Newest Android Convert!

brianbrain

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm sure no one really cares, but with all the negative talk about people going back to IOS or Android, I wanted to throw my hat into the positive ring. I got my 928 the other day, and while it does have a mild case of the "ugly softkeys", it's not a deal breaker by any means for me.

Regarding Windows Mobile as whole - I wasn't sure I'd stay with it even before I got the phone. I figured there were too many things missing from Android and I was too far gone into google land.

Not so, it seems! It took a bit of configuring (but no more time than I would've spent organizing my home screen on a new android phone), but now I have gvoice through MetroTalk (which pushes new VM notifications quicker than my Android does, somehow), and I have my new Outlook.com account playing nicely with my gmail address. Every app I've needed I've found, and the OS is just a wonderfully fluid beast. I seriously understand now why Microsoft felt confident in their "smoked by windows phone" campaign (despite the bad press from WP being "smoked" itself) - there really are far less key presses needed to get to where you want to go.

Suffice to say, I think I'll be hanging on to this guy for a while. I still have to evaluate XBOX Music Pass v Google Music as well as what to do with my Google Drive stuff, but judging on the hurdles that have been cleared so far, I'm not worried (plus things will have to be *really* bad for me to change my mind at this point). Overall, big thumps up over here. Happy customer!

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
As I get closer and closer to my upgrade, posts like this make me really excited to switch. Glad you've had a great experience so far!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

brianbrain

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
As I get closer and closer to my upgrade, posts like this make me really excited to switch. Glad you've had a great experience so far!

Glad I could help! One other thought - I didn't think I'd care that much, but holy crap is wireless charging convenient. Maybe I'm just a lazy fart, but having a charging pad sitting at my desk at work is the best. I'm always just plopping my phone down anyway, why not let it charge (for some reason I would hardly ever plug the USB charger in though..). Taking it home at the end of the day with a full charge ready to go for the night time is pretty awesome. Definitely recommend the charger - a seller on Amazon has them for $30/pop (and I think they're on eBay for $25) so a worthy accessory.

Oh, also - I'm not really digging XBOX Music so far..but Nokia Music just completed a great trial ride home in my car..not bad at all.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Glad I could help! One other thought - I didn't think I'd care that much, but holy crap is wireless charging convenient. Maybe I'm just a lazy fart, but having a charging pad sitting at my desk at work is the best. I'm always just plopping my phone down anyway, why not let it charge (for some reason I would hardly ever plug the USB charger in though..). Taking it home at the end of the day with a full charge ready to go for the night time is pretty awesome. Definitely recommend the charger - a seller on Amazon has them for $30/pop (and I think they're on eBay for $25) so a worthy accessory.

Oh, also - I'm not really digging XBOX Music so far..but Nokia Music just completed a great trial ride home in my car..not bad at all.

I agree about the wireless charging. It is extremely convenient. No need to line everything up. No loose micro-usb connections from too much plug/unplug/plug/unplug....

aalex

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Android. Prior to Android I was on the iPhone and prior to that the BlackBerry.

Music is a big deal. The syncing of music is fine IF you buy an Xbox music subscription and just use that with nothing else. What playlists you create etc in Xbox music will simply be there on your Lumia. But...

If you try to manage your own music, in my opinion it is a train wreck. It's so bad it defies logic and common sense that Microsoft could and would dare to release something this horrible and not even warn us by saying a major overhaul is in the works.

To say nothing and wait for users to discover this is like digging a little hole and hiding your head in it. It's beyond stupid. It's retarded, careless and Microsoft needs to stop being jackasses and just do their jobs or concede the market to those that will and do.

So far there is so much to like about Windows Phone 8 but it is also so unfinished. I often think of just leaving the platform because of little things that are missing. Windows Phone 8 feels like a 1.0 release because it is. It's a new beginning and we have to cut them some slack. It is however much easier to cut some slack when we're told up front what is missing and what is coming up so we can decide what we're willing to give up and wait for. Being forthcoming could be an asset but Microsoft is anything buy that. It's too bad.

Nothing upsets me more than big companies that play dumb. It makes me feel like a stupid ***** that was dumb enough to get sucker punched. It's not going to build any loyalty and instead fosters distrust.

Even their twitter account acts dumb. You can't sync music they ask? No duh no one can. Then they act stupid about it. As if the only way you'd want to do this is with Xbox music. I just hate people that pretend to be ignorant when they are not. And if they are fire them because if work for the company I expect you to know your product. Again, just be forthcoming or get lost.

Sent from my Nokia 928 with Tapatalk

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree. There is a lot to love about WP8 and the 928, but there are build quality issues, lack of features that business users need: email, calendar, Office shortcomings and lack of software (understandable). I am trying to decide whether to keep my 928 and deal with the shortcomings and settle for less efficiency for business use. Will Microsoft fix some of these shortcomings this year? I don't think so. I don't see them touching email, Office, file management or the calendar in a significant way. They will probably work on notifications, media and the app store. They are missing a large group of users by not meeting the needs of business people.

That is what you need to decide before going with WP8. If you are a power business user it is not the best option out there right now. If you need basic email without attachment replies and forwarding, a simple calendar and very limited Office support this is a great OS. If you want XBOX connectivity and use your phone for navigation then this phone is excellent. If you are looking for a robust web browser this is not the platform for you. If you want something smooth as silk, different and very simple I don't think you can do better than WP8. The other consideration is how hard will Microsoft and WP8 be hit if Nokia fails as a company. Can Microsoft get other manufacturers on board with WP8. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is great when things are going well but when they go bad it jeopardizes everyone involved.

Last edited:

aalex

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft can always make the phones themselves the way they do with the Surface. I'm just surprised that they don't put in all the resources required to get this done correctly. They have endless money to work with. To me it's simple. You enter a race with the sole objective of winning the race. Otherwise why run at all.

When they look at their music offering do they honestly believe they have the winning app and process? If not, why are they wasting our time?

Do they believe they have the best email? The best method for dealing with attachments? A system that is a file system or replaces the need for one? Again, best or not. If not, don't waste our time.

Don't come to the world stage with lessor products and pretend to be offer value. Either win, or don't race.

RapidTurtle

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 928 a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. It has everything I need, I don't have any problems with the email, music or apps. I simply make a playlist on my computer, sync the phone and it is on the 928. I don't see how it could be any easier. I have always had Android, and I find the Windows system easier to use than Android. I love the tiles and how easy it is to find what you want on this phone. It just seems like a smarter system to me.

that_maynard

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered one for myself and my wife wanted one. I have the SG3 and the wife had a SG2, so I do look forward to Wednesday when they arrive.

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
As a former Android user my biggest love of the WP8 and Nokia 928 is the battery life and fluidity. No more worries. But I still have my Android tablet for some game apps that I like. But WP8 is the better phone OS IMHO. And I need a phone to be a phone and GPS unit which this does fine. The GPS lock is much better on WP8. If you are outdoors a lot and not near power, this is the best phone for you. After 10 hours using a GPS tracker, I still had 40% power. Unbelievable based on Android phones but true.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just came from android as well. Not much to complain about and a lot to like so far. drive beta just did a great job driving through the boonies of northern Michigan too.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 Nokia stand-up charges to show off my 928 at home and at the office

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I had a very frustrating experience this weekend trying to create a playlist in my phone and spent sometime online with a MSFT support person. Some tips that I gleaned from my Saturday

It is possible to create a playlist of your own music stored on your phone by following these steps :

1) Power your phone down to empty the "Now Playing" queue
2) Open Music+Videos, go to collection and then music
3) I created my list by album but you could do it by songs or artist
4) Press and hold artist/album/song.....select add to now playing
5) Repeat 4) until all of your artists/albums/songs are in the now playing queue
6) Start playing one of the songs that you added to the now playing queue from the music collection
7) Below the album artwork click the name of the next song and it will take you to the "Now Playing" list where you should see all of your playlist artists/albums/songs
8) At the bottom of "Now Playing" there is a save button. Press it. Name your playlist and you're done.

I switched from Android. Prior to Android I was on the iPhone and prior to that the BlackBerry.

Music is a big deal. The syncing of music is fine IF you buy an Xbox music subscription and just use that with nothing else. What playlists you create etc in Xbox music will simply be there on your Lumia. But...

If you try to manage your own music, in my opinion it is a train wreck. It's so bad it defies logic and common sense that Microsoft could and would dare to release something this horrible and not even warn us by saying a major overhaul is in the works.

To say nothing and wait for users to discover this is like digging a little hole and hiding your head in it. It's beyond stupid. It's retarded, careless and Microsoft needs to stop being jackasses and just do their jobs or concede the market to those that will and do.

So far there is so much to like about Windows Phone 8 but it is also so unfinished. I often think of just leaving the platform because of little things that are missing. Windows Phone 8 feels like a 1.0 release because it is. It's a new beginning and we have to cut them some slack. It is however much easier to cut some slack when we're told up front what is missing and what is coming up so we can decide what we're willing to give up and wait for. Being forthcoming could be an asset but Microsoft is anything buy that. It's too bad.

Nothing upsets me more than big companies that play dumb. It makes me feel like a stupid ***** that was dumb enough to get sucker punched. It's not going to build any loyalty and instead fosters distrust.

Even their twitter account acts dumb. You can't sync music they ask? No duh no one can. Then they act stupid about it. As if the only way you'd want to do this is with Xbox music. I just hate people that pretend to be ignorant when they are not. And if they are fire them because if work for the company I expect you to know your product. Again, just be forthcoming or get lost.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
No OS is perfect. I have found that every platform has certain shortcomings that people adjust to and accept as a cost of having all the good points the platform offers. Then, when someone changes to a new platform, they tend to only see the shortcomings of the new platform over the new benefits found in the new platform.

WP is organized in a dramatically different way than Android, iOS, or BlackBerry. It will take awhile to adjust to WP and how it is set up. Once you learn how WP works, then you have to decide which OS has the fewest shortcomings in areas that matter to you. Inertia is a powerful force and there will always be a bias toward what you are used to using, over something that is unfamiliar.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
No OS is perfect. I have found that every platform has certain shortcomings that people adjust to and accept as a cost of having all the good points the platform offers. Then, when someone changes to a new platform, they tend to only see the shortcomings of the new platform over the new benefits found in the new platform.

WP is organized in a dramatically different way than Android, iOS, or BlackBerry. It will take awhile to adjust to WP and how it is set up. Once you learn how WP works, then you have to decide which OS has the fewest shortcomings in areas that matter to you. Inertia is a powerful force and there will always be a bias toward what you are used to using, over something that is unfamiliar.

I agree with this but I would at the very least expect to have the same fuctionality in an app across all of the OS's. It shouldn't feel like I just went backwards 2 years. Overall it's a great OS and you don't know until you try them all. I don't regret making the change but I do hope the OS and apps will catch up with the others. my 2 cents...

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I agree. There is a lot to love about WP8 and the 928, but there are build quality issues, lack of features that business users need: email, calendar, Office shortcomings and lack of software (understandable). I am trying to decide whether to keep my 928 and deal with the shortcomings and settle for less efficiency for business use. Will Microsoft fix some of these shortcomings this year? I don't think so. I don't see them touching email, Office, file management or the calendar in a significant way. They will probably work on notifications, media and the app store. They are missing a large group of users by not meeting the needs of business people.

That is what you need to decide before going with WP8. If you are a power business user it is not the best option out there right now. If you need basic email without attachment replies and forwarding, a simple calendar and very limited Office support this is a great OS. If you want XBOX connectivity and use your phone for navigation then this phone is excellent. If you are looking for a robust web browser this is not the platform for you. If you want something smooth as silk, different and very simple I don't think you can do better than WP8. The other consideration is how hard will Microsoft and WP8 be hit if Nokia fails as a company. Can Microsoft get other manufacturers on board with WP8. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is great when things are going well but when they go bad it jeopardizes everyone involved.

That is quite interesting. I am a power business user and WP8 does everything I need and more. It also offers integration that simply does not exist on any other platform, although the Office offering for IOS does address that a bit. There are no limits on email syncing and I can open any attachment that is sent to me. When I set up my Office 365 business email, it asked me whether I also wanted to setup Lync 2013 which is certainly robust functionality for the businesses and agencies with whom I work. For Office attachments, I can open them in a clean display on the phone or the Office web apps. I can even manage basics functions on my home server, and access several TB of data, via the app for Windows Server 2012 Essentials.

If you think that the OS does not meet your needs, please feel free to say so any time as that is your right. It would be appreciated though if you did not label yourself as some sort of spokesperson for business users. You are only speaking for yourself - to make blanket statements about "business users" or any other group cries out arrogant presumptionon your part, plus a remarkably simplistic view of the users for whom you claim to speak.

JD Fig

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I too just switched from a Droid Bionic. I am mostly ok with WP8 and I love the 928 from the hardware standpoint. However, I too agree that music is a big deal. I was really concerned with this and debated for 3 weeks before deciding to get the 928.

XBOX Music is a TRAIN WRECK! - What happened to the functionality of Zune? This isn't just bad, it's awful. Just read the few posts above about how many hoops to jump through just to create a playlist on the phone. What's sad is, you can't delete a song off the playlist, on the PC side there is no search function until you click start, and so on and so on. I cannot believe that they had such a cool interface in Zune and they have reduced it to this. It's like their original FB app. Unfinished and horrible.

Rant off

Deihmos1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have been seriously thinking about switching to Windows but when I think about all the apps I would not be able to use I change my mind. The Nokia 925 looks good. I will continue to monitor the app situation.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been seriously thinking about switching to Windows but when I think about all the apps I would not be able to use I change my mind. The Nokia 925 looks good. I will continue to monitor the app situation.

Which apps specifically? I see people say this all the time but never with details. I used to think I would similarly be lacking apps, but yesterday when I searched on the Windows Phone website, almost every app I regularly use was available. Maybe if you haven't before a quick search would surprise you too?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss