Wireless charging heat

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So I snagged a Nokia DT-900 wireless charger and set it on there for like 20 minutes today, picked it up and the phone was like really warm, like I had been playing a high end game for the last 20 minutes or something. Is this normal? Anyone else experience this?

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I also got the DT-900 this afternoon and used it for the first time tonight. I charged it for 2 hours. I thought the screen was very warm. But when I removed the phone from the charger I realized that the charger itself was only a little warm and the camera side of the phone (which contacted the charger) was not nearly as warm as the screen. The instructions state that it is normal for the phone and the charger to get warm while charging. It also states that if the charger gets hot, you should remove the phone and continue charging after it cools down. Of course, we don't know exactly what their definition of too hot is. It does bother me that the screen gets hot. That cannot be good for the life of the phone. After I finished charging, I tried putting the charger on the underside of a glass table, and the phone was able to make contact with the charger through the glass. So tomorrow I will try charging it that way to see if the phone stays cooler when not making direct contact with the charger. I am not sure this will work, since the charger itself does not seem to get as hot as the phone.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Anytime you pack electrons into the battery, heat will be generated. The wireless charger charges faster than the wall charger (WPCentral ran an article months back), so you're going to generate more heat charging wirelessly. Additionally, there are other losses to heat through the inductive charging process, which are going to add to it. Nothing to worry about.

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So tonight I charged the phone with the charger under a glass table and the phone on top of the table. The temperature at the hottest point on the screen was 98*, the exact temperature as last night when the phone sat directly on top of the charger. So it is definitely the phone that produces the heat. However, I noticed that this heat is mostly generated in the first hour of charging. It gradually cooled down during the second hour and was barely warm to the touch when removed from the charger.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Funny, with my Verizon HTC 8X, dumping on the Nokia DT-900 charger every night, in the morning when I pick it up it's cool to the touch, not hot by any means.

Different types of batteries ?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In the morning when you pick it up, it was done charging hours before. Look at the light on the charger - it'll be off.

Josh Achens

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have the nokia charger, and it says in the manual that warmth from the charger or phone is normal. Buuutt if it's extremely hot then idk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire