02-27-2014 04:54 AM
35 12
tools
    This has been bothering me ever since I got the 928. And maybe its the same with the other WP8's out there. I can't find a simple way to make a phone call. I've got 300+ contacts in my phone. Typically with an Android phone, I hit the phone button, the keypad shows up and I can start typing in a name and it resolves to the person as I'm typing. With this phone, it doesn't seem to operate that way. I have to click the phone, then click the address book, then click search, and THEN start spelling out the name. Is this annoying to anyone else?????
    Henrik Smedberg likes this.
    06-03-2013 12:51 PM
    With that many contacts, the quickest way would be to hit the people tile, then either search (probably faster) or use the jump list (tap the letter between segments of the list). If it is someone you've called recently, you can either go to the phone app, and tap from there, or in the people hub, swipe over to the recent panel.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    06-03-2013 01:00 PM
    You can just hold down the windows key until the box pops up, then say "call whoever". Should then call that person. I do it that way all the time.
    06-03-2013 01:00 PM
    yeah, why didn't I think of that? Because I pretty much only call my wife, and she's always at the top of the phone list.
    06-03-2013 01:01 PM
    I very much detest speaking to my phone. Clicking the people tile was good advice.. at least it limits it to 2 clicks... thanks.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    06-03-2013 01:18 PM
    with that same type of issue, any way to make the dial pad auto appear when you click on the Phone tile? This bothers me when my kids need to use it in an emergency (if something would happen to me, kids could dial 911 or relatives number but having to expalin to them to click the phone tile, then click the dial pad icon).
    06-03-2013 01:21 PM
    Also in the people hub there is a most recent people list. I wish there was a favorites section in the phone app
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    LeLee092 likes this.
    06-03-2013 01:23 PM
    I very much detest speaking to my phone. Clicking the people tile was good advice.. at least it limits it to 2 clicks... thanks.
    People you contact the most can also be added to the home screen as a tile. Just long press the persons name in the people hub and select Pin.
    chefster74 and coip like this.
    06-03-2013 01:30 PM
    Also in the people hub there is a most recent people list. I wish there was a favorites section in the phone app
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    You can create a group to do this in the people hub. Then you can also pin that group to the home screen as a tile.
    06-03-2013 01:31 PM
    with that same type of issue, any way to make the dial pad auto appear when you click on the Phone tile? This bothers me when my kids need to use it in an emergency (if something would happen to me, kids could dial 911 or relatives number but having to expalin to them to click the phone tile, then click the dial pad icon).
    If the phone is locked with a PIN, when you swipe up and tap emergency call instead of entering the pin, the keypad comes up.
    06-03-2013 01:35 PM
    You could also use the People search app. It functions the way you are asking about.

People search | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    nunyazz likes this.
    06-03-2013 01:43 PM
    This has been bothering me ever since I got the 928. And maybe its the same with the other WP8's out there. I can't find a simple way to make a phone call. I've got 300+ contacts in my phone. Typically with an Android phone, I hit the phone button, the keypad shows up and I can start typing in a name and it resolves to the person as I'm typing. With this phone, it doesn't seem to operate that way. I have to click the phone, then click the address book, then click search, and THEN start spelling out the name. Is this annoying to anyone else?????
    I haven't tried this app myself (contract ends in July on my BlackBerry) but it seems to do exactly what you're looking for and it's free. Take a look. Easy Dial App
    Deemer15 and pechio like this.
    06-03-2013 01:49 PM
    Just download rap dialer (might just be one word, no space) from the app store. You can use the dialer to spell out a persons name and then dial out.
    Easier to do it this way than through people hub.
    Since I downloaded rap dialer I haven't used the native dialer for anything other than checking my voicemail since the lack of contact search makes it useless for me.
    James8561 and Deemer15 like this.
    06-03-2013 02:03 PM
    People you contact the most can also be added to the home screen as a tile. Just long press the persons name in the people hub and select Pin.

In Android, i was able to add a contact to the home screen, and when I clicked it, it automatically started dialing that person.

Is there a way to do that on WP? I added a contact tile to my home screen as you noted, but when I push it, it brings up that contact and then I have to push again to actually call that contact...?

Thanks!
    06-03-2013 02:03 PM
    With that many contacts, the quickest way would be to hit the people tile, then either search (probably faster) or use the jump list (tap the letter between segments of the list). If it is someone you've called recently, you can either go to the phone app, and tap from there, or in the people hub, swipe over to the recent panel.
    you can also filter your contact list. I set mine up so that when I hit the people tile, it only lists the contacts I physically added to my phone, rather than include all the contacts it imported when I synched with Facebook [wish I would have noticed it was going to do that so I could've had it not synch contacts; too many "friends" on FB I could care less about and would never call in a million years (that's a whole 'nother topic)].

In my case it's a much more manageable list...
    06-03-2013 02:06 PM
    Must be tough answering calls. j/k. Glad you found an answer you like.
    06-03-2013 02:07 PM
    I just click the Phone tile. The people I most recently called or called me show up there. There's also an option to search and an option for the dialpad.

I don't call alot of different people, usually the same ones over and over. (Yeah, I don't get out much. ;-) )
    06-03-2013 02:22 PM
    Must be tough answering calls. j/k. Glad you found an answer you like.
    haha.... Anyway, I used another tip and created a favorites group and pinned it. Much better!!
    nunyazz and stmav like this.
    06-03-2013 03:00 PM
    I hit the phone tile and my recent contacts are listed for me to tap. You can hit the search or keypad icon, which is only a second press. As others have mentioned,you can pin people or groups to your start screen.
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
    06-03-2013 07:52 PM
    I hit the phone tile and my recent contacts are listed for me to tap.
    The only thing that is inconsistent with that method is the way that WP handles calls.. Each call is listed separately, even if to/from the same contact. So a week or day of calls to or from the same contact can fill the screen and the listings don't combine.

Best thing, then, is either to use one of the numerous apps for creating a favorites contacts list or use the built-in groups feature.
    06-03-2013 07:58 PM
    I haven't tried this app myself (contract ends in July on my BlackBerry) but it seems to do exactly what you're looking for and it's free. Take a look. Easy Dial App
    Thanks. It is an amazing simplification.
    06-03-2013 08:47 PM
    Just search "Phone Dialer" in the WP Marketplace there are many apps to chose from that will do what you are looking for.
    06-03-2013 09:04 PM
    I use an app called Drag and Call. It does literally what it sounds like. You drag the contact onto the phone icon to call him/her instantly, or the message icon to text him/her instantly. It's an efficient way to be fast with your phone.
    06-03-2013 09:11 PM
    I agree with the previous poster regarding creating a group and pinning it to the start screen. I have a group for personal contacts, and a group for business contacts pinned, and I rarely go directly into the dialer unless I am calling a new number. It is a little different then I am used to(long time android user) but it did not take long to get used to, and has proven to be a quick and easy way to access my most commonly used contacts. I actually like the group function very much.
    06-03-2013 09:43 PM
    Get the app Rapdialer, it solves your problem.
    06-03-2013 11:18 PM
35 12