Newest Android Convert!

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, upgrade at the end of the month. I'm still on the fence about WP, but posts like this do make it more desirable. Gah, if only notifications were better and Google wasn't being a [language] about apps! *sigh*

I made the switch ten days ago. Notifications haven't been a big issue for me yet, though I do wish they were better. I keep feeling paranoid that I've missed something because I was never notified or missed the notification. But I believe they will improve and for now they're really probably fine if you learn how to interpret them or whatever.

The Google stuff is kind of annoying. So far I've had a sub-par experience with my Gmail account and the email app on WP, so I'm considering getting an Outlook email account to forward my Gmails to. I don't feel like giving up my Gmail account that I've had for 9 years. Metrotalk has been a fine replacement for Google Voice, which I only use to receive my voicemails anyway, and other than that every other service has been covered for me just fine. Here Drive+, while I haven't used it a lot, has been fine when I have used it, and SkyDrive seems pretty great but I'm still getting adjusted to its differences from Google Drive.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch ten days ago. Notifications haven't been a big issue for me yet, though I do wish they were better. I keep feeling paranoid that I've missed something because I was never notified or missed the notification. But I believe they will improve and for now they're really probably fine if you learn how to interpret them or whatever.

The Google stuff is kind of annoying. So far I've had a sub-par experience with my Gmail account and the email app on WP, so I'm considering getting an Outlook email account to forward my Gmails to. I don't feel like giving up my Gmail account that I've had for 9 years. Metrotalk has been a fine replacement for Google Voice, which I only use to receive my voicemails anyway, and other than that every other service has been covered for me just fine. Here Drive+, while I haven't used it a lot, has been fine when I have used it, and SkyDrive seems pretty great but I'm still getting adjusted to its differences from Google Drive.
I have two GMail accounts (one which I use for everything and have had for years), so that's concerning. Still, GMail and Drive are the only things I use on a regular basis,so hopefully I can make the switch OK. I have a dislike for hotmail since an account of mine was hacked a while ago, and closing it was an absolute disaster. Thanks for the post by the way.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

What issues are you having with your gmail and the email app? My experience on my 8x has been fine, but maybe I'm not considering some features you rely on.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
What issues are you having with your gmail and the email app? My experience on my 8x has been fine, but maybe I'm not considering some features you rely on.

Well one thing that is pretty integral to my Gmail workflow is labels and archiving, both of which aren't supported in the email app. I have rules set up for just about everything to be auto-labeled, and from there often times it's a matter of quickly reading and then archiving in order to keep a record of it - can't really do that. And can't even view labels.

Other than that, I've had a few quirky things like stuff sending with weird coding-looking language at the beginning? Looks super weird and don't know if that has anything to do with Gmail or just the email app. Then I feel like there's one or two more things that were sort of buggy, but I don't remember what. And I send from 3 different Gmail accounts all routed through a 'master account,' and you can't really handle that 'elegantly' on WP8. All said though, I love Windows Phone and I'm so happy on it, so no regrets! Just need to figure out a mobile email solution that works a little smoother for my purposes.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have two GMail accounts (one which I use for everything and have had for years), so that's concerning. Still, GMail and Drive are the only things I use on a regular basis,so hopefully I can make the switch OK. I have a dislike for hotmail since an account of mine was hacked a while ago, and closing it was an absolute disaster. Thanks for the post by the way.

I think you'll be just fine switching! But only you can really decide after you've used it. Best advice I can give!

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll be just fine switching! But only you can really decide after you've used it. Best advice I can give!
Thanks again. I'm hoping VZW won't be too awful with a trial period (or will at least offer one this time!). I've heard of them, but I hear there's a "restocking fee" that's ridiculously expensive. I'm going to be stuck with this phone for 1.5-2 years, so I'd like to give it a try first!

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again. I'm hoping VZW won't be too awful with a trial period (or will at least offer one this time!). I've heard of them, but I hear there's a "restocking fee" that's ridiculously expensive. I'm going to be stuck with this phone for 1.5-2 years, so I'd like to give it a try first!

What I understand is that within 14 days you can return a device for another one or for your upgrade credit back, but it'll cost you $35 restocking. I doubt you'd get them to waive it, but you never know...

IamTech1000

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence as well when thinking about getting the 928. I checked it out in a VZW store on Friday and was impressed. I have been reading a lot of different posts in the forums, and it seems that the good outweighs the bad. I will go check it out again tomorrow and may be the newest android convert lol

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence as well when thinking about getting the 928. I checked it out in a VZW store on Friday and was impressed. I have been reading a lot of different posts in the forums, and it seems that the good outweighs the bad. I will go check it out again tomorrow and may be the newest android convert lol

I did and have been happy with the move. Returned the S4 and kept the 928. With the exception of a weird Bluetooth issue between the phone and my car radio its been good so far.

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Pandora and Nokia music work fine for me, but it is not really a big deal to me to be honest.
I love the *REAL* Office integration this platform offers. The call quality of the 928 is way better than my DroidX, Galaxy Nexus or HTC8x ever was. It reminds me of my Nokia phone from 1997. Crystal clear audio.

IamTech1000

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I did and have been happy with the move. Returned the S4 and kept the 928. With the exception of a weird Bluetooth issue between the phone and my car radio its been good so far.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
Well I had got the phone the other day and it had a pink line going down the left side of the screen. Not a good first impression to say the least. And I have read on here and on VZW website where people have had multiple replacements. I wasn't trying to go through that lol.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well the good news is Nokia stands by their products and will take care of you. Did you try to return it to the store you got it from?
I have a 920 and its been rock solid with no issues. This is my first Nokia in at least 15 years, and I'm very impressed.

IamTech1000

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Yea I took it back the next day. They were gonna give me another one but I declined n just went back to my old phone. I just really didn't want to go into possibly having to get multiple replacements.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

xsentrick

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Just switched from a Droid Bionic to a 928 3 days ago and while I think it's too soon to make a complete and fair review, I will say that I've been very impressed with the functionality and feel of the phone. Used all weekend. Went to a club Sat night and took some dark room shots of the band playing and they came out great! Call quality is top notch. Much better than my Droids ever were. I'm new to WP so I'm still learning, but I like what I've seen so far.

NTUser

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
What I understand is that within 14 days you can return a device for another one or for your upgrade credit back, but it'll cost you $35 restocking. I doubt you'd get them to waive it, but you never know...
Oh the joys of being a VZW customer. *heavy sigh* Thanks for the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss