I have had the following 3 smart phones in order; Blackberry Storm, Droid 2, iPhone 4s. 2 Weeks ago tomorrow I picked up the Lumia 928, I had grown tired of iOS, and initially had planned on switching back to the android platform. After spending a couple weeks researching phones, the Lumia 928 really caught my attention, I picked one up on release day. My experience at the Verizon store was iffy, the salesman tried to push me away from the phone, kind of a sent up a red flag, but I walked out with one anyway.

Two weeks in, and I am sold. I have my reservations about the ecosystem, and I am concerned about Nokia & MS keeping the phone up to date, but I am enjoying the phone enough that I am going to take the plunge and keep the phone. I had initially only planned on keeping it for 2 weeks, I fully expected to return it. So what sold me?

The OS is great, a nice mix of both things I enjoyed about iOS, and android. I can have the information I want right away, be it weather, appointments, etc, I don't have to launch an app to get any sort of information, my single biggest complaint about iOS. I can customize the home screen, I can put the information where I want it, similar to android, but for more intuitive than widgets.

I don't have to dig into menus to do simple tasks such as wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode, etc.

The screen! I never thought I would want a larger phone, and that the screen quality would make a huge difference, I was wrong... cannot imagine going back.

Stability. My iphone was rock solid, it required little to no attention, it just worked. The Storm, and Droid 2 were a different animal, battery pulls, reboots, etc. I learned to live with both, and with a new ROM my droid 2 was good, but not great. Windows Phone 8 has been really good so far, I don't feel like I need to reboot the phone, and it has yet to freeze on me either. I would like the ability to close apps, but that may just be habit from my iOS and droid days. The Lumia has yet to lag / stutter, so it seems to manage apps better than the competing systems.

Games. Tying games to your xbox live username is the devil. I am a gamerscore *****, sad but true. Will I only buy games that are tied to xbox live? No, but I will look their first, haha.

Camera. It's great, with the right settings, it performs, plain and simple. I am professional photographer by trade, so I am not looking for something too serious, and this fits the bill. I have no problems pulling out my phone and taking candids of my family, or fun photos of locations I am traveling.

What is it missing? My biggest concerns.

Spotify, the app is... just ok. I really miss the radio stations. I can use pandora for that, but I am paying $10 a month for spotify and would like the full feature set.

No google apps, specifically google books. I read a lot on my iphone, when I was sitting around waiting, I would open a book and read for 10 or 15 minutes. The only dedicated major ebook player is the kindle app, I will start buying my books from amazon, but its a big deal to not have my google book, and nook library available.

Little things. I would like to be able to set a specific ringtone for each of my email accounts, this should not be difficult... maybe I am missing something? Why oh why cant I just have the top bar show all the time? Drives me MAD.

Future support. I do believe this is my biggest concern. Is windows phone 8 a big enough player that verizon, nokia, and microsoft continue to support the phone over the life of my contract? Will developers finally take the OS serious and develop apps to go along side the iOS and android OS's? I haven't found any major gaps in app selection, but it is still a concern.

Everyone who has seen my phone, used the OS has been surprised with it. It's intuitive, deep, yet simple enough to not overwhelm. I can access the information the way I want to, not the way the OS decides I should, that's the part I enjoy the most. I look forward to getting to know many of you as I dig into WP8 more and more, hopefully I wont regret diving in!
    05-29-2013 11:35 AM
    Glad you like the phone / OS, but way too much information.
    05-29-2013 01:00 PM
    Nice review. I like that you are able to point out the flaws and benefits the phone has for you in a non-inflammatory way.

Also, I too am a Freddy and I live in Utah.
    05-29-2013 04:04 PM
    I actually read that. Nice work.

Try Nokia music as an alternative to Spotify. Its a different service that essentially creates radio stations made from stuff you like.

Anyway, give it a try, its free and its built in.

Glad you like the camera, i hear lots of pro photographers that like the 92x cameras. You guys get that it is still just a phone camera. Its amazing at what it does, and produces great shots. Its not a pro grade cam. But its on a phone. That's the bit that seems to get lost on people.
    05-29-2013 04:36 PM
    Nice review. I like that you are able to point out the flaws and benefits the phone has for you in a non-inflammatory way.

Also, I too am a Freddy and I live in Utah.
    Funny story, my name isn't freddy... it's Brady. When I answer the phone I tend to rush / mumble I guess, so people call all the time asking for Freddy, haha. Small world though. Thanks for reading too.
    05-29-2013 04:52 PM
    I do feellike Verizon will probably keep this phone up to date. The trophy got all majorOS updates except 7.8 and that was well after they had switched focus to WP8. Ibelieve Microsoft also said when unveiling Windows Phone 8 that all phoneswould receive at least two years of support. However they also announced anenthusiast program that would grant early access to updates which as far as Iknow has never materialized.
    05-29-2013 08:05 PM
    No google apps, specifically google books. I read a lot on my iphone, when I was sitting around waiting, I would open a book and read for 10 or 15 minutes. The only dedicated major ebook player is the kindle app, I will start buying my books from amazon, but its a big deal to not have my google book, and nook library available.
    Hi, welcome to the WP family. For reading, check out Bookviser, good app. Syncs with Skydrive, can download from web etc..
    05-31-2013 03:11 AM
    Nice review, thank you.
    05-31-2013 02:51 PM
    My impressions are pretty much the same about WP being a mix somewhere between iOS and Android. It's like it has the functionality of Android but streamlined in the way iPhones are.

Same with the screen. I always thought my sweet spot was 4" and bought the Lumia 928 without even checking, and every time I go back to my old Android it feels like things are a little cramped. It might attributed to how WP uses tiles as compared to icons on Android so it makes better use of onscreen real estate.

My only gripes are minor issues like not having more control over things like volumes or ringtone settings. It'd also be good to have things like a way to make NFC payments or to receive push notifications from Gmail (though I think they're working on this). Google in general is a big thing missing on WP. I've established nearly a decade's worth of personalized data with them, so I'm reluctant to do anything web-related on the phone. I'm hoping the platform could gain more marketshare so they'd be more inclined to bring their services over like they've done with iOS.
    05-31-2013 03:36 PM