Quick way to call people?

Deemer15

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
This has been bothering me ever since I got the 928. And maybe its the same with the other WP8's out there. I can't find a simple way to make a phone call. I've got 300+ contacts in my phone. Typically with an Android phone, I hit the phone button, the keypad shows up and I can start typing in a name and it resolves to the person as I'm typing. With this phone, it doesn't seem to operate that way. I have to click the phone, then click the address book, then click search, and THEN start spelling out the name. Is this annoying to anyone else?????

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
With that many contacts, the quickest way would be to hit the people tile, then either search (probably faster) or use the jump list (tap the letter between segments of the list). If it is someone you've called recently, you can either go to the phone app, and tap from there, or in the people hub, swipe over to the recent panel.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
You can just hold down the windows key until the box pops up, then say "call whoever". Should then call that person. I do it that way all the time.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
yeah, why didn't I think of that? Because I pretty much only call my wife, and she's always at the top of the phone list. :wink:

Deemer15

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I very much detest speaking to my phone. Clicking the people tile was good advice.. at least it limits it to 2 clicks... thanks.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
with that same type of issue, any way to make the dial pad auto appear when you click on the Phone tile? This bothers me when my kids need to use it in an emergency (if something would happen to me, kids could dial 911 or relatives number but having to expalin to them to click the phone tile, then click the dial pad icon).

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Also in the people hub there is a most recent people list. I wish there was a favorites section in the phone app
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I very much detest speaking to my phone. Clicking the people tile was good advice.. at least it limits it to 2 clicks... thanks.
People you contact the most can also be added to the home screen as a tile. Just long press the persons name in the people hub and select Pin.

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Also in the people hub there is a most recent people list. I wish there was a favorites section in the phone app
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

You can create a group to do this in the people hub. Then you can also pin that group to the home screen as a tile.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
with that same type of issue, any way to make the dial pad auto appear when you click on the Phone tile? This bothers me when my kids need to use it in an emergency (if something would happen to me, kids could dial 911 or relatives number but having to expalin to them to click the phone tile, then click the dial pad icon).

If the phone is locked with a PIN, when you swipe up and tap emergency call instead of entering the pin, the keypad comes up.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
This has been bothering me ever since I got the 928. And maybe its the same with the other WP8's out there. I can't find a simple way to make a phone call. I've got 300+ contacts in my phone. Typically with an Android phone, I hit the phone button, the keypad shows up and I can start typing in a name and it resolves to the person as I'm typing. With this phone, it doesn't seem to operate that way. I have to click the phone, then click the address book, then click search, and THEN start spelling out the name. Is this annoying to anyone else?????
I haven't tried this app myself (contract ends in July on my BlackBerry) but it seems to do exactly what you're looking for and it's free. Take a look. Easy Dial App

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just download rap dialer (might just be one word, no space) from the app store. You can use the dialer to spell out a persons name and then dial out.
Easier to do it this way than through people hub.
Since I downloaded rap dialer I haven't used the native dialer for anything other than checking my voicemail since the lack of contact search makes it useless for me.

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
People you contact the most can also be added to the home screen as a tile. Just long press the persons name in the people hub and select Pin.

In Android, i was able to add a contact to the home screen, and when I clicked it, it automatically started dialing that person.

Is there a way to do that on WP? I added a contact tile to my home screen as you noted, but when I push it, it brings up that contact and then I have to push again to actually call that contact...?

Thanks!

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
With that many contacts, the quickest way would be to hit the people tile, then either search (probably faster) or use the jump list (tap the letter between segments of the list). If it is someone you've called recently, you can either go to the phone app, and tap from there, or in the people hub, swipe over to the recent panel.

you can also filter your contact list. I set mine up so that when I hit the people tile, it only lists the contacts I physically added to my phone, rather than include all the contacts it imported when I synched with Facebook [wish I would have noticed it was going to do that so I could've had it not synch contacts; too many "friends" on FB I could care less about and would never call in a million years (that's a whole 'nother topic)].

In my case it's a much more manageable list...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I just click the Phone tile. The people I most recently called or called me show up there. There's also an option to search and an option for the dialpad.

I don't call alot of different people, usually the same ones over and over. (Yeah, I don't get out much. ;-) )

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I hit the phone tile and my recent contacts are listed for me to tap. You can hit the search or keypad icon, which is only a second press. As others have mentioned,you can pin people or groups to your start screen.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I hit the phone tile and my recent contacts are listed for me to tap.
The only thing that is inconsistent with that method is the way that WP handles calls.. Each call is listed separately, even if to/from the same contact. So a week or day of calls to or from the same contact can fill the screen and the listings don't combine.

Best thing, then, is either to use one of the numerous apps for creating a favorites contacts list or use the built-in groups feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb