Simple question, any one dropped it? What's it take to break this thing? It's not as thick as the 920 so it seems like it might be more breakable. Lemme know!
    06-13-2013 10:13 PM
    Simple question, any one dropped it? What's it take to break this thing? It's not as thick as the 920 so it seems like it might be more breakable. Lemme know!
    Looks like Zomby Jeezus has, twice. Results: don't drop it, and/or buy a case. Or be more lucky than he was.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tm#post2008492
    06-13-2013 10:54 PM
    I've dropped mine 3 times on concrete, has 2 small dings at the extreme edge of the infinity screen. Quick inspection would result in an apparent flawless device.
    06-14-2013 02:30 AM
    Drop mine three times landing face down with no damage! I only have a screen saver on my 928 so I guess I am lucky!
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    06-14-2013 05:52 AM
    I think it's going to be a matter of chance and luck as much as it is being careful. When I still used it I dropped my droid incredible face down on concrete 4 times and never had more than a scratch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-14-2013 05:59 AM
    I've seen a few posts where people have broken the screen from like a 2 foot fall it seems like its not as strong as the 920 from what ive been reading but I guess we need pocketnow or one of the other sites to do a durability test
    06-14-2013 08:47 AM
    Something to keep in mind while "drop-testing" your device... This screen is more expensive to replace than most phones, if you're a DIYer, because the digitizer and the display come as one unit, fused together, not two separate units. So the $200+ price tag is probably going to be the norm for at least a little while... No $25 digitizer replacements for this phone.
    06-14-2013 09:39 AM
    Dropped from waist-high onto rough parking lot. No damage.
    Slid off kitchen table to tile floor. No damage.
    Knocked off my office desk onto tile. No damage.
    I have the case that was available on release date at Verizon and the stock screen protectors they had at the time. Less than $30 in cases and sreen protectors and the phone is still pristine. Hope that helps.
    06-14-2013 11:36 AM
    Just joined to "let you know:"

Dropped it the other night on pavers. I was sitting down and it fell out of my pocket when leaned over...less than an 18 inch drop. Screen was shattered. It looked like someone took a hammer to it.

I did some google searches and it seems that since the screen sits a little proud of the case edge the screen is a bit more vulnerable to breakage. Catch it right on the edge, like I did, and good bye screen.

I guess I'm going to find out how good the insurance is...
    07-08-2013 11:01 AM
    Dropped it twice. Once on the backside and once on the corner. About 30" on a wooden floor. No damage. However, I got wised up and got me the insurance. Just in case..
    07-09-2013 07:33 PM
    Dropped mine twice recently on concrete from a bout 3-4 ft. Both times it landed on a different corner. I have tiny cracks on each corner now with some gashing in the plastic.

Luckily, the cracks are on the borders and not in the viewing area.

Both times that I dropped the phone it bounced and fell face first with some sliding, but no scratches at all. I'm happy overall but may look into a case soon.
    07-09-2013 07:49 PM
    Dropped it on a concrete parking lot from about waist high but I have that blue gel case from Verizon so no problems. Prior to that, was thinking about just being real careful not to drop it and losing the case because I'm not crazy how the white phone looks in that blue case. I think I'll keep the case.
    07-10-2013 06:08 AM
    Dropped it on a concrete parking lot from about waist high but I have that blue gel case from Verizon so no problems. Prior to that, was thinking about just being real careful not to drop it and losing the case because I'm not crazy how the white phone looks in that blue case. I think I'll keep the case.
    I have the white 928 and the blue case from Verizon with the diagonal lines on the back of it and I love the look haha. Different taste I guess
    07-10-2013 08:34 AM
    I have the white 928 and the blue case from Verizon with the diagonal lines on the back of it and I love the look haha. Different taste I guess
    When I first got the phone I thought the black would have looked better with the blue case but the blue case with the white is growing on me. Especially after that incident in the parking lot.
    07-10-2013 09:46 AM
    The only thing I've learned from this thread is y'all are a bunch of butterfingers...

And by y'all, I mean me too... dropped it about 3 feet and it landed on it's bottom.... no case but no damage... the white 928 is a slippery little guy.
    jleebiker and maevinj like this.
    07-10-2013 10:04 AM
    Blah blah blah blah butterfingers blah blah blah.......

Yeah, I've dropped mine, too, but I've got that day one Verizon case on it. No damage.
    jleebiker likes this.
    07-10-2013 12:14 PM
    I've dropped mine a few times, usually in the TSA line at the airport and onto the tile, with no issue.

Then I put it on the seat next to me at the airport. It started sliding, but I was doing something and didn't notice there was no seat back to stop it. It fell off the airport seat to the carpeted floor. That fall was maybe 1.5 feet.
    Result: the earpiece is no longer reliable and I sometimes cannot hear calls. It'll likely get replaced this weekend.
    07-11-2013 11:26 AM

this should be a good indicator of how tough it is
    07-16-2013 03:18 PM

this should be a good indicator of how tough it is
    That's not the same phone we are talking about. Although the design and materials are similar the differences are enough to give you different results in a drop test. I'm willing to bet the 928 isn't as tough as the 920.
    hopmedic likes this.
    07-16-2013 03:46 PM
    That's not the same phone we are talking about. Although the design and materials are similar the differences are enough to give you different results in a drop test. I'm willing to bet the 928 isn't as tough as the 920.
    Agreed. But I'm not willing to throw my phone at a light post or hit it with a makeshift bat in order to prove it.
    Beast of Haeven likes this.
    07-17-2013 08:05 AM
    Only ever once dropped it from waist height onto hardwood. This was on the first day when I found out just how slippery the case was.

Slight scuff in the back plastic but otherwise survived perfectly.
    07-17-2013 08:15 AM
    Ok - Mine has now been drop-tested. This evening we came home, and my phone hit the concrete steps by the driveway. To explain, we have a motion-sensing light mounted to the rail of the deck, pointing down to the sidewalk below, and below that there are four or five steps down to the driveway, concrete. As I walked up to the steps, the light came on, and as I got to the top of the steps, I saw a snake. It was about 16-20" long, probably a juvenile, is my best guess. I haven't identified it yet.

I have some decking wood sitting there, as I am not yet done rebuilding the deck. I grabbed a piece of wood, and opened the Flashlight-X app on my phone, so I could see since it went under the deck. I went under the deck (about 4-5' off the ground) and caught up to the snake. Now let me tell you I am deathly afraid of snakes, so I was determined that this one was not going to grow up and eat me. I got the snake under the end of the wood, and it struck at the wood several times (wood about 4' long, 5/4 decking wood). My wife went and got the hoe, and I cut its head off.

I used the hoe to pick it up and take it to the sidewalk under the light, to take a picture so I could identify it. While taking the picture, it started moving. I jumped almost out of my skin, and almost falling down the steps, as I was standing on them. Of course, my phone fell, and it right on the edge of the concrete steps. Steps 1, Phone 0. Screen broke. And just one day after applying my Decal Girl skin, under the Poetic Atmosphere case. Bummer.

Here's a video of the snake moving away from its head, and a still pic of it, as well. I haven't identified it yet, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know. FYI, we're in northeast Georgia.
    http://sdrv.ms/115stGb

wp_20130719_014.jpg

Looks like tomorrow I'm heading to the Microsoft Store to get a replacement under their warranty. I'm glad I bought their warranty, rather than use Assurion's. Half the price, and I can walk into the store and walk out with a replacement.
    07-19-2013 11:23 PM
    Well, I have to say that the exchange process at Microsoft was pretty painless. I walked in, showed them my phone, they pulled up my account, saw that I'd bought the Assure, grabbed a new phone, took $50, and handed me the new phone. Most difficult part of the process was taking the Poetic Atmosphere off and peeling the Decal Girl skin from the old phone and putting it on the new one. That skin is VERY forgiving. It stretched a bit while removing it from the old phone, but it went back onto the new phone pretty well, and though it's under a case which completely hides any flaws, even without the case it wouldn't be obvious that it had been removed and replaced on a different phone. Props to Decal Girl.
    07-21-2013 07:23 PM