Nokias indifference to Lumia 928

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
LoL? You have the current best cam in the market, a sub 10mm body and 130g in dimension and you said this is a bone thrown to Verizon customers?
What do you expect? gold plated custom version that attracts global fuzz? come-on!

Regarding defects HTC One has their famous battery drain and pocket toaster, some S4 suffers crazy touch response and slowdown by the end of the day. Everyone in the market is pushing the boundary, no one save from defects! However it is true that Nokia's QC plumed a lot after moving everything to China and Vietnam.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"After reading about the issues people are having with Nokia's flagship device on the nations largest carrier"

Isn't it time for you to clock-out? Your work-shift ended two hours ago..

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
In terms of cases, 920 didn't have any official cases for a few months. CC-1043 was released a good 4 months after the phone's release, plus 920 is an international device therefore cases came eventually. 928 will get cases, but not for a while I think, especially because its a Verizon only phone.

All other accessories for 920 are compatible with 928.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Loving my Lumia.

Nuff said. We as WP owners know what the shortcomings of a WP phone is. We don't need to rehash each and everything that IOS and Android have that we don't have. That said, I, we, bought our phones and are happy with them. Hopefully those that have to have something that WP doesn't offer will either be more patient or go back to IOS or Android.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is partially my point, the phone was just released and held the crown of best WP/Lumia device only up to the time the 925 was announced. If a guy waits for a flagship phone and when he finally gets it, it would be nice to think he has Nokia"s best for a little while longer. And there were more than a few cases available for iPhone 5 before it was even available. I know, apples to oranges.
First, 928 is a phone that runs an OS that has 3% of the market. And how much of that 3% is the 928? So you're comparing cases available for a phone that has a fraction of 3% of the market to a phone that has a fraction of nearly half of the market. No. Cases won't be as readily available. But they'll come.

Second, it is pointless to compare the 928 to the 925 or the 920. They are not competing. Here in the US, they are available on different carriers, and therefore are not direct competitors. In order to compare the pros and cons of one over another, you also have to compare the carriers, and that comparison is one that will vary widely from one area to another. Where I live, for instance, there is no TMO signal, my step-daughter's phone on one of Sprint's MVNOs drops all the time, and visitors with ATT drop as well. Verizon is the only option, so there's no point in comparing 928 to any of the other kings of the road. Looking at the phones alone, each has its own benefit over the others. So if you're in an area where all three signals work, great - pick which phone and go to that carrier. I'd say that the majority of us do not live in that situation, though, so we will go to the carrier that is best for us, and buy the flagship phone that is on that carrier. Why bother making all this fuss?

Loving my Lumia.
Ditto.

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
BINGO! I just picked up a 928 to replace my 8X and I'm actually more impressed with it than I thought I would be. I'm really digging Nokia and I never thought I'd say that, having owned two HTC Droids and 2 HTC Windows Phones.

Also, I've seen nothing BUT 928 commercials on TV over the past 3 weeks. Saw the same commercial 4 times when I was at the gym the other day.
First, 928 is a phone that runs an OS that has 3% of the market. And how much of that 3% is the 928? So you're comparing cases available for a phone that has a fraction of 3% of the market to a phone that has a fraction of nearly half of the market. No. Cases won't be as readily available. But they'll come.

Second, it is pointless to compare the 928 to the 925 or the 920. They are not competing. Here in the US, they are available on different carriers, and therefore are not direct competitors. In order to compare the pros and cons of one over another, you also have to compare the carriers, and that comparison is one that will vary widely from one area to another. Where I live, for instance, there is no TMO signal, my step-daughter's phone on one of Sprint's MVNOs drops all the time, and visitors with ATT drop as well. Verizon is the only option, so there's no point in comparing 928 to any of the other kings of the road. Looking at the phones alone, each has its own benefit over the others. So if you're in an area where all three signals work, great - pick which phone and go to that carrier. I'd say that the majority of us do not live in that situation, though, so we will go to the carrier that is best for us, and buy the flagship phone that is on that carrier. Why bother making all this fuss?

Ditto.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
After reading about the issues people are having with Nokia's flagship device on the nations largest carrier I am surprised that Nokia hasn't come out with a press release or an update.This is a company which is trying to get back on its feet and i am surprised about their absolute silence.
They seemed to have marketed this device claiming it has the best camera in business...it seems that the xenon flash itself is making the pictures even worse.And I keep reading about the Gunk behind the capacitive buttons.How can a company release a flagship device without even checking that.Dont they test these devices in real life before releasing them?I think a high school student is more careful about his project before turning it in than what Nokia seems to have done.
Then you come across these reps who discourage you to buy the Lumia...constantly pushing you towards the next best wonder the galaxy S4.How could Nokia and MS let this happen.When did google become bigger than MS?Verizon for one doesn't seem to give a fck about its phones to begin with.

And I absolutely see no accessories[ cases ]for the phone.Nokia's response was much tighter with the Lumia 920.I have a feeling that Nokia just wanted to get a phone for verizon and did a half assed job.They are either really dumb or they have a better phone waiting to be announced for ATT very very soon.As someone trying to buy the phone outright from verizon ..all this makes me uncomfortable to spend $$ .I hope i am wrong....for Nokia..for the people who already have this phone.

You are answering yourself. This is a low-volume niche product that no-one is expecting much from. Nokia's focus is moving completely to Asia and Europe, which further highlights the poor position this phone is bound to be in.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I get pretty poor reception on my 928. Tried a new sim and swapped out for a new 928. No where near as good as my 8x was. I'm pretty disappointed, but the second 928 (the one I have now) does not make as much noise when vibrating. Also, when the volume was up pretty high when on a call, there was a rattle that would come from the earpiece. It's not as bad on the 2nd device.

Interesting. I have a 8x now and get ok with a few possible drop spots of LTE coverage in my home. If the 928 is week on this side for signal, it could be a deal killer for me. As in the weak spots I could drop calls.

Did a new one get better results on the signal side?

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Nuff said. We as WP owners know what the shortcomings of a WP phone is. We don't need to rehash each and everything that IOS and Android have that we don't have. That said, I, we, bought our phones and are happy with them. Hopefully those that have to have something that WP doesn't offer will either be more patient or go back to IOS or Android.

Exactly. I'd consider myself a "power user" and I transitioned from the "powerful" Android platform fairly smoothly. WP is not without its shortcomings but it has its share of perks that make up for it.

srinivas ketharaju

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I went to the store again today and tried the S4 and the Lumia 928.I really wanted to love the Lumia 928,its a nice phone,,really like WP8 [especially the simplistic menu design] but i came back with mixed feelings. I did not try to respond to earlier posts without a proper hands on experience of the Lumia out of respect to the product and Nokia.
I went to the closest verizon store 2 hrs away to compare the lumia and the S4.I had almost made my mind to get the lumia in black[even grabbed a wireless charger in black even before i saw the phone]... and I was disappointed to see that they did not have a piece in black .They had the same old white phone which wasn't my choice.I played with it for a while and even tried the New S4.My love for lumia dropped after i saw the S4.
My observations of both the phones.

Lumia

1. It definitely needs a 1080 screen.What was MS thinking by throttling their os. I can live with the smaller screen but The S4 screen was really nice in all its 1080 glory.

2. Though i didn't see any lag i didn't like the fact that the scrolling is kind of slow....like each finger swipe only shows the next 5-6 apps.Not a big deal but still could have been a little faster[might have felt odd coming from android]

3.Absolutely love the simplistic menu style of WP8....compared to the mess on android

4.The Keyboard though better [than stock android] to type...will still dearly miss swype on WP8.

5.Non removable battery might become an issue in the future

6.App selection is OK..I am not hungry for apps but I cant believe they still don't have a proprietary youtube app yet.I mean MS/NOKIA must be smoking pot to be still working on it.Its almost been an year since WP8 and that should have been fixed by now.I know there are 3rd party apps but still...It just doesn't infuse too much confidence.

7.The one that surprised me the most was the camera.I compared the camera on S4 and Lumia 928 multiple times and I was surprised that the Lumia had terrible picture detail.I just couldn't explain that.The moment you zoom the picture ,its all blurry and weird.I spoke to the SA ,,he said that the securing tab might be blocking the focus and he brought his friends phone to show me some pics that he took.I asked him to take a picture in the store and i could replicate the same blurriness albeit to a lesser extenton his friends phone too_On the other hand ,The S4 took absolutely crisp images 9 out of ten times.The sharpness was still there even after zooming the pics.

8 .Built quality was definitely better on lumia 928 compared to the S4..but not by much.The stark difference was the back cover and the mini usb slot[charging] on the S4 which were outright flimsy and pathetic.

9. Still no black phones in stores,Is Nokia even awake or still in its slumber.I know verizon is alo at fault but it looks like Nokia should have made them available to start off with.

Galaxy S4

1.That screen was really good, size and quality was nice

2.Camera as I said seemed to take nice pictures

3.Built quality though not as bad as the fascinate is still pathetic at some places.

4.Removable battery a real life saver for future needs

5.There were too many icons everywhere on the home screen..if that's what they call touchwiz...i don't like it...I hope all those icons can be cleared up a bit.

6. The standard wallpaper is too goofy[can be changed i know]

7.Those menus seem to be too complicated....no wonder android+samsung crapware is taxing on the phone.Too many tabs IMO.

8.The home screen button seems to be placed too low..You can easily lose the grip on the phone trying to reach it with your thumb if u want operate with just one hand.

9.aaaaaaaand I still see lag.Not all the time but its there and just leaves a bad taste when u want to invest 700$ on a phone.Now i am aware it can be remedied but I am concerned that the system is inherently flawed and the lag will catch up as the phone ages.

To sum it up ...I wanted to love the Lumia but could not,I liked it but I liked more[usable] things in the S4[esp the screen,Notifications bar,Camera,Apps].

I liked the Lumia 928/WP8 almost wanted to have it to try WP8 but I don't think its there yet.Still love the simplistic menu style,digg it.I could just buy one just to have that simple design.I hope I get convinced to get the lumia before its too late.

All in all ..it has been a disappointing and nonproductive day.I just came back home undecided and even more confused.I am leaning towards the S4[still hate the build quality,really hate samsung even more now for going so cheap].

Last edited:

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I went to the store again today and tried the S4 and the Lumia 928.I really wanted to love the Lumia 928,its a nice phone,,really like WP8 [especially the simplistic menu design] but i came back with mixed feelings. I did not try to respond to earlier posts without a proper hands on experience of the Lumia out of respect to the product and Nokia.
I went to the closest verizon store 2 hrs away to compare the lumia and the S4.I had almost made my mind to get the lumia in black[even grabbed a wireless charger in black even before i saw the phone]... and I was disappointed to see that they did not have a piece in black .They had the same old white phone which wasn't my choice.I played with it for a while and even tried the New S4.My love for lumia dropped after i saw the S4.
My observations of both the phones.

Lumia

1. It definitely needs a 1080 screen.What was MS thinking by throttling their os. I can live with the smaller screen but The S4 screen was really nice in all its 1080 glory.

2. Though i didn't see any lag i didn't like the fact that the scrolling is kind of slow....like each finger swipe only shows the next 5-6 apps.Not a big deal but still could have been a little faster[might have felt odd coming from android]

3.Absolutely love the simplistic menu style of WP8....compared to the mess on android

4.The Keyboard though better [than stock android] to type...will still dearly miss swype on WP8.

5.Non removable battery might become an issue in the future

6.App selection is OK..I am not hungry for apps but I cant believe they still don't have a proprietary youtube app yet.I mean MS/NOKIA must be smoking pot to be still working on it.Its almost been an year since WP8 and that should have been fixed by now.I know there are 3rd party apps but still...It just doesn't infuse too much confidence.

7.The one that surprised me the most was the camera.I compared the camera on S4 and Lumia 928 multiple times and I was surprised that the Lumia had terrible picture detail.I just couldn't explain that.The moment you zoom the picture ,its all blurry and weird.I spoke to the SA ,,he said that the securing tab might be blocking the focus and he brought his friends phone to show me some pics that he took.I asked him to take a picture in the store and i could replicate the same blurriness albeit to a lesser extenton his friends phone too_On the other hand ,The S4 took absolutely crisp images 9 out of ten times.The sharpness was still there even after zooming the pics.

8 .Built quality was definitely better on lumia 928 compared to the S4..but not by much.The stark difference was the back cover and the mini usb slot[charging] on the S4 which were outright flimsy and pathetic.

9. Still no black phones in stores,Is Nokia even awake or still in its slumber.I know verizon is alo at fault but it looks like Nokia should have made them available to start off with.

Galaxy S4

1.That screen was really good, size and quality was nice

2.Camera as I said seemed to take nice pictures

3.Built quality though not as bad as the fascinate is still pathetic at some places.

4.Removable battery a real life saver for future needs

5.There were too many icons everywhere on the home screen..if that's what they call touchwiz...i don't like it...I hope all those icons can be cleared up a bit.

6. The standard wallpaper is too goofy[can be changed i know]

7.Those menus seem to be too complicated....no wonder android+samsung crapware is taxing on the phone.Too many tabs IMO.

8.The home screen button seems to be placed too low..You can easily lose the grip on the phone trying to reach it with your thumb if u want operate with just one hand.

9.aaaaaaaand I still see lag.Not all the time but its there and just leaves a bad taste when u want to invest 700$ on a phone.Now i am aware it can be remedied but I am concerned that the system is inherently flawed and the lag will catch up as the phone ages.

To sum it up ...I wanted to love the Lumia but could not,I liked it but I liked more[usable] things in the S4[esp the screen,Notifications bar,Camera,Apps].

I liked the Lumia 928/WP8 almost wanted to have it to try WP8 but I don't think its there yet.Still love the simplistic menu style,digg it.I could just buy one just to have that simple design.I hope I get convinced to get the lumia before its too late.

All in all ..it has been a disappointing and nonproductive day.I just came back home undecided and even more confused.I am leaning towards the S4[still hate the build quality,really hate samsung even more now for going so cheap].

I blindly purchased the Lumia 928 based off the Lumia 920's performance in PhoneArena's 6-way camera comparison, off the notion that the newer phone with xenon flash would be an improvement. I'm no professional camera person but I'm thoroughly satisfied with the pictures it takes and personally like how the blacks seem deeper and the images are less grainy.

Also I've had an Android for like the past 3 years so I thought switching to WP would be a refreshing twist, and it has been for me thus far. I can scroll the entire app screen in one flick, and the app selection is becoming better the more I look into it, so I'm not really having the same problems you've been experiencing.

I'm sure the S4 is a great phone and Android is an excellent OS, but again I need a change and my only real requirement is a decent camera and the 928 excels in that category for me. It does everything I want plus runs much smoother than the Nexus I upgraded from so I'm likely with this phone for the contract.

srinivas ketharaju

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I blindly purchased the Lumia 928 based off the Lumia 920's performance in PhoneArena's 6-way camera comparison, off the notion that the newer phone with xenon flash would be an improvement. I'm no professional camera person but I'm thoroughly satisfied with the pictures it takes and personally like how the blacks seem deeper and the images are less grainy.

Also I've had an Android for like the past 3 years so I thought switching to WP would be a refreshing twist, and it has been for me thus far. I can scroll the entire app screen in one flick, and the app selection is becoming better the more I look into it, so I'm not really having the same problems you've been experiencing.

I'm sure the S4 is a great phone and Android is an excellent OS, but again I need a change and my only real requirement is a decent camera and the 928 excels in that category for me. It does everything I want and runs much smoother than the Nexus I upgraded from so I'm likely with this phone for the contract.

I am quite curious regarding your experience with the flickability of apps.Is there a way to change the scroll speed in settings?I was almost convinced that the demo model might have been defective.But as i said, i was disappointed the most with the camera[again compared to s4]. Had the experience with the camera been better,I would have given Lumia a try.As i said I am torn.

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I am quite curious regarding your experience with the flickability of apps.Is there a way to change the scroll speed in settings?I was almost convinced that the demo model might have been defective.But as i said, i was disappointed the most with the camera[again compared to s4]. Had the experience with the camera been better,I would have given Lumia a try.As i said I am torn.

The phone has two sensitivity settings: normal and high, and mine is on normal so I'm not sure it has something to do with the configuration. Demo phones are usually all smudged up and grimey and it might've taken some abuse from all the people using it at the store. I can scroll 20 rows of tiles from half the screen using only moderate force.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a WP user so sorry I can't give any more detail, but I think I read somewhere that the apparent bad quality of photos when zoomed is actually a problem with the picture viewer app rather than the camera. Maybe this will jog someone's memory who is better-informed.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a WP user so sorry I can't give any more detail, but I think I read somewhere that the apparent bad quality of photos when zoomed is actually a problem with the picture viewer app rather than the camera. Maybe this will jog someone's memory who is better-informed.

You are correct. Download HD Photo Viewer from the app store for free and you see a difference. It's not the camera, it's the photo gallery app compressing the photos for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99