Syncing office outlook calendar to outlook.com calendar?

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a way to sync an office outlook calender to an outlook.com calendar?

Here is the deal... I can't attach my personal phone to the company exchange server...I don't want to anyway but I want the calendars to be the same. What I've been doing for a couple of years is to use a google account and the "google calendar sync" PC app (no longer availble or supported) to sync my work calendar and gmail calendar. It syncs every hour and updates both calendars and therefore my phone. I don't have to do anything to make them sync, the app does it automatically. It works great and gets around the IT policy and firewall. It worked on my iphone and so far it seems to be working fine on my N928. The sync app is on barrowed time so I'd like to get rid of the google account completely and do this same syncing with outlook.com. Is it possible?

I've done a lot of searching and have been unable to find a solution so maybe there isn't one. Someone smarter than me should develop and app to make this work with outlook.com.

Thanks.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Reluctantly...I'm still using a gmail account and the sync app to sync my calendars. I tried to publish the calendar to the net but no luck. <shrug>

jrsavery

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I managed to get the publish option to work, but only if the calendar was public. Publishing a private calendar did not work. I also had to change the update frequency from the default option and added the published calendar to my send/receive groups. Clunky but better than nothing I guess.

There's nothing sensitive in my calendar so publishing it isn't an issue, alternatively you can choose to publish only your free/busy information.

Annoyingly where I work had opened up exchange access for non work phones, buy only for ios. No WP8 or indeed Android love so far... Guess I'm stuck carrying my Blackberry during the week.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Best part of this is trying to craft the perfect search strings in google or Bing to zero in on this issue without getting a million irrelevant hits. Outlook, sync, outlook.com, exchange, exchange active sync, calendar, google calendar, google calendar sync tool. OMFG

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I managed to get the publish option to work, but only if the calendar was public. Publishing a private calendar did not work. I also had to change the update frequency from the default option and added the published calendar to my send/receive groups. Clunky but better than nothing I guess.

There's nothing sensitive in my calendar so publishing it isn't an issue, alternatively you can choose to publish only your free/busy information.

Annoyingly where I work had opened up exchange access for non work phones, buy only for ios. No WP8 or indeed Android love so far... Guess I'm stuck carrying my Blackberry during the week.

I might give making it public a try. I don't have anything sensitive in my calendar either...it's just work stuff and minor personal appointments. I do try keep a low and private profile tho do to some DB's in my past. I used to carry a BB for work and a personal phone and when I figured out I could forward email and link the calendars I ditched the BB so I only had to carry one device... thank goodness. Syncing this way and having a dedicated outlook (or gmail) account gets around some of the IT BYOD policies and the corporation having control of a personal device that I pay for. Thanks for info.

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Reluctantly...I'm still using a gmail account and the sync app to sync my calendars. I tried to publish the calendar to the net but no luck. <shrug>

I tried this exact thing and didn't work for me either. I also tried the method of sharing it so that it can auto sync that didn't work. Not sure if that is what you meant (Sharing your calendar vs. publishing.)

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried this exact thing and didn't work for me either. I also tried the method of sharing it so that it can auto sync that didn't work. Not sure if that is what you meant (Sharing your calendar vs. publishing.)

Then you're doing it wrong!
Read the manual.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you have outlook 2013 at work, if you IT will let you, ask them to let them add your outlook.com account and then you can just add you can do drag and drop and the appointments copy over to your outlook.com calendar.

I do this for my work, We use Office 365, and I have it synced to my home computer, cell phone and use the internet version at work since we do not have outlook on the computer.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
In my research I noted that office 2013 had some features that would allow you to add an outlook.com account as rdmbu points out. That would be a great way to go. Sadly, at my work we are on office 2007. Heck, there are only a handfull of desktops that run windows 7. Rest are still on xp.

jimmiet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
In my research I noted that office 2013 had some features that would allow you to add an outlook.com account as rdmbu points out. That would be a great way to go. Sadly, at my work we are on office 2007. Heck, there are only a handfull of desktops that run windows 7. Rest are still on xp.

I serious said WTF out loud after reading that. Lol. Sorry, just found it funny.

jimmiet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I had 3 different calendars on Google and added them to Outlook by subscribing to them.
1) Go online to Google Calendar and find the calendar you want on the left side towards the bottom, click the arrow and select calendar settings.
Screenshot (2).png

2) Click on the green "ICAL" icon in the "Calendar Addresses" area.
Screenshot (3).png

3) Copy the link that pops up.
Screenshot (4).png

4) On you Outlook calendar click "Import".
Screenshot (6).png

5) Choose subscribe and enter the URL from the link you copied in the appropriate box.
Screenshot (8).png

That's what worked for me anyways. So now when the Outlook calendar syncs it reads the Google calendar data and updates, as long as the Google calendar is synced too. Hope it works!

Last edited:

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had 3 different calendars on Google and added them to Outlook by subscribing to them... So now when the Outlook calendar syncs it reads the Google calendar data and updates, as long as the Google calendar is synced too. Hope it works!

So how are you syncing any (or all) of these calendars with an Exchange calendar? I think the crux of the OP's problem is that the "google calendar sync" PC app he is using to sync Google and Exchange calendars is no longer supported or available.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes the google sync app is no longer supported so it's on borrowed time. I only need one calender and just need to link my office outlook to my phone without the IT policy issues. If I was just on Office 2013 I think it would be easy. Oh well.... Plus I'm trying to get away from google... which is not as easy as I hoped.

jimmiet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes the google sync app is no longer supported so it's on borrowed time. I only need one calender and just need to link my office outlook to my phone without the IT policy issues. If I was just on Office 2013 I think it would be easy. Oh well.... Plus I'm trying to get away from google... which is not as easy as I hoped.

I was under the impression that his Google calendar was syncing info. from his Exchange calendar, and he was trying to get it to his Outlook calendar (if that makes sense lol). Everything I did was on the actual web and not using any apps. That way the information is synced Exchange Calendar ---> Google Calendar ---> Outlook Calendar ---> Phone. Maybe it won't work that way with Exchange, like I said, I don't know Exchange very well. I was just trying to help as this was the only way I could get things already synced from Google to Outlook correctly.

ItnStln

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I had 3 different calendars on Google and added them to Outlook by subscribing to them.
1) Go online to Google Calendar and find the calendar you want on the left side towards the bottom, click the arrow and select calendar settings.
View attachment 36641

2) Click on the green "ICAL" icon in the "Calendar Addresses" area.
View attachment 36642

3) Copy the link that pops up.
View attachment 36643

4) On you Outlook calendar click "Import".
View attachment 36644

5) Choose subscribe and enter the URL from the link you copied in the appropriate box.
View attachment 36645

That's what worked for me anyways. So now when the Outlook calendar syncs it reads the Google calendar data and updates, as long as the Google calendar is synced too. Hope it works!

Is this a one way sync, or will it sync both ways?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa