest you hang on to the phone since you are largely happy with it and you will likely also find fault in every replacement.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So guys, the creaking and clicking got worse, louder and more frequent, so my perfectionist self just had to exchange it. What a mistake. It sent me into a downward spiral of worse devices.

I got this grand idea that a black one would be better so I exchanged for a black one. That one had goopy buttons worse than the white ones. I got another black one and it had the most gunk behind the buttons out of all of them and when the phone vibrated it would sound like it was gonna fall apart.

So I was ready to just give up on the phone and wait for the problems to get cleared up. I felt embarrassed going into the store again. So I told the store manager that I was giving up, but to my surprise he offered one more replacement of a white phone.

I agreed with zero expectations and I'll be darned if this one isn't pretty much perfect. There is no gunk behind the buttons and the color is closer to white than yellow.

I believe this is phone #7, I'm pretty embarrassed to admit it. The other ones had problems ranging from gunk behind the buttons, loud and rattling vibration, creaky casing, light spots under the dark part of the glass, etc.

I will admit I got obsessed and it turned into a mission to find a good phone. After about the second exchange is when I felt obligated to find one worth my money. It did indeed become an obsession. Although I almost gave up.

Last edited:

goodsit2

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if someone could take a picture of this gunk issue so the rest of us (or at least me) could get a better understanding :)

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if someone could take a picture of this gunk issue so the rest of us (or at least me) could get a better understanding :)

someone did in another thread.

I believe this is phone #7, .

Did you go to the same store every time? I'd like to know more about your experience doing this, as I'm too scared to do it even once. I'm surprised they didn't make a fuss over the same person swapping out that many phones in such a short time period. Also, why didn't they just let you check the phone for flaws before taking it home, rather than letting you take it home and having you come back 7 times?

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Did you go to the same store every time? I'd like to know more about your experience doing this, as I'm too scared to do it even once. I'm surprised they didn't make a fuss over the same person swapping out that many phones in such a short time period. Also, why didn't they just let you check the phone for flaws before taking it home, rather than letting you take it home and having you come back 7 times?

Exactly what I was thinking.

OP, try visiting another store and show them the current fault and check the replacement they offer for faults before accepting it.

Cloud Denton

May 24, 2013
Visit site
You talk about "gunk behind the buttons" I'm guessing your buying a "re-furbished" phone. I tend to be overly picky when buying expensive products too so I try to buy new as often as possible. If it has been been 7 phones and your still not satisfied I definitely recommend you just buy a $20 super basic phone (in the mean time) and save an extra pay check to get a brand new Nokia Lumia.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Are you sure it's perfect? You better squeeze it from all directions and look at the seam between the screen and the case. lol

And it's amazing that I see threads about quality control issues on the 928 and 920 and yet people still want to say that Nokia has less problems than HTC. All phones have a certain percentage with issues and from these forums, Nokia certainly has some too. The main thing here, is that Verizon is awesome when it comes to defective devices!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is phone #7, I'm pretty embarrassed to admit it. The other ones had problems ranging from gunk behind the buttons, loud and rattling vibration, creaky casing, light spots under the dark part of the glass, etc.

I will admit I got obsessed and it turned into a mission to find a good phone. After about the second exchange is when I felt obligated to find one worth my money. It did indeed become an obsession. Although I almost gave up.

You shouldn't be embarrassed, if anything Nokia/Verizon should be embarrassed giving you a poor product so many times in a row...on a brand new flagship phone. Good for you bud, we need more of this or else the manufacturers will never learn.

I've got battery problems with my 920, but im 'living' with it...when i should really be contacting Nokia to replace the device. my only concern, much like yours, was getting stuck in a game of devices getting worse after worse.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it was all at the same store. I live in San Diego and we have a Microsoft Store here. I did it all through them and they were absolutely fantastic with their customer service. I didn't even deal with a Verizon store. And the Microsoft Store also doesn't have restocking fees and they let you buy the phone off contract with no hesitation. It's just a much better overall experience. They did let me check the phone, but once they scan and open the box, it's mine. But some of these problems like checking for gunk behind the buttons was hard since the store is so bright. It's not until I walked out of the store into shady areas where I can see it.

As to my experience, it was much better than it could of been because of the Microsoft Store. I know this sounds like a plug, but I have absolutely no affiliation with Microsoft. They just did a fantastic job and were obviously very accommodating. After the second or third exchange I started feeling embarrassed to go in there again, but they really were understanding and made me feel comfortable.

Exactly what I was thinking.

OP, try visiting another store and show them the current fault and check the replacement they offer for faults before accepting it.

Unfortunately there is only one Microsoft Store in my area. The next nearest one is about 2 hours away.

You talk about "gunk behind the buttons" I'm guessing your buying a "re-furbished" phone. I tend to be overly picky when buying expensive products too so I try to buy new as often as possible. If it has been been 7 phones and your still not satisfied I definitely recommend you just buy a $20 super basic phone (in the mean time) and save an extra pay check to get a brand new Nokia Lumia.

They were all brand new fresh out of the box each time. I bought the phone originally brand new for full retail. So each one after that was also brand new and not refurbished.

Are you sure it's perfect? You better squeeze it from all directions and look at the seam between the screen and the case. lol

And it's amazing that I see threads about quality control issues on the 928 and 920 and yet people still want to say that Nokia has less problems than HTC. All phones have a certain percentage with issues and from these forums, Nokia certainly has some too. The main thing here, is that Verizon is awesome when it comes to defective devices!

Well it's certainly not "perfect", but it's close enough. This one also has some creaking on the case, but I'm living with it. Everything else is pretty much flawless, so I won't mess around with it. I also paid $99 for a 2-year protection plan through the Microsoft Store. I usually don't do stuff like this, but their program is much better than insurance through Verizon IMO. It is 2-years for $99 and you can exchange your phone for any reason, even if it's your fault (dropping it, water damage, etc.). And all you have to do is walk into the store, pay a $50 deductible and they give you a brand new phone, not refurbished like Verizon. So you walk out with a brand new phone for $50 and if there is a newer model of the phone, you get that one. It thought it was worth it.

You shouldn't be embarrassed, if anything Nokia/Verizon should be embarrassed giving you a poor product so many times in a row...on a brand new flagship phone. Good for you bud, we need more of this or else the manufacturers will never learn.

I've got battery problems with my 920, but im 'living' with it...when i should really be contacting Nokia to replace the device. my only concern, much like yours, was getting stuck in a game of devices getting worse after worse.

I agree, I hate living with a device that isn't perfect. Especially with the prices that we pay for them. This device is pretty much perfect aside from some slight creaking. I also am going to live with it since I know there are MUCH worse out there. And getting that $99 protection plan that I mentioned above makes it much easier to live with.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They let you exchange it 3 times without problem? I thought they'd make a big fuss out of that, especially the 2nd and 3rd time. What were the problems the first 3 times? It's pretty rare for someone to get 4 phones in a row that are defective.
I exchanged mine on Sunday, at the Microsoft Store on the north side of Atlanta. Before I left the mall, I turned around and took it back to exchange it again, as it was in an endless reboot cycle that would let you get as far as the initial signing into a Microsoft account, then it would reboot. No problems at all.

yes. You should get the value of your money.
This.

Nope - brand new. My first two phones didn't have this issue. The third does. But I'm not going to worry about it. To me it's a minor cosmetic thing, though I can certainly undertstand people not wanting it, and don't blame them for wanting to get rid of it.

THIS.

cmwys

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I think the only one that should be embarrassed is Nokia. Their quality was not at all what I was expecting from the company that manufactured the concrete-crushing meme phone. I don't understand how so many devices shipped out with goopy backlit keys let alone any phone that has any of the physical side buttons being non-functional. I just don't see how they couldn't have noticed unless they didn't test the key at all.

I went direct through Verizon ordering online initially and went through 3 defective phones that were exchanged with no hassle at a local VZW corporate store. Spoke with both online, phone, and in-store reps, all of whom did not hassle me and even encouraged me to continue to replace as I should be happy with my purchase especially within the initial worry-free guarantee period. The in-store reps were the least friendly as they went right to working through the process after quickly confirming the problem. They were only slightly clumsy likely not having had much experience with Windows Phones let alone a just released product. I also received a credit to my account for the hassle.

I would suggest that if you receive a phone with anything that sounds, looks, or behaves defectively to get a replacement asap. Goopy keys? Not so much as that seems unfortunately common.

Also, before leaving the store, test the phone as much as you can. Each time I only checked for the defect I had previously only to hours later find that my replacement had a completely different problem.
  • Test all of the physical buttons to make sure they work. Volume up, volume down, power/lock, camera half-press + full-press, and the three touch keys.
  • Download an app to test the vibration motor for anything obvious.
  • Inspect the glass for any bubbles, gaps, etc.

You could also test the led/xenon flash but I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with those yet. Note that if you do that the xenon doesn't fire in all lighting conditions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos