Anyone kow how the 3.5mm headphone jack works?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Let me explain... I hate the idea of a hole in my 928 just letting all manner of lint and detritus into my phone. I neveruse the earpiece/headphones, why can't I just plug it up? I bought some plastic 3.5mm jack plugs. They work awesome! Plugs up the hole just fine and is very secure in the hole. The only problem is that now, whenever I listen to a phone call, I have to use he speaker bc the phone thinks I have the headphones in and is trying to route the conversartion to the headphones. The plug is a clear, plastic one. No conductivity at all. Is the 3.5mm jack built so that anything in the hole will push some contacts closed so the phone thinks a plug is there?
Don't suppose there's a way to turn it off is there? Thanks!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
When you plug in a jack, it moves one of the contacts, acting as a switch, so it puts the phone in the mode that there's a headset there. To get around this, you could cut it shorter, but then it won't be in there as secure, as the notch won't be there to hold it in.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
When you plug in a jack, it moves one of the contacts, acting as a switch, so it puts the phone in the mode that there's a headset there. To get around this, you could cut it shorter, but then it won't be in there as secure, as the notch won't be there to hold it in.

That's what I thought. It's a physical contact that's being made. I whittled the plug down little by little and by the time I got it down to the point where it wasn't resending the audio, the plug had no length was just a cap and didn't even stay in the hole. :-(

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Why not just use a small piece of electrical tape to cover the hole? Get it the same color as the phone and it will barely be noticeable. Better than sticking a foreign object into your phone.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use a small piece of electrical tape to cover the hole? Get it the same color as the phone and it will barely be noticeable. Better than sticking a foreign object into your phone.

It is a white plastic piece that is VERY low profile, almost hard to pull out unless you have some fingernails. It blends right in with the white. It's almost invisible. Better than electrical tape.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since you had to file away that much of it, here's a thought, though more risky. Instead of cutting enough of it off to stop it from activating the switch, get another one and file it down on one side , experimenting to figure out which way it has to turn to keep it from activating the switch. This is more risky because of the chance of it breaking off inside the jack, should you have to file it a lot.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Since you had to file away that much of it, here's a thought, though more risky. Instead of cutting enough of it off to stop it from activating the switch, get another one and file it down on one side , experimenting to figure out which way it has to turn to keep it from activating the switch. This is more risky because of the chance of it breaking off inside the jack, should you have to file it a lot.

I was actually thinking the same thing today. Hmm....

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just be careful you don't break it off. Also, I will point out that I warned you of the risk - so I take no responsibility should it break off! :wink:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Can you take a pic of the little plug? Maybe notching it (with something like a dremel disc) would be worthwhile. Of course, a pic of the inside of the jack would be good as well to help you.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you take a pic of the little plug? Maybe notching it (with something like a dremel disc) would be worthwhile. Of course, a pic of the inside of the jack would be good as well to help you.

I'm actually looking at getting a case that has a moveable flap that covers the hole.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans