Just got my new 928. So far I played with it for a couple hours just getting the home screen setup started and such. Got a few (20) basic apps, (FB, twitter, adobe, speedtest, etc). the phone is fast! and man is that screen gorgeous. Camera is far superior to anything I've had on a phone. It will be doing full time duty starting Friday (waiting for contract to expire to swap numbers from sprint).

anyway, for someone coming from Andriod, does anyone have an tips and tricks. I've read around the forums and have got nokia storage checker and stuff like that. Just looking for any other advice.

Also, how long for the email for the 25 dollar app store credit? I'd love to pick up a few games for free.

Thanks everyone in advance.
    06-19-2013 10:07 AM
    Congratulations buddy. Glad to see you go with Nokia. Here's a tip: If you love music, get a subscription to Xbox music. You can do a free 30-day trial, and after that it's only $10 a month -- with unlimited downloads. It rocks. Also, Nokia Music plus is pretty awesome. I suggest you check them both out.
    Muessig and jessica_F_0205 like this.
    06-19-2013 11:07 AM
    Welcome to the fold.

Yeah as above, checkout Nokia music, it basically allows you to make your own mixes baised on your taste. Make sure you either have a tonne of data or download the mixes over wifi though.

Try grouptiles, it allows you to make header tiles so you can organise your home screen by type and catagory etc.

Phototile is nice to make your own flip photo tiles.

Podcaster is a podcast management app that will auto download and organise podcasts.

The WPcentral app is a must.

YoutubeHD, metro tube and yourtube are all good. I use youtubehd, but they all offer a great service.

Jetpack joyride, monster burner and aces of the Luftwaffe are great games.

Fantasia painter is your number 1 photo editing tool. Hands down.

Enjoy.
    jessica_F_0205 likes this.
    06-19-2013 11:25 AM
    I too came from Android about a week ago, enjoying is so far. I have a Nexus 7 so I still use Android daily. As for apps:

RSS Central and Fuse are a couple of good news readers if you use them.
    MetroTube is a good for YouTube videos
    Amazing Weather HD is nice
    Surface Cube 3D is a good alternative to IE
    WPCentral is a great app.
    BoxFiles for Dropbox is decent but I reccommend switching to Skydrive. If you have a windows 8 computer, Filebrick is great for moving over files from Dropbox or Google Drive to Skydrive.

I did a drag and drop with all my music stored on a laptop to Xbox music, no need for Google music although there are a few apps in the store for access.

I got the email in about 10 minutes after the initial request: Window Phone App Redemption
    Funky Cricket likes this.
    06-19-2013 11:32 AM
    Thanks for the link Wobblin. I'm a network engineer, and I'm pretty windows centric, been on win8 since the partner beta was released. I've had an outlook.com account since they announced the service. the 7 GB Sky Drive is nice, and I just need to relink my partner live ID with my personal one better so I can get my work one note work books on my phone.
    06-19-2013 12:10 PM
    If you've got family/friends that you keep in regular contact with, set up a Group in the People Hub. I love that feature for keeping up with my family. I have them pinned right up at the top of the home screen next to my Me tile so I always know what they're up to.

Also, for the Live tiles, some apps display different info at various tile sizes. I pin apps to the home screen I'm interested in and usually sit them at the bottom and change the size throughout the day to see what info they display. Then when I've settled on a size, I move it up into a permanent spot.

Set up Kids Corner if you've got kids. Great feature.
    06-19-2013 01:48 PM
    I was going to do kids corner, but i'm not wild about a pin on my phone, just never got used to having to enter something to get into my phone. though I love the idea of kids corner.
    Is there any apps for dial 911, I noticed that the phone button doesn't bring up the phone dialer.
    06-19-2013 02:21 PM
    I don't use the pin with kids corner, I've just told my son that kid's corner is where he needs to go. I have all of his games pinned there, so he prefers going there anyways, plus he gets to see a picture of himself when he swipes over.
    06-19-2013 03:42 PM
    I'm considering making the switch from the HTC Droid DNA to the Nokia Lumia 928. I have a question though. Is there a way to sync my calendar and contacts from my gmail account with my hotmail account, via CardDAV, CalDAV, or whatever? This is the only thing that might hold me back, as I basically live by google calendar.
    06-19-2013 04:59 PM
    I'm considering making the switch from the HTC Droid DNA to the Nokia Lumia 928. I have a question though. Is there a way to sync my calendar and contacts from my gmail account with my hotmail account, via CardDAV, CalDAV, or whatever? This is the only thing that might hold me back, as I basically live by google calendar.
    You can link your Google account with your Hotmail account, and it'll pull in your contacts and calendar. You can create contacts on your gmail account when you add a new one, but I'm not sure the Calendar syncs both ways.
    06-20-2013 11:56 AM
    I used Trueswitch and pulled all my Gmail and used the excellent tips from wpcentral to pull my contacts and calender.

https://secure5.trueswitch.com/hotmail/

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...-live-com.html
    06-20-2013 12:04 PM
    If you press and hold the Windows Start Button it triggers the Voice Command center where you can tell it to find / navigate / search / call etc. In many instances after I search the phone brings up options that allow me to call or drive, press drive and you can navigate with Drive +. Absolutely awesome ! I have 2 of the pedestal wireless charging platforms that Nokia makes and am waiting on the wireless car charger to come out.

Just got my new 928. So far I played with it for a couple hours just getting the home screen setup started and such. Got a few (20) basic apps, (FB, twitter, adobe, speedtest, etc). the phone is fast! and man is that screen gorgeous. Camera is far superior to anything I've had on a phone. It will be doing full time duty starting Friday (waiting for contract to expire to swap numbers from sprint).

anyway, for someone coming from Andriod, does anyone have an tips and tricks. I've read around the forums and have got nokia storage checker and stuff like that. Just looking for any other advice.

Also, how long for the email for the 25 dollar app store credit? I'd love to pick up a few games for free.

Thanks everyone in advance.
    06-20-2013 12:12 PM
    06-20-2013 12:46 PM
    Just updated Office to 2013 on my work machine and synced my one note to skydrive, wow. this will save me tons of time when I have to go a clients. I can take notes right on my phone and just cut paste into auto task when I get back to my laptop.
    06-20-2013 01:13 PM
    You can link your Google account with your Hotmail account, and it'll pull in your contacts and calendar. You can create contacts on your gmail account when you add a new one, but I'm not sure the Calendar syncs both ways.
    Thanks! So if I create a contact in Hotmail, it'll sync with my Google Contacts, correct?
    06-21-2013 12:04 AM
    I just got rid of my google account entirely. Now I only have two email services to sync, outlook.com, and outlook for work. Made my life simpler.
    06-21-2013 09:56 AM

Well if Google still has ActiveSync configured on your account, you can set it up using that and it will sync perfect. If you've never used it before it might not be configured then I think you might have to wait until the update that will include CardDAV and CalDAV.
    06-21-2013 10:57 AM
    Well if Google still has ActiveSync configured on your account, you can set it up using that and it will sync perfect. If you've never used it before it might not be configured then I think you might have to wait until the update that will include CardDAV and CalDAV.
    I did use it in the past. I will have to see if it still works. Thanks!
    07-07-2013 10:06 AM
    Hi,
    Checkout my app which allows users to create voice commands to launch into Nokia drive or Nokia transit. E.g. "go to home"
    http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...1-9a256d1f68a3
    07-20-2013 09:04 AM