HTC One announcement affect any 928 owners?

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
As an Android guy who came over to WP, I was 100% going to get the HTC One as of a couple months ago if it came to Verizon.

Well now that the One has been announced for a summer release on Verizon, I think the 928 has changed my opinion. Unless something changes my mind between now and then, I'm going to stay with the 928 and WP.

Anyone else going to be affected by the announcement for better or worse?

Serious Tone

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend was going to get the Lumia 928 when her contract is up in June but has decided to get the HTC One instead now that its been announced.

I, on the other hand, don't think I'd ever go back to Android.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This actually will be a tough decision for me. I also told myself the HTC One would be the only phone that I'd stick with Android for. I've played with the 928 a lot and the One a little - I liked the 928 more - but the One is one of the nicest pieces of hardware in a smartphone I've ever used. It's just gorgeous. Ugh.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I was an Android guy, but after buying the Thunderbolt and having it replaced 2 times, then getting switched to a Rezound (both HTC phones) and had 3 of those! I'm just sick of HTC and Android. Slow updates and the last one I got erased my sd card completely and killed it. WTF? While android has so many more apps, I find many more reasons to be loving my 928. Besides the One only has 16 gigs storage and barely 10 are for you. This is day 5 with my 928, and i've been using the hell out of it. NO overheating and so far the battery rocks!
As an Android guy who came over to WP, I was 100% going to get the HTC One as of a couple months ago if it came to Verizon.

Well now that the One has been announced for a summer release on Verizon, I think the 928 has changed my opinion. Unless something changes my mind between now and then, I'm going to stay with the 928 and WP.

Anyone else going to be affected by the announcement for better or worse?

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
If the One didn't run Android it'd be a temptation for sure. As it stands, however, I wrote off Android two years ago and haven't missed it even a little bit. That tends to happen when an OS is designed by people with no experience designing OS's. :)

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I was an Android guy, but after buying the Thunderbolt and having it replaced 2 times, then getting switched to a Rezound (both HTC phones) and had 3 of those! I'm just sick of HTC and Android. Slow updates and the last one I got erased my sd card completely and killed it. WTF? While android has so many more apps, I find many more reasons to be loving my 928. Besides the One only has 16 gigs storage and barely 10 are for you. This is day 5 with my 928, and i've been using the hell out of it. NO overheating and so far the battery rocks!

As a former Thunderbolt user (3 of them , in fact) I swore to not support HTC anymore. I admit the One looks nice, but HTC has quality issues internally, and I refuse to be another beta tester. There's a reason I held out with my Thunderbolt as long as I did, and that was my only other option was to go to AT&T for the 920, but based on really poor customer service 6 years ago, AT&T can suck it. As a consumer, I will vote with my pocketbook, and HTC lost a customer due to their poor quality.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If the One didn't run Android it'd be a temptation for sure.

I agree.. other than android, its pretty good hardware. I am still a little confused as to why they are calling it a unibody design, when it clearly isn't one, but.. I guess its good for marketing.

I am sure that there will be a WP based device with a similar build/design eventually.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree.. other than android, its pretty good hardware. I am still a little confused as to why they are calling it a unibody design, when it clearly isn't one, but.. I guess its good for marketing.

I am sure that there will be a WP based device with a similar build/design eventually.

It is a unibody design.

http://gizmodo.com/5990716/htc-one-review-the-beauty-is-a-beast

It is machined from a single block of aluminum. The lines that you see running along the back are etched lines filled in with polycarbonate. I think it's a gorgeous design and I sure hope we see Windows Phones like it!!

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well... I have a One and the top piece of speaker aluminum is detached from the polycarbonate inner piece leaving a gap. Google/Bing "HTC one build quailty"

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Well... I have a One and the top piece of speaker aluminum is detached from the polycarbonate inner piece leaving a gap. Google/Bing "HTC one build quailty"

That's disappointing... But it is still designed and manufactured as a unibody, right?

Also, do you like it aside from that issue?

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Its three pieces, the back aluminum, the middle poly piece, and then the screen in the middle with aluminum speaker pieces on the top and bottom. The gaps show up at the top between the poly and speakers pieces and occasionally at the bottom too. I am returning mine and hopefully I get a good one. Plenty of info on XDA.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Its three pieces, the back aluminum, the middle poly piece, and then the screen in the middle with aluminum speaker pieces on the top and bottom. The gaps show up at the top between the poly and speakers pieces and occasionally at the bottom too. I am returning mine and hopefully I get a good one. Plenty of info on XDA.

Thanks for the clarification. Bummer about the build quality issues - aside from that I think it's a fantastic looking piece of hardware.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well guys, I'm kind of at a crossroads here. I've posted all over this board about various things, but in short I came to the 8X briefly and then the 928 after almost 4 years on Android. The 928 didn't make me miss Android that much, but now I'm battling with my mind a little bit.

Some of you may already know, I am on 928 number 7 and it's still not defect free. I currently have an open case with Nokia and they are going to send me a new 928 when they get stock at their specific location. This process is becoming somewhat exhausting and I'm starting to give up a bit.

Anybody have any advice or words of encouragement? Should I stay with WP8?

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Similar experience with my 920:-( I am now using an 820 mostly problem free, except dust in ffc and occasional battery drain. I am waiting for EOS on at&t. Verizon isn't likely to see a new wp8 device for sometime so you may be forced back to android, boring...
I went to Verizon corp store the other day and played with the 928. Imho its a nicer feel in the hand than the 920. I really liked it but I'm on prepaid until EOS. I couldn't do it for the huge cost for one line on Verizon, $90 plus taxes and fees, wtf!? Verizon prepaid is 3g speeds and I was told they aren't offering prepaid on lte devices, not sure if that's true.
Anyways...if you can't switch to gsm carriers and try the 820, 720, or even the 920 I would hang on and see if Nokia can straighten this out. On the other hand, since you are newer, it would be easier for you to walk now before you really fall in love with the best mobile OS♡.♡

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, now I'm in more of a difficult situation. I am being offered a brand new Galaxy S4 for $100 less than I paid for my 928 (I bought it retail). With the past and current problems and defects I've had with this phone, it's starting to seem like a no brainer. Especially since the S4 is worth more than what I would be paying for it and it will hold its value far better than the 928.

My thought is to do this before my 14 day return policy ends in a couple of days, and if nothing else use the S4 while hopefully Nokia addresses some of these defects. Then I can come back to the 928 at that time and probably not lose any money in the whole deal.

Thoughts?

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say but you should do it. You can always sell the s4 and come back in the future. At&t gave me a 64gb HTC one after 6 warranty returns on my 920. I promptly sold it for $550 and stashed the $$ for EOS or 925😊. Luckily my backup is a wp8 not android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb