Build Quality

Tomad9#AC

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I am on my 2nd Nokia 928 as the 1st would lock up alot and had the really loud vibrating motor. Anyway VZW replaced it with a new one which was great on their part but a couple weeks of owning the new phone I am starting to hear the creaking noise that some people have and it seems like the vibration is going towards being really loud again. Anyway my question is that this being the 1st time I have owned a Nokia phone, is this the phone quality to be expected? My concern is that if the phone is only a few weeks old, is this what it settles to or will it get worse?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I can only attest for my 920. The vibration is louder than my evo was, but I don't think it's too loud. And it hasn't changed a bit since I got it back in Nov.

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 928 and have had absolutely no build issues at all. Actually my unit is rock solid with a tremendous battery. Maybe the store you go to got a bad lot? Also, the vibration on mine is just fine and spot on.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I am on my 2nd Nokia 928 as the 1st would lock up alot and had the really loud vibrating motor. Anyway VZW replaced it with a new one which was great on their part but a couple weeks of owning the new phone I am starting to hear the creaking noise that some people have and it seems like the vibration is going towards being really loud again. Anyway my question is that this being the 1st time I have owned a Nokia phone, is this the phone quality to be expected? My concern is that if the phone is only a few weeks old, is this what it settles to or will it get worse?

Trust me, you're not alone. I was on 928 #7 and finally threw in the towel. While I'm sure there are some out there that have good build quality, I didn't get any of them. Almost all of them had the loud and rattling vibration motor and even when I thought I had a good one, within a week it got loud and rattled. Not to mention the backlit buttons on all of mine were messed up and I had the case creak on almost all of them as well. Not to mention some had the glass separated from the bezel to the point of letting dust in.

I'm really not saying this to be negative, but I was completely disappointed and underwhelmed with the Nokia build quality on this phone. People can say what they want about Samsung's "plasticky" phones, but my S4 is completely solid, smooth vibrator, doesn't creak, buttons are solid and bright white and no blemishes on the overall build quality. Regardless of the perceived build quality of the 928, the S4 feels much better to me.

Other than the defects and blemishes, the 928 is a fantastic phone. I really liked WP8 overall as well minus a few gripes. I really hope you get the 928 that you deserve!

Tomad9#AC

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Trust me, you're not alone. I was on 928 #7 and finally threw in the towel. While I'm sure there are some out there that have good build quality, I didn't get any of them. Almost all of them had the loud and rattling vibration motor and even when I thought I had a good one, within a week it got loud and rattled. Not to mention the backlit buttons on all of mine were messed up and I had the case creak on almost all of them as well. Not to mention some had the glass separated from the bezel to the point of letting dust in.

I'm really not saying this to be negative, but I was completely disappointed and underwhelmed with the Nokia build quality on this phone. People can say what they want about Samsung's "plasticky" phones, but my S4 is completely solid, smooth vibrator, doesn't creak, buttons are solid and bright white and no blemishes on the overall build quality. Regardless of the perceived build quality of the 928, the S4 feels much better to me.

Other than the defects and blemishes, the 928 is a fantastic phone. I really liked WP8 overall as well minus a few gripes. I really hope you get the 928 that you deserve!

I hear you. The camera on my 1st was not that good and the battery life was not nearly as good as this one. This one will go an entire day and then some and I use 3 plus hours of talk as well as text, web and heavy email. That is why I am torn between taking a chance on another or sticking with this one. Oh well.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I received my fourth in the mail today, and it has the same gunky button even though they "hand picked" it for me, and "made sure it doesn't have any of the defects" I've had. Oh, and it's a refurb. I'm just going to keep the one I've had for almost a month now. The only problem with it is the gunky button, and I can live with it. I just have a lot less respect for Nokia's quality control processes.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that someone goes through 7 phones and isn't happy with one of them.

Well it's not hard to believe when every single one of them had messy looking buttons, a creaking back case and the phone sounding like it's falling apart when the notification vibrator goes off. Not to mention some of them having a gap between the glass and the bezel which lets dust in. None of that is acceptable to me for $500, especially when there are countless other phones available that don't have these issues. It gets to the point that it's not worth it.

I understand it's hard to believe if you haven't experienced these things, but many people are affected some of these issues if not all of them.

Tomad9#AC

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Well the funny thing is that it did not creak when I got it and the vibration was ok. The vibration seems to be hit and miss. I am just worried the phone will go south, but I guess that is why I buy the insurance.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
after 3 I would be done. 7 is ridiculous.

Well, I am done and back on Android for the moment since no other WP8 device is appealing to me on Verizon at the moment. I agree 7 is ridiculous, but I really wanted it to work out. The ridiculous part is the shoddy build quality of this phone. It was my first Nokia device and depending on the merger or buyout rumors, maybe my last.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site

• I am right there with you. I have gone through 12 928's and every one has had a defect above and beyond the messed up Windows Button. I love WP8 and this phone so much that I just kept trying but eventually I had to give up. I ended up getting an S4 as well. I have a Note 2, but travel a lot and wanted the extra features for hands free use while in the car. There are a lot of things I don't like about the S4, but I have no build quality issues at all and contrary to what many are saying in the forums my battery life and call quality are on par with my Note 2 which was excellent in those two areas. I know that the 928 is a great phone I am just unlucky and maybe the first several batches my city received had some bad ones. I will definitely keep an eye on WP8 and hopefully will be able to buy one again this fall. I heard that HTC is making a WP8 variant based on the HTC One. That would be nice. Good luck!

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that someone goes through 7 phones and isn't happy with one of them.

I don't. I have gone through 12 928's and all of them have had a major defect. These things are mass produced and Nokia isn't making them anymore. When those of us are paying full retail for a phone we have the right to get one that works and functions 100%. I am glad that many of you were lucky and received devices that had no issues, but it happens. These things are mass produced and rushed to market to keep up with competition. It also looks like Nokia might be getting bought out in the near future. Doesn't give users a safe feeling knowing that the largest player in WP8 is on shaky ground.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 928, but I have a 920 and an 810. I've also had many Nokia phones over the years (only phone I've had that wasn't Nokia is an iPhone 4). I want to speak about Nokia in general, not necessarily just their WP8 phones. From my experience, and I've owned their phones since 2002, the build quality has always been excellent. Even when the phones are made from plastic and even when they've been super thin, they always feel substantial, never flimsy. You shouldn't have anything to worry about with your 928.

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
For the guys that had issues with their 928, were they black or white? Not that it would make any difference, but I was just wondering if there was a common theme there...

Zigmono

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'd say about 1 out of every 10 consumers is defective. How that extrapolates into any given consumer issue is for each of us to figure out.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is an amazing thread.

4 928's?

7?

12???

I can not for the life of me imagine that many bad phones in a row. That would push me back to a flip phone. Wow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos