Newest Android Convert!

Deihmos1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Which apps specifically? I see people say this all the time but never with details. I used to think I would similarly be lacking apps, but yesterday when I searched on the Windows Phone website, almost every app I regularly use was available. Maybe if you haven't before a quick search would surprise you too?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mint, quicken, google music (nothing like it on wp), google maps and chrome browser just to name a few. My wife loves the game candy crush it does not exist on wp and I read words with friends isn't good on wp.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Which apps specifically? I see people say this all the time but never with details. I used to think I would similarly be lacking apps, but yesterday when I searched on the Windows Phone website, almost every app I regularly use was available. Maybe if you haven't before a quick search would surprise you too?

This.

I think the only thing some co-workers are missing is an app to keep alerting text messages for On Call. In case you miss that first one when sleeping.

JD Fig

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a very frustrating experience this weekend trying to create a playlist in my phone and spent sometime online with a MSFT support person. Some tips that I gleaned from my Saturday

It is possible to create a playlist of your own music stored on your phone by following these steps :

1) Power your phone down to empty the "Now Playing" queue
2) Open Music+Videos, go to collection and then music
3) I created my list by album but you could do it by songs or artist
4) Press and hold artist/album/song.....select add to now playing
5) Repeat 4) until all of your artists/albums/songs are in the now playing queue
6) Start playing one of the songs that you added to the now playing queue from the music collection
7) Below the album artwork click the name of the next song and it will take you to the "Now Playing" list where you should see all of your playlist artists/albums/songs
8) At the bottom of "Now Playing" there is a save button. Press it. Name your playlist and you're done.

I cannot get this to work except with an album. Individual songs wont work because after you add a single song, play it, and look below the album art, the next song up is not on your list, but from the album in which you attempted to take the individual song from. I sincerely hope they get their act together with this. It's embarrassing after having had Zune and the Zune players

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Mint, quicken, google music (nothing like it on wp), google maps and chrome browser just to name a few. My wife loves the game candy crush it does not exist on wp and I read words with friends isn't good on wp.

Those are all fair examples. I will miss Mint. Some of them have replacements, or at least things that are similar. I'm glad you've actually looked though. I think too many people say what you said blindly with no evidence to actually backup the 'horrible, terrible lack of apps in the barren wasteland that is the Windows Phone Store'.

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Granted, I've installed it, and I haven't had a chance to mess with it, but CloudMuzik claims to be a Google Music alternative.

I used CloudMuzik and it worked great but not for All Access. I now use Gooroovster which works well with 2 step verification. I thought the update got it working for All Access playlists but it only pulls the first song. Will contact developer about that. But Gooroovster works very well for Google Music. Love it. I also use Google Maps app and it works fine as well. Dont really miss chrome browser as it still crashes alot on my Nexus 7.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Well thats your problem right there...your still in android universe..google and microsoft dont get along (im sure you know that) doesnt mean Windows doesnt have those same functions..Nokia Here apps, Nokia/Xbox Music, and IE10, I heard there was a 3rd party app for Mint? idk anything about quicken though, though if they have a good mobile website you can always 'pin' the website as a tile.
and when I was in android i was obsessed with Temple Run then I switched to WP8...2 weeks in and I was already playing some other game (now we have the game and I didnt even download it :p)

Your reasons are valid, those apps arent there, but its like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft literally just announced (about 10mins ago) in a Build keynote that Mint is bringing their app to Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.
So, Mint is coming...

again :)

Oh hell yes. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's a good time to get into WP8...

Deihmos1

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Well thats your problem right there...your still in android universe..google and microsoft dont get along (im sure you know that) doesnt mean Windows doesnt have those same functions..Nokia Here apps, Nokia/Xbox Music, and IE10, I heard there was a 3rd party app for Mint? idk anything about quicken though, though if they have a good mobile website you can always 'pin' the website as a tile.
and when I was in android i was obsessed with Temple Run then I switched to WP8...2 weeks in and I was already playing some other game (now we have the game and I didnt even download it :p)

Your reasons are valid, those apps arent there, but its like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole

Skydrive and Office are what interests me the most in Windows Phone but everything else kind of puts me off. I like keeping my bookmarks in sync with my phone. I cannot stand to use IE 10 at home. I am not really into games but I like my wife to have the same phone as I do and she likes that candy game. Mint said a Windows Phone app was coming over a year ago but it never happened. Google Maps / Navigation is superior to Bing Maps imo. I don't really have any gripes with Android. Things are getting better for Windows Phone so I will continue to monitor.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Skydrive and Office are what interests me the most in Windows Phone but everything else kind of puts me off. I like keeping my bookmarks in sync with my phone. I cannot stand to use IE 10 at home. I am not really into games but I like my wife to have the same phone as I do and she likes that candy game. Mint said a Windows Phone app was coming over a year ago but it never happened. Google Maps / Navigation is superior to Bing Maps imo. I don't really have any gripes with Android. Things are getting better for Windows Phone so I will continue to monitor.

