928 vs. 8x

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I am debating which whether to buy HTCx 8x or Nokia 928 when my Verizon contract expires in a few weeks. I was leaning toward the 928...until yesterday when tested the 8x, 928 and GS4 in the Verizon store. I am coming from a Moto RAZR original

Observations: (1) Screen. Side-by-side comparison of the 8x and 928 showed that whites are really washed out on the 928. I thought maybe there was a difference in brightness setup, but that wasnt the issue. The blacks were def better on the 928, but white whites looked almost ivory colored on the 928 vs. white on 8x. (2) The camera on the GS4 blew away the 928 when I took a couple of quick shots around the store. It may have been that the 928 had an inferior screen and that on a computer, the 928 would have better photos (3) The 8x felt much better in my hand--though the 928 wasnt bad.

The GS4 significanty surpassed my expectations--though I wont buy one because I despise Android and its laggyness (sometime apps take 15 seconds to open on RAZR; other times my phone will ring, but I cannot answer it because the phone is unresponsive...I actually do hate android).

I am looking for is confirmation of my observations; I recognize that this is anecdotal, and am therefore seeking additional feedback. Thanks

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am debating which whether to buy HTCx 8x or Nokia 928 when my Verizon contract expires in a few weeks. I was leaning toward the 928...until yesterday when tested the 8x, 928 and GS4 in the Verizon store. I am coming from a Moto RAZR original

Observations: (1) Screen. Side-by-side comparison of the 8x and 928 showed that whites are really washed out on the 928. I thought maybe there was a difference in brightness setup, but that wasnt the issue. The blacks were def better on the 928, but white whites looked almost ivory colored on the 928 vs. white on 8x. (2) The camera on the GS4 blew away the 928 when I took a couple of quick shots around the store. It may have been that the 928 had an inferior screen and that on a computer, the 928 would have better photos (3) The 8x felt much better in my hand--though the 928 wasnt bad.

The GS4 significanty surpassed my expectations--though I wont buy one because I despise Android and its laggyness (sometime apps take 15 seconds to open on RAZR; other times my phone will ring, but I cannot answer it because the phone is unresponsive...I actually do hate android).

I am looking for is confirmation of my observations; I recognize that this is anecdotal, and am therefore seeking additional feedback. Thanks

I had both and I would highly recommend the 928 over the 8X....only if you get a defect free one. A lot of the 928's are carrying some defect or another it seems. But aside from that, the phone is much better than the 8X IMO. Yeah the whites won't be as nice as an LCD screen, but of course the blacks will be better and I think the overall color and saturation are also better. When I did a side by side of overall screen appearance, I always gravitate towards the 928. Just more punch to it.

The camera on the 928 is very good, especially in low light. But for some odd reason, the photo gallery app that comes with the 928 compresses the images for some reason so you aren't really seeing the pics that you snapped in all of their glory. There is a free app called HD Photo Viewer that gives you a much better representation of the photos that you snapped.

As far as the feeling in your hand, only you can decide that one.

I would go with the 928, but that's just me.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The 928 has a bigger battery, an AMOLED screen which saves even more energy and and a much better camera (the 8X doesn't perform that well especially in close-up shots). The 928 has also very short shutter speeds (especially when you take photos with flash). While the 8X is slimmer, has beats audio, Super LCD and has a very wide angle front camera. The rear camera is also pretty good. But the 928 is better. My personal opinion is the 928 as it is a much newer device and its better. The 8X is also a very good device. If you prefer weight, thickness, front camera angle and audio quality, the 8X is perfect for you. If you prefer a bigger battery, a screen that saves battery and produces deeper blacks, a very good camera with Xenon flash and much better customer support, the 928 is perfect for you.

Hope this helps!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I think the jury is still out on the battery life. No doubt, the 8X has less memory and the screen on the 928 will be much better outside. The camera on the 8X is very good, even macro shots look great to me, and the camera on the 928 is "supposed" to be awesome. It is for low-light and video on the 928, but the quality on the regular shots has been debated. Otherwise, the difference is in the appearance and feel and button placement. The 8X is just plain sexy, feels good in the hand, and fits well in a pocket.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I think the jury is still out on the battery life. No doubt, the 8X has less memory and the screen on the 928 will be much better outside. The camera on the 8X is very good, even macro shots look great to me, and the camera on the 928 is "supposed" to be awesome. It is for low-light and video on the 928, but the quality on the regular shots has been debated. Otherwise, the difference is in the appearance and feel and button placement. The 8X is just plain sexy, feels good in the hand, and fits well in a pocket.

Don't you just know it!!!!

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... I received a Verizon APN software package by mistake that is about LTE on a Samsung WP8 device. I use an international Ativ S. I wonder if Verizon is adding a LTE WP8 from Samsung based on the Ativ S.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I had to reread that. I thought you meant RAM when you said memory. Storage is a better word.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My personal opinion is the 928 as it is a much newer device and its better. The 8X is also a very good device. If you prefer weight, thickness, front camera angle and audio quality, the 8X is perfect for you. If you prefer a bigger battery, a screen that saves battery and produces deeper blacks, a very good camera with Xenon flash and much better customer support, the 928 is perfect for you.

Yep! My office mate has an 8x. I just got my 928 last night and brought it into the office today. We compared side-by-side and I actually felt bad for him. The 928 screen looks so much more vivid, brighter and colorful. The difference in home screen appearance alone is just huge :grin:

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends how big your hands are, and how big you want the phone to be.
If you have big hands and want bigger phone, get the 928.
If you have small hands and want a smaller phone, get the 8x.

Vice versa.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
OP: Be careful of judging based on quick observations in a store. The photo/video of the 928 far surpass the 8x or the GS4. Particularly the video. The screens are both nice, but one thing is that soon the Amber update should let us adjust the 928's screen color temperature. So if you like a cooler spectrum you'll be able to fix that. Personally I don't like the 8x's aspect ratio, on phones as well as on computer monitors.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
928. I have had them both. The 8X is a fine phone, and a lot smaller. But the 928s screen is better looking, and larger. The larger screen makes typing easier. Battery life seems better. Oddly, while I have the home screens set up the same I see more of the home screen on the 8X. But the 928 is better for reading, brighter and colors are more saturated. You can actually find the buttons on it, too! :) Camera is better. If you don't mind the extra size and weight, the 928 is the way to go.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oddly, while I have the home screens set up the same I see more of the home screen on the 8X.

This is because the screen resolutions are different.
928: 1280 x 768
8x : 1280 x 720

Since the 928 has more pixels in the width of the phone, it resizes the tiles larger (pixel count, not necessarily screen size), to take the full width of the screen, and in order to keep them square, the height is increased as well.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Without having read any of the above comments, just the subject here's my take.

Go ahead and get the 8X if thats what you fancy. Don't come back here in a few months crying that your phone is dirty,falling apart, and that HTC doesn't give a dam.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Without having read any of the above comments, just the subject here's my take.

Go ahead and get the 8X if thats what you fancy. Don't come back here in a few months crying that your phone is dirty,falling apart, and that HTC doesn't give a dam.

Nice. That'll encourage him to come back for help....

As for the S4 and Android - understand a couple of things. One, the S4 is one H*** of a phone. There is a lot of horsepower in that little thing. Two, Android is much faster than it used to be. I haven't seen any of the kind of lagginess you are talking about in a long time. At this point, I'd have to say that in terms of performance, there is NO top end smartphone that doesn't kick ****. W8 however is fast becoming my choice because, like iOS, it Just Works out of the box. So does Android, actually, but it takes a bit of fiddling to get it set up how you like it. That's a beauty of it imho. And it's not as locked in as iOS. So it occupies that middle ground.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Been using a 8X for a while now and have a 928, the 8X Nice phone, takes very good pictures with good light, It's nice and slim. Super LCD is very nice, it's a clear sharp image.

The 928 is a bigger phone, it takes better pictures (darker light is better, bright light is pretty close),

I like the status light on the 8X, it shows a red light (by the earphone) when the phone is charging and goes green when it's full. It blinks for notications and I watched that a lot. The Nokia does not have this.

If you need the more space and really into photos, the 928 but, if 16gb will do with very good picture quality, take a look at the 8X, you might actually like it better (feels a little better in the hand).

The displays are nice on both of them, but, all depending on size what you need.

And for the HTC quality issues, you get a good one, you should be all set, They are over all dependable phones, I would bet there has been less issues with the 8X over the 928 as for bugs..

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Been using a 8X for a while now and have a 928, the 8X Nice phone, takes very good pictures with good light, It's nice and slim. Super LCD is very nice, it's a clear sharp image.

The 928 is a bigger phone, it takes better pictures (darker light is better, bright light is pretty close),

I like the status light on the 8X, it shows a red light (by the earphone) when the phone is charging and goes green when it's full. It blinks for notications and I watched that a lot. The Nokia does not have this.

If you need the more space and really into photos, the 928 but, if 16gb will do with very good picture quality, take a look at the 8X, you might actually like it better (feels a little better in the hand).

The displays are nice on both of them, but, all depending on size what you need.

And for the HTC quality issues, you get a good one, you should be all set, They are over all dependable phones, I would bet there has been less issues with the 8X over the 928 as for bugs..

Unless there was a very recent update on the 8X to add this feature, the "notification light" doesn't actually blink for notifications. It only shows the charging status which is a bloody shame. Why even have it if you don't use it for notifications?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99