Verizon - good news

krycek1984

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I went to pick up my 928 yesterday and the reps were really enthusiastic about it. The one rep had one on order, getting rid of his note. They were excited about its features. Just thought I'd let everyone know good news instead of bad!

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
When I picked up my 920 at AT&T on launch day they were all very enthusiastic about it. It's just that people feel more compelled to write about their negative experiences than positive ones. That being said there is still plenty of room for improvement in getting more sales reps on board.

Thomas A

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Hate to rain on the parade, but the official Verizon reseller didn't even know what a "Luma" was, even though they had black ones in stock. Drove to the nearest official store and the sales lady immediately questioned my decision and tried to sell me an Android phone. She was very nice about it and backed off as soon as she realized I knew what I wanted, but it was still a bit of a bummer.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been monitoring Verizon's website every day since the 928 launched. The homepage cycles between 5 featured phones, one of them was the 928 until today: now the 5 rotating phones are pretty much just Android devices. What a shame. I thought they would do a better job of pushing the 928. Taking it off their homepage less than 2 weeks from launch is pretty disappointing (although it is listed under the 'top sellers' section, so perhaps it is selling somewhat well, I hope).

Likewise, if you click on the 'smartphones' tab under the 'shop' header, the first 3 categories are Androids. You have to scroll halfway down the page before you get to the Windows Phones (although, it is still above the iPhones, but I was hoping they'd put Windows phones front and center).

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been monitoring Verizon's website every day since the 928 launched. The homepage cycles between 5 featured phones, one of them was the 928 until today: now the 5 rotating phones are pretty much just Android devices.

Well, if you had been looking more often, you would have seen that same thing happening at least three times already. It goes away and withing few hours to 24h it comes back.

So I wouldn't make any conclusions if Lumia 928 is not there NOW. It will be there again. I don't know why they do it.

Heresy64

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hate to rain on the parade, but the official Verizon reseller didn't even know what a "Luma" was, even though they had black ones in stock. Drove to the nearest official store and the sales lady immediately questioned my decision and tried to sell me an Android phone. She was very nice about it and backed off as soon as she realized I knew what I wanted, but it was still a bit of a bummer.
I had a similar experience the other day in a Verizon store. I came in and said I wanted to look at the Lumia 928. The rep didn't even know where the display was. I found it before she did. Then, she knew nothing about the phone and told me how great her Galaxy Note was and that I should come back the next day because the Galaxy S4 was launching. Pathetic, really.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you had been looking more often, you would have seen that same thing happening at least three times already. It goes away and withing few hours to 24h it comes back.

Agh, I knew I shouldn't have taken those bathroom breaks. Now I look foolish for abandoning my post. Nevertheless, I just checked again now and it's till not one of their 'featured 5'. I'm sure it will rotate back in at some point in time, but the take-home point is that it should be there every time, at least according to pre-launch rumors that they were really going to back this phone with zeal. It's only been two weeks since launch and it's already fighting for playing time. I was hoping for more from them.

krycek1984

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...the windows phone display in all the vzw stores I go in are right near the front and very obvious. They were talking about how the rep came out and had them take a picture in the bathroom to show off the lowlight capabilities.

It really is interesting how opinions vary from store to store...some are gung-ho, others couldn't care less about WP.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A couple months ago at a restaurant I met a Verizon regional rep with a WP8 device (I don't recall which one). He was using it partially to become familiar with WP8, but he said he also carries a Nexus because there are some things he needs for the job that are impossible to do with WP8.

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The person who worked with me knew where it was and a bit about it, though they mentioned how it was really heavy compared to others. Otherwise they didn't really try talking me out of it.

FaTROBoT97

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Windows Phone 8 is not the lack of knowledge for the product by Verizon ( Authorized Retailers are on there own as far as researching phones unless there rep stops by which is about once every 2 weeks) as every rep has to do trainings on new higher end devices but that there is little to no accessory support for the phone at all. Reps are driven to sell as much accessories with the phone to add to there commission bottom line and when you look at the offerings for accessories that Verizon carries for the 928 its Two silicone cases, The Nokia Wireless Charger, and thats it.

Take away BlueTooth options or other fringe accessories and you will see why reps don't show it.

Where as the Galaxy S4 has a huge presence in store. More opportunity to sell a nice case with a S4 (The Smart Flip Cover is $59.99 while the silicone is $19.99)

Some reps sell with there heart, but most sell with there wallet in mind. I do the same sometimes even though I love my 928. I wish the 928 had the same love the 920 got accessory wise.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Windows Phone 8 is not the lack of knowledge for the product by Verizon ( Authorized Retailers are on there own as far as researching phones unless there rep stops by which is about once every 2 weeks) as every rep has to do trainings on new higher end devices but that there is little to no accessory support for the phone at all. Reps are driven to sell as much accessories with the phone to add to there commission bottom line and when you look at the offerings for accessories that Verizon carries for the 928 its Two silicone cases, The Nokia Wireless Charger, and thats it.

Take away BlueTooth options or other fringe accessories and you will see why reps don't show it.

Where as the Galaxy S4 has a huge presence in store. More opportunity to sell a nice case with a S4 (The Smart Flip Cover is $59.99 while the silicone is $19.99)

Some reps sell with there heart, but most sell with there wallet in mind. I do the same sometimes even though I love my 928. I wish the 928 had the same love the 920 got accessory wise.

That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of before. Today I went to the Verizon store and, while waiting 30 minutes for a rep to help me, I was observing a couple playing with the Lumia 928. They also waited 30 or so minutes for a rep to help them and were passing time playing with the device. Finally the rep comes over and this is how the conversation went down:
Rep: "So, your husband said you want to buy this Windows Phone...."
Woman: "Yep."
Rep: "Umm, have you played around with it?"
Woman: "Yes...for the past 30 minutes".
Rep: "And you liked the operating system? What we're hearing is that a lot of people hate it."
Woman: "The live tiles? I like them. I was doing some research online and they seem really cool."
Rep: "Oh, okay. Great, great. I guess a lot of people either love it or hate it. Anyway, yeah, this [Lumia 928] phone has a pretty good camera. Eight-point something megapixels. Although, if you are after a great camera, the Galaxy S4 is the way to go. It has 13 megapixels."
Woman: "I see. Well, I had an Android for the past 3 years. I liked it, but I kind of was more intrigued with the Windows Phone."
Rep: "Ah, okay. That's great. And, if you don't like it, you have 14 days to return it, no problem."

I was pretty close to intervening and saying, "Don't listen to him. The Lumia 928 is awesome. You'll love it". But, I kept my mouth shut. I thought maybe one more reason they keep pushing people toward Android is because they don't like getting phones returned and they think people who switch will be uncomfortable and return it right away, which causes problems, I'm sure. But this guy was actively encouraging her to return the phone she hadn't even bought yet.

easyrun99

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I use bricks-and-mortar stores to get a little hands-on with phones, but I generally won't buy there. I decide what I want and buy online. Avoid the cross-selling hassels. If I want to return I still have the option to mail it back or take to a corporate store.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
When I went home for Christmas my experience at an AT&T store in the Cape Cod Maul was very positive as every single person working there whipped out a Lumia 920 when I asked about it. Of course I had ordered mine from AT&T online and it had NOT arrived before I left for Xmas. ;(

After reading about the 928 being available for $49.99 at RadioShack, I went in there with my new not-girlfriend as she is quite keen on the phone. Noone in there had any clue that it was being offered at that price, nor did they even have one in the store. On the upside side, one of the reps told me he always pushes Crapple and Android products basically because he doesn't know how to sell WinPhone or who it's targeted towards. I dropped knowledge and left. Apparently RS is training anyone on Windows Phones.

Thanks

-Doc

FaTROBoT97

May 29, 2013
Visit site
That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of before. Today I went to the Verizon store and, while waiting 30 minutes for a rep to help me, I was observing a couple playing with the Lumia 928. They also waited 30 or so minutes for a rep to help them and were passing time playing with the device. Finally the rep comes over and this is how the conversation went down:
Rep: "So, your husband said you want to buy this Windows Phone...."
Woman: "Yep."
Rep: "Umm, have you played around with it?"
Woman: "Yes...for the past 30 minutes".
Rep: "And you liked the operating system? What we're hearing is that a lot of people hate it."
Woman: "The live tiles? I like them. I was doing some research online and they seem really cool."
Rep: "Oh, okay. Great, great. I guess a lot of people either love it or hate it. Anyway, yeah, this [Lumia 928] phone has a pretty good camera. Eight-point something megapixels. Although, if you are after a great camera, the Galaxy S4 is the way to go. It has 13 megapixels."
Woman: "I see. Well, I had an Android for the past 3 years. I liked it, but I kind of was more intrigued with the Windows Phone."
Rep: "Ah, okay. That's great. And, if you don't like it, you have 14 days to return it, no problem."

I was pretty close to intervening and saying, "Don't listen to him. The Lumia 928 is awesome. You'll love it". But, I kept my mouth shut. I thought maybe one more reason they keep pushing people toward Android is because they don't like getting phones returned and they think people who switch will be uncomfortable and return it right away, which causes problems, I'm sure. But this guy was actively encouraging her to return the phone she hadn't even bought yet.

It's not uncommon and mostly because the Windows 8 Phone has a higher return rate other than the iPhone 4 8gb (People think a 2 yr phone should act like the iPhone 5)

My personal observation is that people like what they know and do not want to learn a new operating system for there phone. Not that any of them are that far apart from each other but W8P has a different way of going about things.

Also, as shallow as it to say, but the lack of Facebook Game support is huge. Candy Crush is a huge game right now. But I've had people interested in the phone but the lack of support still bites it in the bum. The camera is amazing but if you do not take pictures with your phone, I feel android or iOS is a better option right now for general population.

Microsoft just needs to force these app makers hands just like they did w/ YouTube.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not uncommon and mostly because the Windows 8 Phone has a higher return rate other than the iPhone 4 8gb (People think a 2 yr phone should act like the iPhone 5)

My personal observation is that people like what they know and do not want to learn a new operating system for there phone. Not that any of them are that far apart from each other but W8P has a different way of going about things.

Also, as shallow as it to say, but the lack of Facebook Game support is huge. Candy Crush is a huge game right now. But I've had people interested in the phone but the lack of support still bites it in the bum. The camera is amazing but if you do not take pictures with your phone, I feel android or iOS is a better option right now for general population.

Microsoft just needs to force these app makers hands just like they did w/ YouTube.

eh, going to have to agree with Verizon employees selling what they know. I went to a brick and mortar corporate store after ordering from newegg. Same situation. Girl was looking at windows phones, liked everything about it.

Long story short, she bought a Note 2 after the WP was basically crapped all over by the rep.

It was unfortunate, but I wasn't going to intervene. I work for apple anyway, I SHOULD be promoting iPhones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos