Should I exchange my 928 again?

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got a response from Elop!! Haha I never thought he would respond. My case also has already been escalated and I got an email about that too! Here is the email tree and Elop's response:

RE: Nokia Lumia 928‏

stephen.elop@nokia.com (stephen.elop@nokia.com)

Add to contacts

8:21 PM

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cc: Alf.Noto@nokia.com, Customer.Assist@nokia.com

Picture of stephen.elop@nokia.com

Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen

Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 23:18
To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)
Subject: Nokia Lumia 928

Dear Mr. Elop,

First off, I'm sure you get bombarded with emails, so I understand if you can't respond. But I hope you do as there are many others with my issues and concerns about the newly released Nokia Lumia 928 for Verizon Wireless.

I was a diehard Android fan and owned many of their devices over the past 4 years. But I finally got fed up with their fragmentation and slow OS. I was recently introduced to Windows Phone 8 by fellow members of the WPCenteral.com website and forums. I then tried out a WP8 device in a store and I immediately fell in love.

Being on Verizon, I wasn't in love with the phone choices however. Fast forward to when I heard the 928 was coming out and I was ecstatic! It was going to be my first Nokia cell phone and I have heard rave reviews about the build quality of the devices.

Here is where my (and many others) problem comes in. I am currently using phone #7 of the 928 and even this one still has the issues of the other 6 that I returned. Between all of them, the most common problem is some substance behind the backlit Start, Search and Back buttons that show up when the backlight comes on. The buttons looks horrible when lit. Another common issue that I've had on a few of the phones was when the phone vibrates when you get a message, the phone rattles and sounds like it's going to fall apart. Another issue is the casing of the phone having a creaking, clicking and popping sound when you hold it certain ways. All of these are major annoyances to me and don't live up to the Nokia build quality reputation that I heard so much about.

Here is my bottom line....I really LOVE this phone and the OS!! But I can't and don't feel I should keep a phone that simply isn't up to high quality standards. I feel I am running out of options and don't really want to give up on this phone. I just know that if I exchange the phone again, I will get yet another one with some of these problems.

On the other hand, I really don't want to ship it to Nokia and be without a phone for a couple weeks. I would rather get a new phone shipped so I can inspect it first and then ship the defective unit back if the new one checks out OK. I would be willing to put a deposit or hold on my credit card, etc.

Would you please be so kind to consider this and put me in contact with someone where I can make this happen?

Thank you so much for your time and have a great day!

Regards,
John (last name)

And here is the email of my escalated case:

Complaint Escalation <SR 1-XXXXXX> <Esc # 1-XXXXXX> <Your email to Nokia executives – 1-XXXXX>‏

esc-Customer.Support@nokia.com (esc-Customer.Support@nokia.com)

Add to contacts

8:53 PM

To: XXXXXXXXX

Picture of esc-Customer.Support@nokia.com

Escalation #: 1-XXXXX

Hi Mr. (last name),

Thank you for contacting us with your concern.

We have logged your concern and are currently looking into it. Your service request number is 1-XXXXXXX. Please allow us to handle the details of your case, and our local Nokia customer care team will get back to you shortly.

Also, to properly assist you, please provide us with your most convenient callback number. This way, we can forward your concern to the local Nokia Care team.

Regards,

Welson R.

Answers to many of your questions may be located online. Please visit Support - Nokia - USA for your Nokia product support needs.

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys, I'm getting really tired of this and it's becoming ridiculous. This is my first Nokia device and they certainly aren't living up to their reputation of good build quality for me yet. I've never had this many issues with any of the countless phones that I have owned over the years.

And let me fist admit that I have obsessed about this, but all of my exchanges were real issues that should not be accepted.

I thought phone #7 was the winner but sadly it's not. The case is clicking and popping again in the same exact areas of a prior exchange. It's super annoying. And when the phone vibrates it sounds like it's gonna fall apart.

As much as I love this phone and WP8, I don't know where to go from here. Do I just give up and get a different phone? Do I wait and hope they fix these issues soon and do another exchange before my 30 days runs out (Microsoft Store)?

I'm so frustrated because I really love this phone. But I just simply can't live with a phone that makes noises every time I pick it up and that makes a loud noise every time I receive a text. Especially during a meeting.

Thoughts?

I'm glad to see your getting a response from Nokia at least they are hopefully going to help you with it. I think I'm going to contact them as well and see what I can get from them as well. My second replacement is a little bit better, however my vibrator is about 50-75% better then my previous, the windows button has a lot more goop under it (doesn't bother me) and I think there might be a small touch issue up towards the upper right of the screen where you can tough the vibrate option when trying to select vibrate (might be me fat fingering it most of the time though cuz it seems to work the second or third time i press it)...so I don't know, but we'll see, keep us updated though on what Nokia says, they seem to be wanting to help though

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is my update with Nokia. First off, they have been VERY on top of trying to contact me. As a matter of fact, they called me on two different days already on my cell phone and I couldn't answer the call because I was in the middle of things at work. After they left two different voicemails, they followed up with an email asking me what a good time is to contact me. So I replied to the email and told them 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time today. And I will be darned if they didn't call me at 4:05. Close enough in my book!

So I spoke with Hazel, who is the one working my case. I like it too because I am only dealing with her, so it's very specialized. She asked me a lot of great questions and gave me all the time I needed to explain all of the defects that I have gone through in the 6 devices that I've had up to this point. She noted each defect in detail.

The next step is that she is going to give the research team the notes about all of the defects, and they are going to start pulling devices randomly and test them for these defects. She will then get back to me in a few days with their results. Then depending on their findings, she will discuss the next step with me.

So far, so good! I will let you know if they come through on their promises. Stay tuned....

Last edited:

Zomby Jeezus

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Wize guy, which one do you have?. I am on my second 928. I actually dropped my white one on a run and it fell directly on its corner. Screen shattered...im fine with that, stupid me for not buying a case. I didn't think there was any issue with the white glossy body and the vibration of a text,email,phone call ect.. However, with my matte black replacement, I DEFINITELY notice a difference with the vibration. It is strangely much louder.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Wize guy, which one do you have?. I am on my second 928. I actually dropped my white one on a run and it fell directly on its corner. Screen shattered...im fine with that, stupid me for not buying a case. I didn't think there was any issue with the white glossy body and the vibration of a text,email,phone call ect.. However, with my matte black replacement, I DEFINITELY notice a difference with the vibration. It is strangely much louder.

I have had 5 white and 2 black, they all suffer from the same issues unfortunately. It's just all a crap shoot.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Is the exchange period only 14 days? I bought mine outright from a corporate Verizon store but now mine frequently dies over night, and sometimes doesn't respond to the power button. Of course my 14 days are up.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Is the exchange period only 14 days? I bought mine outright from a corporate Verizon store but now mine frequently dies over night, and sometimes doesn't respond to the power button. Of course my 14 days are up.

No, the return period is 14 days. You have one year through Verizon, which is why I never get their insurance. It doesn't make sense to me. So all you have to do is go into a store for a replacement or call Verizon customer service.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
the insurance covers accidental damage as well (with deductible) whereas the 1 year that comes with the phone is for manufacturer defects only. I get it bc I don't put a case on my phone most of the time.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
the insurance covers accidental damage as well (with deductible) whereas the 1 year that comes with the phone is for manufacturer defects only. I get it bc I don't put a case on my phone most of the time.
How much is insurance, typically, if purchased through Verizon?

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I think it's $6.99 a month. And yes, the insurance covers accidental damage, but during the first year, manufacturer defects are covered by the OEM warranty.

Yep, also with a hefty deductible...

You might want to consider buying a warranty from SquareTrade. I never have but I've heard very good things and I believe they're around $25 for two years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The insurance from the Microsoft Store is $99 for two years, and the deductible is $50, compared to I think $100 for the Verizon insurance. If you can put out the $99 up front, the Microsoft deal is better, even though I'm generally an opponent of "extended warranties" (having worked for an extended warranty division of one of the largest insurance companies in the world for several years). So I guess I should really not say that the Microsoft deal is better, but that the Microsoft deal isn't as bad.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep, also with a hefty deductible...

You might want to consider buying a warranty from SquareTrade. I never have but I've heard very good things and I believe they're around $25 for two years.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

yea i believe the deductible is 100 bucks

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
yea i believe the deductible is 100 bucks

Yea with Verizon it's $100...but, you pay $83.88 per year ($6.99 * 12) and if you get a corporate discount (I get 23%) its' lower. It covers as a extended warranty too, so if the phone is 1 year, it should give you 2 years.

I guess in the long run, if you have it a year then drop it, it's only costing you total of $183.88, it's a lot better than $500 for a replacement phone...

I guess with Verizon (no local MS store within 125 miles), it's not too bad of a deal to pay about $85 a year for the piece of mind....

AND the Verizon insurance is tied to your number, not to the phone (2 reps told me this) so if you use a LTE based phone and swap Sim time to time to a different phone, what ever phone your using is covered...

Trust me, drop and break your phone once and you will wish you had the insurance...No question on a $500+ phone, the insurance is worth every dime of it...for something you carry with you everywhere and depend on so much.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Except that now Verizon's corporate discounts are only applied to the base plan. Not added services, not added lines. Just the base "share everything X GB" part of the bill.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
also, you get in store break fix and defective phone swaps for free on the insurance. I have never lost money on it, always paid for itself (my wife EATS phones).

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I decide to e-mail Mr. Elop as well, I've only exchanged twice, but decided it's the way to go versus trying to go through 15 exchanges with Verizon, we'll see what they say instead

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Received the same response this morning that he has asked his team to help this morning. I'll post my e-mail/his later on today. Feel bad hi-jacking your thread a bit, but it's probably good information to be gathered all in one thread as it seems all three of us now have e-mailed him and maybe more. (You, hop and me for sure)

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Received the same response this morning that he has asked his team to help this morning. I'll post my e-mail/his later on today. Feel bad hi-jacking your thread a bit, but it's probably good information to be gathered all in one thread as it seems all three of us now have e-mailed him and maybe more. (You, hop and me for sure)

Hey no worries man, glad you got a response! I'm happy that you emailed him, I think the more people that bring the same issues to their attention, the better the phone will become.

Please keep us all updated. Hop and myself are waiting for the Nokia location that we are dealing with to get some in stock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster