I'm currently on Android but have put the 928 on my short list along with the 925. I'd prefer the 928 because of Verizon's network but I found one article stating that you cannot change the default search engine from Bing to Google. I did a quick search and didn't see any posts that stood out. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
    06-07-2013 05:48 PM
    I can confirm this is true. You cannot switch the default provider on the Lumia 928. The search button on the phone will take you to Bing.com every time. It blows, Bing Blows, but it's not that big of a deal really. I was on Android for 6 years. I love Android. More than I love Google itself. I can live without searching from a button. there is a google app you can install if you must. Or you can use the browser and search from Google. same thing.
    06-07-2013 06:10 PM
    You can't change the default for the search button, but you can for internet explorer, and there is a Google app if you prefer. Having said that the results that Bing and Google give are virtually the same anyway.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-07-2013 06:41 PM
    you can download the google search app if you want
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-07-2013 06:51 PM
    Just download uc browser from the store :) I prefer google but Bing gives me rewards haha. I do miss the google now app
    06-07-2013 08:23 PM
    If you want, you can go to the www.google.com and set that page as one of your live tiles on the home screen. It will be just like launching Bing. Well it won't be live, bit still a tile. Like shortcut from the start screen.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-07-2013 08:45 PM
    Those are some good ideas. I hate it when the carriers start putting their fingerprints on what is otherwise a great OS.
    06-08-2013 07:35 AM
    Thank GOD the search button goes to Bing and not Google..........

And carriers? No. This is Windows Phone. By Microsoft. Microsoft made the search button go to Bing. As they should - it's a Microsoft product. Much in the way that Google would make their default search Google.
    06-08-2013 12:08 PM
    Bing does not blow, stop being so dramatic. I bet all the Bing haters can't even come up with a reason they don't like Bing beyond using Google to find someone else's regurgitated and most likely inaccurate response.

With that out of the way lets get back on topic. Bing is default. It has several nice features built in to your Windows Phone. You can highlight a word or phrase in Internet Explorer and click the search button to Bing it. Image search in Bing is quite amazing as you can pan through image search results much like you do for your camera roll photos. Your apps for Maps and Drive integrate well with Bing.

The only complaints I have about the search button:
    1. Local search is a pain sometimes. Unlike Bing on desktop sometimes I need to enter a full address to get local results instead of just street name and number + the phone's location data. To me this seems like a problem that requires someone at Microsoft to flip a switch on their end (no update required).

2. The search button does not search local files on the phone. Hopefully soon.
    06-08-2013 01:03 PM
    I have grown used to Bing. That being said Google has won handily every time I have done the Bing it on challenge. Bing though has great phone integration. The Bing music search and bar code scanner are indispensible.
    06-08-2013 01:35 PM
    Bing does not blow, stop being so dramatic. I bet all the Bing haters can't even come up with a reason they don't like Bing beyond using Google to find someone else's regurgitated and most likely inaccurate response.
    THIS.

It used to have contextual search, until Mango...... Let's hope it comes back, but better.
    06-08-2013 02:29 PM

With that out of the way lets get back on topic. Bing is default. It has several nice features built in to your Windows Phone. You can highlight a word or phrase in Internet Explorer and click the search button to Bing it. Image search in Bing is quite amazing as you can pan through image search results much like you do for your camera roll photos. Your apps for Maps and Drive integrate well with Bing.

The only complaints I have about the search button:
    1. Local search is a pain sometimes. Unlike Bing on desktop sometimes I need to enter a full address to get local results instead of just street name and number + the phone's location data. To me this seems like a problem that requires someone at Microsoft to flip a switch on their end (no update required).

No drama intended, just wanted to know about the default options. Thanks.
    06-09-2013 07:34 AM
    You can't change the default for the search button, but you can for internet explorer, and there is a Google app if you prefer. Having said that the results that Bing and Google give are virtually the same anyway.
    Verizon had this browser option removed on the 928, glad I have it on my 920.
    06-09-2013 09:04 AM