Data Usage and Photos

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
My data usage has skyrocketed. Generally I was around 2GB per month with my HTC Trophy. A check of datasense shows that I am over 6 GB. I still have my unlimited plan so that really doesn't concern me much. However, Datasense revealed that the largest user was the Camera at 4.9 GB cell and only 103MB WiFi. Under Settings -> Applications -> Photos + Camera Auto upload to Skydrive is On with Photos as well as Video both set to upload at Best Quality (needs WiFi). Obviously it is using my data plan to save my pics and vids to Skydrive. It is my understanding that when set to Best Quality my photos and videos will only be uploaded when connected to WiFi. Has anyone else experienced this with their 928 and, if so, how can I stop using my data plan and continue uploading at best quality? I worry that Verizon might throttle my speeds.

Thank you very much,
Dave

teoami

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
One way to know for sure is to turn off wifi, restart your phone, then take a picture. Wait a few minutes and see if it shows up on SkyDrive. My wife's data usage went up drastically when she got her 8X and I though it was due to Pandora. Since we are on ATT, we unfortunately do not have DataSense, but it would be interesting to test this and see if there is a bug in WP8.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Mine actually does require wifi - I can tell because if I'm out and about, and take a picture, the next time I look in the Pictures hub (before going on wifi), it says uploads waiting or something like that.

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
@teoami Good suggestion, just tried that. Turned off WiFi, snapped a picture and quick video out of my office window. Both uploaded to my Skydrive camera roll folder. Pic was 2.83 MB but the 10 Sec HD Video was 25 MB. It has to be affecting my battery life as well which was not quite as stellar as I had hoped.

Looking at my Skydrive camera roll folder, I have nearly 4GB of video from when I got my 928, that's my big culprit right there.

Dave

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
First thing I'd try - go into settings, set the backup to a lower resolution that doesn't require wifi. Restart the phone. Take a pic and let it upload. Then change the setting back to best - requires wifi. Restart the phone. See if that does it.

When I say restart the phone, I don't mean just push power and put it to sleep. Push/hold power, swipe down, then after the "goodbye" disappears from the screen, then turn it back on.

Hopefully this will give it the kick in the pants it needs. If not, you may need to do a hard reset.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't have my 822 with me as I'm testing out another device today, so forgive me if I'm not describing this right, but in Data Sense there is an option where you tell it what your montly data cap is, right?

If I recall, if you set it to unlimited it says something about ignoring WiFi and using the cellular radio all the time. Is it possible that that setting overrides the Skydrive WiFi setting?

Try telling datasense that you have a datacap and see if it still uploads your files.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't have my 822 with me as I'm testing out another device today, so forgive me if I'm not describing this right, but in Data Sense there is an option where you tell it what your montly data cap is, right?

If I recall, if you set it to unlimited it says something about ignoring WiFi and using the cellular radio all the time. Is it possible that that setting overrides the Skydrive WiFi setting?

Try telling datasense that you have a datacap and see if it still uploads your files.

If that's true, I hadn't noticed. Nice to know.

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site

Mine is set to Unlimited where "All data may go over your cellular connection, but your phone will still keep track of how much you use."

I adjusted that to a data limit of 5 GB, took a photo and video, opened my pictures hub and they are waiting for WiFi to be uploaded.

There you have it, my mystery is solved. Thank you tk-093!

PS: I switched back to unlimited and the photo I took uploaded at full size but video is still "Waiting for WiFi".
PSS: It is now uploading the video.

Dave

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No worries - I was just stating this to show that it actually does work as it should, that the problem was in his phone somewhere.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Mine is set to Unlimited where "All data may go over your cellular connection, but your phone will still keep track of how much you use."

I adjusted that to a data limit of 5 GB, took a photo and video, opened my pictures hub and they are waiting for WiFi to be uploaded.

There you have it, my mystery is solved. Thank you tk-093!

PS: I switched back to unlimited and the photo I took uploaded at full size but video is still "Waiting for WiFi".
PSS: It is now uploading the video.

Dave

Sweet. I'll have to try that on my 822 because I didn't think it worked that way, but they might not be running the same exact OS version. It would be interesting to know if downloaded apps that are large enough to require WiFi will now download over cellular connections. I know for a FACT my 822 would still wait for WiFi.. at least the last time I tried it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
They're not the same - 822 is one firmware version behind. Not sure about OS version, though - that could be the same.

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
If you want to check your OS and Firmware versions on the 822 to compare, my 928 is:
OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware Revision Number: 1532.5957.1318.3021

Dave

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Mine does the same... It will copy up via LTE based on my datasense settings, so I was wrong on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786