Should I exchange my 928 again?

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
They let you exchange it 3 times without problem? I thought they'd make a big fuss out of that, especially the 2nd and 3rd time. What were the problems the first 3 times? It's pretty rare for someone to get 4 phones in a row that are defective.

As for the slight creaking, I think that's normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

I am on my sixth 928. Three white and three black. Most people won't receive a defective one but I have been very unlucky (I won't be buying a lottery ticket anytime soon). If you are paying full price then by all means demand a solid phone. Mine creaks slightly on the back and I think it is just some empty space in the construction of the phone. Most of mine had non-existent Windows buttons and a couple with broken power buttons. Do what you feel comfortable with. This is a $500 purchase.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am on my sixth 928. Three white and three black. Most people won't receive a defective one but I have been very unlucky (I won't be buying a lottery ticket anytime soon). If you are paying full price then by all means demand a solid phone. Mine creaks slightly on the back and I think it is just some empty space in the construction of the phone. Most of mine had non-existent Windows buttons and a couple with broken power buttons. Do what you feel comfortable with. This is a $500 purchase.

Was your creaking on the white or black versions? Or both?

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey no worries man, glad you got a response! I'm happy that you emailed him, I think the more people that bring the same issues to their attention, the better the phone will become.

Please keep us all updated. Hop and myself are waiting for the Nokia location that we are dealing with to get some in stock.

Which Nokia location are you dealing with? Just so I have an idea for when they get back to me. I got the e-mail with my case incident information today, don't expect to start hearing much until tomorrow really. I'll post up the e-mails tonight sometime when I have a chance, things have been pretty busy between home/work haha.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They're aware. I've sent them pictures as well as links to this thread and the thread that someone else posted a picture in. FYI, they've got me in kind of a hold for now - they don't have any 928s in stock. To be fair, I told her that my issue does not affect functionality, and is purely cosmetic, so I'm in no rush - just make sure it's a good phone. She appreciated that. Actually, I'm kind of hoping that it will take long enough that the red one will be out and they'll send me red. Hey, a guy can hope, right?

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well these are defects which will be fixed... No point replacing 10 phones.. you are stopping 10 pple from buying it as it will be marked as refurbished... If it is cosmetic, why cant you guys wait and get it fixed later on?. Anyw new phones will have these defects which only anal pple can find and yes they are defects and will be fixed.. just like the dust in FFC issues with 920. Creaking,, well I don't know I don't press my phones that much to creak..

Anyway it is just my thought. I am not complaining about pple who are anal. I am anal about things too.. but wait and you have one year to get it fixed. If you want WP to be around you need more pple on it and one person exchanging 10 phones is not going to help.

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
They're aware. I've sent them pictures as well as links to this thread and the thread that someone else posted a picture in. FYI, they've got me in kind of a hold for now - they don't have any 928s in stock. To be fair, I told her that my issue does not affect functionality, and is purely cosmetic, so I'm in no rush - just make sure it's a good phone. She appreciated that. Actually, I'm kind of hoping that it will take long enough that the red one will be out and they'll send me red. Hey, a guy can hope, right?

Haha, one can definitely hope hopmedic, but I have a feeling Nokia will take care of us truthfully...I'm not in that big of a rush either, truthfully I can wait myself as well, the vibrate on this one isn't killing me as much as my first one did, I wanted to throw my first one against the nearest wall after the first week of hearing it vibrate; especially throughout the night when I received e-mails and sadly woke up to it sounding like it was about to transform into some random transformer and kick my ****! LOL. That's when I knew I had enough and brought it in for the replacement. That's why I followed suit with this one and e-mailed Nokia so they are aware and can address the issues directly.

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's the e-mail I received from Nokia and also my original e-mail to them. I've since gotten my case number and am still waiting to hear back further. Of course I will keep updates on this thread, as we all seem to do here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Elop,

First, I?d like to say congratulations on a great device launch on Verizon Wireless with the Nokia 928. I absolutely love this phone and have re-fallen in love with Windows 8 and remember again why I chose Windows 8 over the competitors. I was on an HTC 8X prior to moving to my Nokia 928 and gave that up when the Nokia 928 was released. The amount of excitement that built around the device had me on edge up until the release date and I was at the store the day it released.

On that note, I am currently on my second 928 and am still currently having issues and wanted to address them directly to you as I felt this should be addressed directly to Nokia instead to be resolved. My first Nokia 928 had a defective vibrator on it that when it vibrated it sounded like it was ready to pop out of the case, the Windows logo had what appeared to be glue behind it, and the buttons were yellowish. All of this was disheartening of the Nokia build quality I knew and especially comparatively the quality that I came from of my HTC 8X. Due to these issues that I was having I gave it some time to make sure it wasn?t me just over-reacting and it continued to ensue so I exchanged the phone at the Verizon store.

The second phone I received from Verizon had the similar issues with a glue like substance on the Windows logo, this one much worse, the vibrator is a little bit better but does still sound like it wants to pop out, just much quieter then my last one, the buttons are still yellowish, and the upper right of the screen when bringing up the option to activate the vibrate/sound option does not always work, it seems like it doesn?t always sense my touch.

I do take any chances I get to show the phone off to individuals, especially in the office or clients and I feel these features could detract from the ability to show off Windows/Nokia.

As I stated I wanted to address these issues directly to you. I really don't want to ship it to Nokia and be without a phone for a couple weeks as it will take away my ability to be able to work on the go and answer the phone. I would rather get a new phone shipped so I can inspect it first and then ship the defective unit back if the new one checks out OK. I would be willing to put a deposit or hold on my credit card, etc.

Thank you,

Jacob

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Well these are defects which will be fixed... No point replacing 10 phones.. you are stopping 10 pple from buying it as it will be marked as refurbished... If it is cosmetic, why cant you guys wait and get it fixed later on?. Anyw new phones will have these defects which only anal pple can find and yes they are defects and will be fixed.. just like the dust in FFC issues with 920. Creaking,, well I don't know I don't press my phones that much to creak..

Anyway it is just my thought. I am not complaining about pple who are anal. I am anal about things too.. but wait and you have one year to get it fixed. If you want WP to be around you need more pple on it and one person exchanging 10 phones is not going to help.

because it would be out of warranty if you just wait. Your limited on time.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
because it would be out of warranty if you just wait. Your limited on time.

Also, would it be free to get something like that fixed/replaced for free outside of the 14 day replacement window but within the one year warranty? Or would you be paying something?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to pay while in 1 year warranty.

Well what I don't understand is if you have gone thru 2 or 3 I can understand. But beyond that it is a defect you have to live with.. if you cannot live with it then you need to just co with some other phone.. I don't see what is the point in getting things replaces for cosmetic issues beyond 2 or 3 handsets. It looks like there is a defect in one of the component and that will be fixed in due course. Like the dust in FFC in 920. They have created a fix and you can send in your handset to get it fixed. If 10 ppls start replacing 8 devices, you leave 70 other phones from being sold..

How will the market share grow and how will the sales rep recommend the phone?

warreo

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to pay while in 1 year warranty.

Well what I don't understand is if you have gone thru 2 or 3 I can understand. But beyond that it is a defect you have to live with.. if you cannot live with it then you need to just co with some other phone.. I don't see what is the point in getting things replaces for cosmetic issues beyond 2 or 3 handsets. It looks like there is a defect in one of the component and that will be fixed in due course. Like the dust in FFC in 920. They have created a fix and you can send in your handset to get it fixed. If 10 ppls start replacing 8 devices, you leave 70 other phones from being sold..

How will the market share grow and how will the sales rep recommend the phone?

Your last question is relevant, but your logic placing the onus on the consumer to accept whatever product Nokia puts out is seriously flawed. If market share doesn't grow and sales reps don't recommend the phone, it's because Nokia didn't put out a quality phone. If there were no issues, there would be fewer returns. End of story. Why should we have to live with an issue we don't like while we wait around for Nokia to fix said problem? The simple answer is we shouldn't, and unfortunately for Nokia, we don't have to.

Please don't make the assumption that you are somehow the only one on these boards that supports Nokia/WP8 because you "live" with these issues. Accepting mediocrity is not the way companies succeed. Only by putting their feet to the fire and demanding something that will actually stand up to a Galaxy or iPhone in terms of both functionality, aesthetics, and build quality will it actually happen. If it doesn't happen...then yes, I suppose I'll go with another phone, despite my hopes otherwise. I'll vote with my wallet, just like everyone else will according to their own values, and that's fine. The world will keep spinning. But I think you'll find the end game will be less than satisfactory for Nokia if it can't even keep someone like me, who has avidly supported both Nokia and the WP ecosystem for the last 2 years, as a customer.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. You'll find that our return of defective products will push Nokia to improve things, as they know that if they don't, they die. Their products need to be BETTER than the rest, because if they are to make it with the lesser-known OS, they MUST be better.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. You'll find that our return of defective products will push Nokia to improve things, as they know that if they don't, they die. Their products need to be BETTER than the rest, because if they are to make it with the lesser-known OS, they MUST be better.

*cue dramatic and/or patriotic music*

*waving flag with live tiles in the background*

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Replacing phones up to 10 times instead of simply getting a different brand? One has to ask themselves: When do such actions cross over the line to pathology -- psychopathology, that is?

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Replacing phones up to 10 times instead of simply getting a different brand? One has to ask themselves: When do such actions cross over the line to pathology -- psychopathology, that is?

Well, now, that isn't very nice.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess that it shows the potential of the 928 that someone would be willing to exchange it that many times. If a phone can generate that level of loyalty it must be a damn fine phone.... With a few initial run quality control issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6