Best scratch guard for Lumia 928?

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I assume you are talking about a screen protector. With Gorilla Glass, why do you need a screen protector? I'm getting my 928 tomorrow and I was looking forward to not having one.

Francoenlanoche

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Well i recommend you both to buy one, i know nokia products are amazing but my Lumia 920 got a scratch from day 2, a scratch that i can feel with mi nail, i'm using skinomi techskin and feels good.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
GG2, like GG will scratch, but you are scratching a thin film on the surface. That being said, I will be getting the Zagg line as soon as it is avail for the 928. It's got a life time warranty and is incredibly tough and durable for as thin as it is.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector that didn't diminish the appearance of the screen or my experience when using it. I've also never scratched a screen except for dropping on concrete... So I'm gonna say you don't need one. Just my two cents. Also, for what it's worth, I believe the only thing (aside from a long fall onto concrete) that will scratch GG is diamonds or grains of sand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I assume you are talking about a screen protector. With Gorilla Glass, why do you need a screen protector? I'm getting my 928 tomorrow and I was looking forward to not having one.

Yeah, you would think. I have a few hairline scratches on mine that drive me crazy. My iP5 screen is still flawless after 9 months. This one not so much after 2 weeks.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the screen protectors from Verizon, just because that's what was available on day one. But GG2 or not, I would not carry my phone around without a screen protector. I've had phones with GG scratch before, and not have a clue how, as they were not dropped, treated badly, or anything else. You'd be amazed at the scratches you can actually get from the tamest of circumstances.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the screen protectors from Verizon, just because that's what was available on day one. But GG2 or not, I would not carry my phone around without a screen protector. I've had phones with GG scratch before, and not have a clue how, as they were not dropped, treated badly, or anything else. You'd be amazed at the scratches you can actually get from the tamest of circumstances.

Like I mentioned above, other than dropping on concrete or something traumatic like that you could scratch the screen just by having one tiny grain of sand in the same pocket as the phone. Glass can scratch glass.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector that didn't diminish the appearance of the screen or my experience when using it. I've also never scratched a screen except for dropping on concrete... So I'm gonna say you don't need one. Just my two cents. Also, for what it's worth, I believe the only thing (aside from a long fall onto concrete) that will scratch GG is diamonds or grains of sand.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. There are numerous first-hand users and real world accounts where their GG or GG2 screen was scratched. Google or YouTube it. Just because YOU'VE never scratched a screen doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T have one. They are cheap insurance for something you will look at for at least a couple of years. Why NOT do it? The materials are getting thinner and less obtrusive. Just my two cents.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but you are incorrect. There are numerous first-hand users and real world accounts where their GG or GG2 screen was scratched. Google or YouTube it. Just because YOU'VE never scratched a screen doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T have one. They are cheap insurance for something you will look at for at least a couple of years. Why NOT do it? The materials are getting thinner and less obtrusive. Just my two cents.

Oh it's definitely a 'to each his own', YMMV situation. In fact, if I could find a protector that I thought DIDN'T make the screen look awful, I'd use it. But I haven't found one yet (at least for me). I had a Droid Incredible for two years, screen protector on for one year and none for the second year. In the second year I dropped it face first on concrete four times and scratched it three of those times. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus which many people said had more 'fragile' glass and I heard many reports of easy scratches early on in ownership and I have no screen protector without a scratch. I really do think it's largely based on chance and luck, but I agree with you - it's easy insurance if you're OK with the effect on viewing the screen.

Can you recommend one that doesn't affect the appearance or the feel of the screen? I'd probably try one when I get my 928. I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the Zagg ones, but the generic ones I've had from Verizon and the ones that have come bundled with cases that I've bought from Amazon Marketplace vendors have all been nearly unnoticable. No, they don't have the oleophobic coating that comes on the Nokia screen, but wipe it and it looks fine. And if you carry in a pocket (I don't), you're probably not even going to have to wipe it.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Can you recommend one that doesn't affect the appearance or the feel of the screen? I'd probably try one when I get my 928. I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.

Bodyguardz Pure, which is actually glass. As close to having a naked screen as you can get. Unfortunately they tried and failed to make one for the Lumia 920 because of the curved edges of the screen. I assume the 928 will present the same challenge. Spigen also has a comparable line (GLAS), but no word yet from them about availability for the Lumia line.

Yes, I know: they are expensive; they can be scratched; they can break. But they're cheaper and easier to replace than the actual display.

http://http://www.bodyguardz.com/screenguardz-pure-glass-protector-film-guard-shield
http://http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/apple-iphone/iphone-5/iphone-5-screen-protector-glas-tr-premium-tempered-glass-series.html

schrags08

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I found the 928 screen susceptible to light scratches. I also find that the texture of the glass can sometimes "grab" your finger and lead to a sub par scrolling experience. Especially if it's hot out. The scroll speed is definitely slower than my old HTC Arrive. I thought a good scratch protector layer might help speed things up from a finger glide perspective in addition to providing a little bit of protection.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No case, just a film for the front?
I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.
I don't like the Zagg ones, but the generic ones I've had from Verizon and the ones that have come bundled with cases that I've bought from Amazon Marketplace vendors have all been nearly unnoticable.

I really disliked gummy/tacky feel of the Zagg Invisible Shield on the screen. But, it was perfect for me as a protective layer for the sides and back. I found the naked polycarbonate a little too slippery, and after a few drops in the parking lot and a few small scuffs I decided I needed something. If you're dead set against putting anything on the phone, I guess that's that; but I thought the little bit of protection and the improved grip were well worth it. Here's a pic after five months of daily use:
2013 05 24_3109.jpg

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Bodyguardz Pure, which is actually glass. As close to having a naked screen as you can get. Unfortunately they tried and failed to make one for the Lumia 920 because of the curved edges of the screen. I assume the 928 will present the same challenge. Spigen also has a comparable line (GLAS), but no word yet from them about availability for the Lumia line.

This sounds like a decent option.... But expensive. I'd almost still rather go without one due to my past experiences with never having gotten a scratch whose cause was not obvious (dropping face first on the ground, etc). Yes, I know it's risky. But I just love the feel and look of the glass with nothing on it..... What can I say? :p

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh it's definitely a 'to each his own', YMMV situation. In fact, if I could find a protector that I thought DIDN'T make the screen look awful, I'd use it. But I haven't found one yet (at least for me). I had a Droid Incredible for two years, screen protector on for one year and none for the second year. In the second year I dropped it face first on concrete four times and scratched it three of those times. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus which many people said had more 'fragile' glass and I heard many reports of easy scratches early on in ownership and I have no screen protector without a scratch. I really do think it's largely based on chance and luck, but I agree with you - it's easy insurance if you're OK with the effect on viewing the screen.

Check out the Zagg HD line. They are VERY nice. Even if they don't have one for the 928 yet, you can still check one out that was cut for another phone. That's what I'm waiting for.

Also, the ones the Verizon store had on release date aren't bad either. They do have a very slippery touch to them and your finger slides very well across it, you get 3 for $13.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Check out the Zagg HD line. They are VERY nice. Even if they don't have one for the 928 yet, you can still check one out that was cut for another phone. That's what I'm waiting for.

Also, the ones the Verizon store had on release date aren't bad either. They do have a very slippery touch to them and your finger slides very well across it, you get 3 for $13.

Two recommendations seems good to me, enough to check it out at least. I have no problem giving it a go!

Question: is there such thing as a protector with oleophobic coating?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb