928 vs. 8x

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have an 8x. I like it. Been using it since Day ONE on VZW. I want the experience of Nokia apps so I am thinking of going 928 but want to get in to a store to feel it out. For me, the 32GB of memory makes it a no-brainer.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Two phones with nearly identical hardware and running the same OS. The difference maker is customer support and Nokia has that in that bag. Nokia has a laundry list of exclusive content and is much more connected to Lumia owners and the smartphone community. Can anyone remember the last time HTC even acknowledged the 8X?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I too like my 8x but am seriously trying to get my hands on the 928. Love the camera and the oled screen!

I though that would be a big upgrade from the 8X but, on the 928 if I am off axis a little, it gets a green tone to the screen. Just by moving the phone a little the color changes. Dont get me wrong, it's a much nicer screen in color wise but, that off axis bothers me a little. The 8X as not a brilant but, not a problem with the off axis a little.

Is that just something from OLED displays as I have never had a device with that type of display ?

As for the camera, in very good light, side by side, with a test I did, it's hard to see the difference between the 8X and 928. The 928 is really good on the video side (with the shake) and low light but, in good light, camera is very close.

My correction, Noticed that light on the 8X is only for charging, sorry about my last post, I will admit, i do use that in the morning to see the green light ever day to make sure the phone is charged with out having to turn the phone on.

Side by side 8X and 928, the 928 feels larger and weighs more. The 8X just feels sleek in the hands. The 8X wins on this one.

I only upgraded because of the Space (11.2 gb vs. 26.4gb, usable space after a hard reset). If you have a 8X, you have to ask yourself, besides the camera, is about 10-12gb worth the cost of entry of $400-500 to get into it ? Sure the 928 is a really nice phone but, $500 more of a better phone ? Not sure about that one.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Side by side 8X and 928, the 928 feels larger and weighs more. The 8X just feels sleek in the hands. The 8X wins on this one.
I haven't had an 8x, so just making observations, here. I can't argue this at all. 928 is definitely a big phone.

I only upgraded because of the Space (11.2 gb vs. 26.4gb, usable space after a hard reset). If you have a 8X, you have to ask yourself, besides the camera, is about 10-12gb worth the cost of entry of $400-500 to get into it ? Sure the 928 is a really nice phone but, $500 more of a better phone ? Not sure about that one.
THIS. If you already have an 8x, this is definitley a big point. However, if you don't have one yet, and you're comparing the two phones, this statement doesn't mean nearly as much.

gebby_

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I've gone through (2) 928 devices. Ended up going back to my Nexus because of the blotchy "gunk" soft key on both devices. Be prepared for yours to be defective as well.........other than that, amazing phone (seriously). Battery life is excellent, the OS is snappy as hell, and the camera is great.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I prefer a larger screen myself as well as the awesome camera the 928 has. I change phones quite often but the 928 will probably be a keeper for a while.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm really struggling with this one, and see I'm not alone. My situation is that I have an 8x that I've been extremely happy with but its no longer working as its stuck in a constant boot/reboot cycle. I can't turn it off to do a hard reset. It should be under warranty but because of a drop many months ago there is a hairline crack in one corner of the screen voiding the warranty. Ticks me off, but I've tried hard to make my case and as usual Verizon doesn't seem to flex on their policies. If their service wasn't so good I'd have dropped them a long time ago.

Regardless, the situation leaves me considering a refurbed 8x for $300 (which would then carry the remaining warranty of my original phone) or for another $100 buying a 928 outside of Verizon (which I assume Verizon won't honor its warrant but it sounds like Nokia would directly just not as conveniently as Verizon). The size has me worried as I really like the size of the 8X. On paper, the two aren't that significantly different in size but here it seems to be highlighted as a significant factor. So is it really that much bigger? I imagine the only reason I'm interested in the 928 is because its newer so must be better and I hate to lay out cash to maintain the status quo rather than spending it on an "upgrade" that I can more easily justify in my own mind.

Decisions, decisions.... any advice?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have an 8X and as was mentioned earlier the 928 isn't worth buying at full retail for me, but for someone upgrading the extra storage alone makes the 928 a better value. I had an 822 before the 8X and judging by my 822 and the forums the 8X is just as solid in quality as the 928. I don't think you can really go wrong with either phone, but the camera and storage at comparable prices make it hard to pass up the 928.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the 8X is being cleared out - that's not to say that the 928 is going to be a flagship a year from now, because it won't be, but either will the GS4. I think if the price is the same, the 928 is the clearly better phone, aside from size. The Nokia apps and support as well as 32GB push it well over the edge.

But - for the person that needs a replacement, u can seem to pick up the 8X pretty cheaply, so it may be worthwhile if you already like it.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had an 8X since November. Coming from an iPhone 4S, the thing is a jewel to hold and a delight to use.

But,

The 16GB storage is completely inadequate, compared to the 4S, the camera sucks, the battery life is so bad, sometimes I feel like I should power it off, just so the charger can catch up. And, the Nokia apps are sorely missed.

Had I to do it again, I'd probably go for one of the 92x variants, even given the previously mentioned downsides.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Personal opinions being what they are...
I think the 8x may be the best "feeling" phone I've ever held in my hand.
It just sits perfectly and I don't feel like I'm going to let it slip out of my hands, because of the rubbery coating (of course, I've had 2 and the corners were shot within a couple of months).
I think the 928 is just a bit too wide (768 pixels instead of 720 pixels).
The 928 just feels a little bulky in my hand and it's very slick (I feel like I really have to hold it so it won't slip out).

Neither have microSD slots (why anyone would make a phone without one is beyond me).
The 8x is only 16GB (it's a constant battle between recording videos and installing games).
The 928 is 32GB (haven't had a space problem, in the couple of days I've owned it).

The 8x's USB port is on the bottom and it isn't flush (it kind of digs into my pinky).
The 928's USB port is on the top and it is flush (I kind of like it on top, honestly).

The 8x's power button is on the top and it's kind of awkward to hit (that's why my pinky sits on the bottom a lot).
The 928's power button is on the right, but it's kind of in an odd place, too (in my opinion).
I think the power should be where the volume rocker is and the volume rocker should be on the left side.

I think the 928 is brighter than the 8x (it seems all the Lumias are).
JJ

Edit...
Oh, and the 928 has optical image stabilization.
That can be a huge plus.
JJ

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
What notifications are you getting that make the light blink?

Been using a 8X for a while now and have a 928, the 8X Nice phone, takes very good pictures with good light, It's nice and slim. Super LCD is very nice, it's a clear sharp image.

The 928 is a bigger phone, it takes better pictures (darker light is better, bright light is pretty close),

I like the status light on the 8X, it shows a red light (by the earphone) when the phone is charging and goes green when it's full. It blinks for notications and I watched that a lot. The Nokia does not have this.

If you need the more space and really into photos, the 928 but, if 16gb will do with very good picture quality, take a look at the 8X, you might actually like it better (feels a little better in the hand).

The displays are nice on both of them, but, all depending on size what you need.

And for the HTC quality issues, you get a good one, you should be all set, They are over all dependable phones, I would bet there has been less issues with the 8X over the 928 as for bugs..

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I have the 8X and have had it for a few months. Pretty much loved it and it's size. I got a 928 to mess around with and used it a few days then went back to the 8X because of the size basically. Now I am out of town on vacation and switched back to the 928 and have been using it the past week. On Monday, I have another co-worker that needs a phone and I have to decide which one to let them use.

As of right now, I am going to keep using the 928. The reasons for me: the screen outside is just awesome (the 8X screen outside just sucks, bad), the camera and video is awesome ( I think the 928 camera is quicker and more responsive), I love the Nokia Panorama app (been using it a lot on vacation), the power button on the side is much easier to use. Battery life is about the same (maybe the edge goes to the 928), storage space doesn't really matter to me, using with gloves is useless to me (S. Georgia),. Otherwise, I prefer the size of the 8X but have gotten used to the bulk of the 928 and overall, I give the edge to the 928

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234