I have a Surface Pro and use IE 10 at home because Chrome absolutely sucks on touchscreen devices, so I'm eager to see the tab/bookmark syncing with the next version of IE/Windows. The pessimism over the Mint app is understood, but you should give them a little benefit of the doubt. Considering the kernel of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 is the same, it's easier to develop for one platform and ship for both, so Mint coming to Windows 8 and Phone 8 makes sense since Windows 8 is gaining market share and porting to WP8 isn't too hard... and because Microsoft is wisely throwing money at developers.

Still, can't say I blame you for the wait and see approach. I switched because, honestly, my Android device was starting to genuinely **** me off, and while there are issues with WP8 (the lack of Mint app and Google Maps gave me pause as well), none of the niggles I'm dealing with now are deal breakers. Of course, different people have different needs. :)

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Those are all fair examples. I will miss Mint. Some of them have replacements, or at least things that are similar. I'm glad you've actually looked though. I think too many people say what you said blindly with no evidence to actually backup the 'horrible, terrible lack of apps in the barren wasteland that is the Windows Phone Store'.

Good news, Mint is coming :)

EDIT: I see others beat me to the punch...Still great news though! I use Mint on my xoom...and anything to get me a step closer to unifying my mobile experience across the board (i.e., convincing me that a Win8 tab is a great thing for me to buy) is a good thing.

dbeattie

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
All access has been a pain so far. I created a document of the problems with getting it working on WP and a MS evangelist sent it to the WP engineers, needless to say, they weren't very helpful. Granted its probably not high on their list of priorities. I speak with the creator of CloudMuzik all the time and we've been trying to figure out the best way to get all access working. I'll probably release an update pretty soon so Gooroovster users can at least download all access music but it still won't stream them and I'd personally like to have the radio functionality if I'm going to pay for the service.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't switched yet...Sprint user waiting on NEO...but I'm a business owner who wants a complete W8 ecosystem. I can't see how WP8 wouldn't be a perfect match outside of transition anxiety and credit card swiping apps. When I first looked into WP it was with 7 and yes there was a lot of apps missing. Now there's no reason for me to not make the switch from Android. I actually founded my company on an all Android/Google ecosystem. I prefer streaming my music now due to so many good services available now. I don't play many games on my phone (that's what tablets/consoles are for), but what I do play are now on WP8. The office and outlook integration is a plus. The silky smooth and ease of use is also convincing. I know it will pain me to move from Google to MS, but my reasons not to have been chipped away by WP8 and upcoming Blue. I suggest that those that are on the fence to go through this forum and read up on everything. There's a lot of knowledge to gain to avoid repeating the frustrations of others.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The one app not available on Windows Phone that I really, really wish was on there is MLB At the Ballpark. I can even live without the MLB At Bat app (I primarily check scores, and ESPN ScoreCenter is perfect for doing that), but I like checking in at the ballpark, especially when they have giveaways associated with checking in (like they usually do with the Baltimore Orioles at OPACY). The lack of that app will actually be a consideration when I decide which mobile OS to go with in the long-term (it's pretty much neck and neck between WP8 and iOS at this point, though I do want to give BB10 a go to see if I like it, much like I liked the BB Playbook; Android has been eliminated from contention due to poor performance :smile:).

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I just had the pleasure of playing around with a 928 and walked away with the utmost respect for it. It was so smooth, fast, responsive and very intuitive. If this is the way most WP8 devices work, then I am going to love moving from Android to WP8 even with the short comings. Those who are able to get the 928, I highly recommend it to anyone.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the wireless charging. It is extremely convenient. No need to line everything up. No loose micro-usb connections from too much plug/unplug/plug/unplug....

I had to have a 2nd Trophy because of this exact reason. One to use and one to charge the battery bc the USB plug in my main phone went dead and it wouldn't connect to anything. LOVE WIRELESS CHARGING!!!

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
As I get closer and closer to my upgrade, posts like this make me really excited to switch. Glad you've had a great experience so far!

I'm in the same boat, upgrade at the end of the month. I'm still on the fence about WP, but posts like this do make it more desirable. Gah, if only notifications were better and Google wasn't being a [language] about apps! *sigh*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos