Here Drive+ Beta Troubleshooting

HelloMyNameIsLumia

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I just bought my Lumia 928 yesterday, but two of my most utilized features (when I had the HTC Trophy) are not working, which is really annoying. First would be the lack of group messaging, which I've already read all about, and the second issue would be the HERE Drive+ Beta app. The old Bing Maps never had any issues for me, so it seems like a giant step back to say that I can't even use the new Nokia navigation app. When I use the HERE Drive+ Beta for driving navigation, the starting point will often be several blocks or miles away from where I actually am (even though the HERE maps are accurate). Then, when I start moving, the green arrow does not move at all, so the navigation is essentially useless.

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know of a solution? I have the most updated version.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I just bought my Lumia 928 yesterday, but two of my most utilized features (when I had the HTC Trophy) are not working, which is really annoying. First would be the lack of group messaging, which I've already read all about, and the second issue would be the HERE Drive+ Beta app. The old Bing Maps never had any issues for me, so it seems like a giant step back to say that I can't even use the new Nokia navigation app. When I use the HERE Drive+ Beta for driving navigation, the starting point will often be several blocks or miles away from where I actually am (even though the HERE maps are accurate). Then, when I start moving, the green arrow does not move at all, so the navigation is essentially useless.

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know of a solution? I have the most updated version.

The location is always accurate for me. FWIW, my problem with the app is that at least in Phoenix the directions are laughably bad. They now go to the correct place, which is an improvement over the 822, but will tell me to get off a highway miles from my destination and take surface streets, instead of taking an exit at the destination. I expect the beta will stay in the name a long time so they have cover for their competition for Apple maps.

As a point of reference though, you still can use the old function from your HTC Trophy. They just do not make it obvious. If you search for an address/location and then click on the address to call up a Bing map, instead of choosing drive, there is an option a the bottom of the Bing map to get directions (it is the little directional arrow icon). That starts a version of the old directions program with which you are familiar from the HTC Trophy. Primitive though it may be, it is fast and accurate which is far more than I can say for the Nokia app.

HelloMyNameIsLumia

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that the Bing maps are still there, but now they do not have voice navigation, which was kind of helpful when you were driving to just tap the screen and hear the next direction.
By the way, When I used the HERE Maps, the navigation instructions I got also told me to take an exit several miles early and take back roads. This app really needs a lot of work. I wish gMaps were easier to integrate.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
And you are sure you are using the right settings? It is easy to forget something that you have tested (for example putting shortest route) and when using next time you have "wrong setup".

If you haven't tested different testings before, you should. Just search destination, push destination and before pushing "drive" or "start navigate, you have those 6 logos under the map. Try changing those (for example put shortest) press back button and it searches new route with that setup. See if anything (optimized maybe?) makes the route as you want it.

edit. If you location is off the chart, it means that for some reason GPS is not working. Just soft reset your phone and it should start working (volume down and power). Same works for the glitch when navi guides you all the time to take next exit to right (even if there is no exit).

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't necessarily found the route-finding incredible. It hasn't been noticeably bad, but hasn't been fantastic, either. For instance, it has repeatedly tried to make me go down a closed street. My Trophy used to make me get off of a nearby highway for a mile, taking backroads, confusing me until I realized there was construction putting that highway down to one lane in that area and it was taking me around congestion.

Here Maps doesn't seem to do that. And, maybe it's a coincidence that the Bing ones did - maybe it was being dumb and was doing so in a fortunate location, but I doubt it.

That aside, the interface tends to be quite nice on the Nokia maps.

HelloMyNameIsLumia

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The soft reset worked I think. I don't understand why the gps worked only when Here Drive was not in use, but it works now...

Also found out that the navigation was set to economical rather than fastest, which explains the early exit ramps.

altimax

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any information regarding if Here Drive will get traffic updates and be able to suggest alternate routes when traffic is heavy?

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It's a beta. It's a beta. It's a beta.

There's no traffic integration yet, but it'll be there when it comes out of beta along with a few other things, like enhanced commute smarts -

and it should be out of beta soon (via twitter, May 6th) -

@jenjaman: because HERE Drive has been redesigned from ground up specifically for WP8, soon the beta will be over and it will include traffic.
- Pino at HERE (@haikus)

HelloMyNameIsLumia

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey I know this post is a little outdated, and that Here Drive+ is now out of Beta, but I was wondering what you all thought of Here Drive+ now. It works great for me, but I would make a few changes:
1. When the Navigation voice goes on, all music should be paused, just like in the old Bing Maps navigation.
2. When using my commute and you take a turn differently than the directions given, (this is when the Guidance feature kicks in) I think the navi system should still be giving you directions in some form instead of just completely trusting that you are going a different route rather than that you accidentally made a wrong turn.
3. The navigation voice should say the names of the streets that you are turning on. As it is now, it just says "turn right in 200 feet" instead of "turn right onto _____ street in 200 ft"

Any other suggestions?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey I know this post is a little outdated, and that Here Drive+ is now out of Beta, but I was wondering what you all thought of Here Drive+ now. It works great for me, but I would make a few changes:
1. When the Navigation voice goes on, all music should be paused, just like in the old Bing Maps navigation.
2. When using my commute and you take a turn differently than the directions given, (this is when the Guidance feature kicks in) I think the navi system should still be giving you directions in some form instead of just completely trusting that you are going a different route rather than that you accidentally made a wrong turn.
3. The navigation voice should say the names of the streets that you are turning on. As it is now, it just says "turn right in 200 feet" instead of "turn right onto _____ street in 200 ft"

Any other suggestions?
Access to a list of directions -- or am I overlooking it somewhere??

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Any other suggestions?

I use the default voice, and street names are announced. Not in the format you posted, but like "In 200 feet, turn left onto _____ street."

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

Any other suggestions?

Make sure the voice you're using enables it (it says in the language.) Also, it won't say the name of the street until you're closer, at least for me. So if I'm driving, it'll say "In a half mile turn right", and then as I get closer it'll say "in 200 ft turn right onto ______ street."

One thing that is annoying is sometimes there will be gaps in the route, so the nav will say stupid things like "in 2 miles, keep left" on a road where there isn't a turn off for 10 miles. Resetting fixes it, but it's annoying none-the-less.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy to see North Up as a mode for the map now, as that's my view of preference. I do have a couple of things left on my wish list, though. When you are coming up to your destination, I'd like it to say which side of the street the destination is on, and also say the name or address of the destination, whichever you put in, as well as putting it on the screen. My six year old Garmin does this, and it's handy when you've put in an address, to be able to see it on the screen as you arrive, as well as hear it.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
since the last update I've had a couple issues with weird routing through small towns and the same route gaps, and some highways with names as well getting me go 2 miles continue on highway, then go 3 miles continue on highway..

otherwise it's been way better than gmaps on my old android, and offline maps to boot.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I must be one of the lucky ones who lives in an area where the maps are very good (about an hour NE of Atlanta). I have yet to see it route me somewhere funky.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
since the last update I've had a couple issues with weird routing through small towns and the same route gaps, and some highways with names as well getting me go 2 miles continue on highway, then go 3 miles continue on highway..

otherwise it's been way better than gmaps on my old android, and offline maps to boot.

Yea, I've had that happen a few times. It happens when I leave the app to do something else, like start music, or something like that.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Did you check out the different settings? Like CaptDjob mentioned above, there are a few settings you can play with. I just checked mine and I noticed it was on 'Balanced' Shortest and Fastestare also options. Also I notice on mine that Toll Roads are turned off by default. I live in BFE and don't have any toll roads nearby but for folks in bigger cities, maybe that messes with stuff?

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy to see North Up as a mode for the map now, as that's my view of preference. I do have a couple of things left on my wish list, though. When you are coming up to your destination, I'd like it to say which side of the street the destination is on, and also say the name or address of the destination, whichever you put in, as well as putting it on the screen. My six year old Garmin does this, and it's handy when you've put in an address, to be able to see it on the screen as you arrive, as well as hear it.

Since coming over from one of the dark sides, these are features I also miss from Android's excellent turn-by-turn application. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with what Nokia is doing with Here Drive.

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I've had with Here Drive is at first, it would insist that I take the interstate (expressway/motorway) when traveling from my own modest sized city to the small town where my MIL lives. Once I set my preferences to Shortest rather than Balanced, it routes me using the smaller state highways that I prefer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster