Just got my 928 and I have searched this topic with no luck so I decided to start one. Does anyone know how or if you can play your music in your car with this phone? My head unit in my vehicle has a USB port but when I plug it in it does not recognize my music. Any ideas? Is or has anyone else tried to play music in your car with this phone yet?

Thanks
    06-11-2013 08:08 PM
    I do over Bluetooth, never tried it directly as a mass storage device thou.
    06-11-2013 08:27 PM
    I use BT. I also checked the USB connectivity and it works fine. What head unit do you have?
    06-11-2013 08:30 PM
    On my old C7-00, I could bluetooth to my car.. but doesnt seem to work on my 920... just cant get it paired up.
    Not sure I want to connect it via USB though. Never know, any sudden movement in the vehicle could yank the cable and damage the phone USB port.
    On my C7, I used to play music via radio transmitter... but that's a story for another time, I'm afraid
    06-11-2013 08:41 PM
    My car has an aux input. But if you use that with an aux cable, then if you try speech commands they won't work, as the phone is looking to the jack for mic input, which isn't there. So I bought a Logitech BT receiver, and plugged that into the aux jack, and pair the phone with the BT. Works great for music, and the car's stereo already has the BT profile for hands free, so it pairs ot the stereo for hands free. The BT receiver I bought is for 120 AC, not 12 VDC, but I happened to have a car adapter with the right size tip, I just had to reverse the polarity since it was reversed for what was needed.
    jleebiker likes this.
    06-11-2013 09:39 PM
    Your head unit probably only knows how to talk to USB mass storage devices, not MTP devices which is what your phone implements. And really, if you are going to use the headunit to browse and play the music you might as well buy a cheap USB thumbdrive, put all your music on that, and just leave it plugged in all the time. Generally people want to use the phone interface though because it's a lot handier than what the headunit gives you, and for that you'll want a bluetooth or direct connection from your headset port to the AUX in on your headunit. Is it really true that if you use a three-connector (i.e. not one with a ring for the microphone on the plug) stereo headphone with the phone that it disables the onboard microphone? That's not very nice.
    06-11-2013 11:10 PM
    I have one of the latest Pioneer head units. Its only a yr old if that. I havent tried the aux input though. Ill try the USB once again and if that doesnt work then ill try aux input. So I take it the USB cable it comes with does not have phone charging capabilities?
    06-12-2013 04:24 AM
    My car has an aux input. But if you use that with an aux cable, then if you try speech commands they won't work, as the phone is looking to the jack for mic input, which isn't there. So I bought a Logitech BT receiver, and plugged that into the aux jack, and pair the phone with the BT. Works great for music, and the car's stereo already has the BT profile for hands free, so it pairs ot the stereo for hands free. The BT receiver I bought is for 120 AC, not 12 VDC, but I happened to have a car adapter with the right size tip, I just had to reverse the polarity since it was reversed for what was needed.
    I use the aux in in my car and can still use the phone mike for voice activated stuff and texts. 820
    06-12-2013 05:29 AM
    I have one of the latest Pioneer head units. Its only a yr old if that. I havent tried the aux input though. Ill try the USB once again and if that doesnt work then ill try aux input. So I take it the USB cable it comes with does not have phone charging capabilities?
    the cable can charge, but can what you're plugging it into charge?

I use the aux in in my car and can still use the phone mike for voice activated stuff and texts. 820
    Hmmm... I wonder why mine won't. This is how it is with both the 822 that I passed on to my wife, and the 928 I have now.
    06-12-2013 06:16 AM
    FWIW my Lumia's voice activation wont work over aux either. Works beautifully on my car's bluetooth, but if the aux cable is plugged in for music it confuses something and can't decide between bluetooth and aux and does nothing. It almost seems like it tries over aux, then my car's bluetooth tries to take over and everything gets confused.
    06-12-2013 08:48 AM
    I can confirm usb is troublesome with cars stereos. Been on trip to couple countries these couple months. Some cant even charge it as the stereo repeatably engage and disengage the connection in attempt to read the device's storage.
    06-12-2013 09:44 AM
    I can confirm that the USB cable that comes with the phone can charge it.
    The issue isthe USB port in the car. Not all USB ports carry the necessary voltage to charge. To connect, sure. To charge, maybe not.
    I've got one of these in my car and it works great. Cheap, no hassles, don't have to worry about battery running out. Just plug it in and forget it.
    SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ33-032G-A11 - Best Buy drive&cp=1&lp=5
    06-12-2013 10:44 AM
    AUX is the easiest way .. or, like some already said, just get a BT receiver and plug into the AUX for wireless play.

On my C7, I used to play music via radio transmitter... but that's a story for another time, I'm afraid
    I use the transmitter thing every day.. such a simple feature, but so practical.
    06-12-2013 11:04 AM
    I have the Belkin Bluetooth Hands-free kit and it works great for voice and music streaming. One end goes into the aux and the other into the car charger. Just press the button and it indicates blue or red depending on on and off. Works great with the voice commands and streams my Nokia music and Pandora.

Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories
    06-12-2013 11:16 AM
    I have the Belkin Bluetooth Hands-free kit and it works great for voice and music streaming. One end goes into the aux and the other into the car charger. Just press the button and it indicates blue or red depending on on and off. Works great with the voice commands and streams my Nokia music and Pandora.

Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories
    I also have the Belkin BT kit and it works great! I just wished the cabling wasn't so long, as I've it it mounted by where my AUX jack is located on the center console.
    06-14-2013 01:17 PM
    Well the AUX cable is working just fine. Hate I cannot use my remote control for my head unit due to it but weighing in the options on how great this phone is.. I can deal with it! Now I am currently looking to upgrade my head unit in my ride, one that is blue tooth enabled. Probably buy one this week along with a few other upgrades for my system.

But thanks for all the help guys! This community rocks!!
    jleebiker likes this.
    06-16-2013 03:43 AM
    I use a Motorola Roadster 2 for a handsfree unit. The 928 will send music to the Roadster via Bluetooth. The Roadster has an FM transmitter, so I just tell it to send the music to FM and tune my radio to whatever the Roadster says to tune to. Works great. Not super hi-fi, but not much is in a car. No cables required, and no aux in to the care stereo necessary either.
    06-16-2013 09:21 PM
    My Focus has an Aux input in the dash. I just plug it in.
    06-17-2013 03:00 PM
    I have a question. I drive an 09 vw rabbit. It has an iPhone dock in the arm rest. Is there something I can buy to get my lumia to play music through that?
    06-17-2013 03:34 PM
    I have a question. I drive an 09 vw rabbit. It has an iPhone dock in the arm rest. Is there something I can buy to get my lumia to play music through that?
    A car with BT!

Seriously, though, not that I'm aware of, but God knows there are lots of things out there that I'm not aware of.
    06-17-2013 07:24 PM
    You can use aux cable
    06-03-2014 01:20 AM
    Amazon.com: Griffin Technology Hands-Free Mic + AUX Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories

It actually works. Had it hooked up and listening to music in my noisy Kia, and I received a phone call. I pressed the in-line switch and we started talking. He heard me fine using the mic built into the car jack. Surprised me that it worked as well as it did. His voice came through the car speakers. Oh, listening to music in the car worked better than with my 810; the 928 has higher native audio out levels; don't have to crank up the car stereo as much.
    06-11-2014 11:07 AM