HELP! Lumia 928 Freezes / Locks up multipe time per day.

upsidedown

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 928, about 2 weeks old. I have added a number of apps and now it is locking up multiple times per day. I have not found any consistency. SOmetimes it is sitting on the charge plate, sometimes it is in the car streaming Bluetooth, sometimes there is not anything paused in the background. I can power it on, but I get no reaction from the Lock Screen. Soft reset works every time but then it will freeze up again at some time during the day. I am planning on doing a hard reset to see what happens.

Does anyone think I have a hardware issue, or any other suggestions. Love the phone but am frustrated.

WPButtcheeks

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
My 928 randomly shuts off while not being used and will not respond to anything but a soft reset. Performed a hard reset to see if that remedies the issue. Oh, my Lumia is almost 3 weeks old :/

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The first full day with my 928, it crashed on the phone screen, and then froze up later. Haven't had any problems since then though...

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
On thing you can try is to go to the settings...about....reset your phone. (after backing everything up of course)

You may get the gears going for a long time as other users have seen
I was successful by plugging in, starting the reset process, after 1 hr of gears I reset the phone by holding vol and power button and it booted back up correctly.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
If a reset doesn't work then a replacement would be my next move. Mine has crashed a few times and acted a little funny but besides that all is good.

Castor Troy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset but this time do NOT install any of your apps. Run it "naked" for a FULL day and see if your issues return. If not install a COUPLE of apps and run it for a FULL day once more. Again, if no issues install 2 more. If you do run into an issue, then you know it's one of the 2 apps you just installed causing the problem. If it's a bad app you will find it that way. If it's a hardware/phone issue you will have the problems on Day 1 when you haven't installed any apps

anon(6026526)

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset but this time do NOT install any of your apps. Run it "naked" for a FULL day and see if your issues return. If not install a COUPLE of apps and run it for a FULL day once more. Again, if no issues install 2 more. If you do run into an issue, then you know it's one of the 2 apps you just installed causing the problem. If it's a bad app you will find it that way. If it's a hardware/phone issue you will have the problems on Day 1 when you haven't installed any apps

I tried this and it suddenly started freezing 2 days after the last app was loaded. Unloaded those apps and it still freezes. I *might* try the hard reset one more time but I really believe this is a hardware issue having to do with heat or sunlight. I'm leaning toward the sunlight being the problem. I just turned off automatic brightness to see if it helps. Stay tuned.

felickz

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I tried this and it suddenly started freezing 2 days after the last app was loaded. Unloaded those apps and it still freezes. I *might* try the hard reset one more time but I really believe this is a hardware issue having to do with heat or sunlight. I'm leaning toward the sunlight being the problem. I just turned off automatic brightness to see if it helps. Stay tuned.

When i factory reset mine, the initial boot the screen was frozen (this was after 24 hours of spinning gears, letting battery die, then 20+ resets keep getting the gears until it finally came up to the welcome screen). Put the phone down on a Qi charger, then did a reset and the second time up the screen was responsive.
I did this while at the beach, in AC room (~70deg F), but I image with a rather high humidity. For me i think that 100% ruled out any app issues!

Have been chronicling my adventure with the 928 screen freeze here: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/928-screen-unrespsonsive/td-p/1926018

Last edited:

Cuthbert Inglebert

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
@cereal killer

In other words you want us to become beta testers...................and Nokia told us the beta test was over....................

Nokia no longer makes phones in Finland, they are made by peasants in factories that are made from coconut leaves and mud in 3rd world countries.................what do you expect ?

Ex-Nokian

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
@cereal killer

In other words you want us to become beta testers...................and Nokia told us the beta test was over....................

Nokia no longer makes phones in Finland, they are made by peasants in factories that are made from coconut leaves and mud in 3rd world countries.................what do you expect ?

Ex-Nokian
Just wow. . . . coconut leaves and mud factories??

IPhones made in China; my Droid X was made in China. It's the way of the world -- labor is the most expensive manufacturing component. Therefore it will always flow to the least expensive location.

Perhaps you'd rather pay $800 - $1200 for a SUBSIDIZED phone. . .

anon(6026526)

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I hard reset mine and verified it was a heat issue by leaving it in the sun for about 3-5 minutes. Lock screen frozen! I called Verizon and they sent a replacement and I received it last Thursday. Put it in the sun and...it worked! I guess there's just some bum phones that have this problem. I'm not sure if you were implying sending it to Nokia for repair but Verizon sent me a replacement and I was able to use my phone up to the minute I fired up the replacement with my SIM card.

anon(6026526)

May 24, 2013
Visit site
With amber being nowhere in sight, I am submitting a warranty repair on mine..

Wow, I just wrote a long reply and I'm not sure where it went! Anyway, I did a hard reset and verified it was a heat issue by leaving it in the sun for 3-5 minutes. Verizon sent me a replacement and it works fine even after letting it sit in the for about 10 minutes.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
OK, I had the Lumia 928 for a few days and unexpectedly the lock screen froze and was unresponsive. I had to do multiple soft resets and finally the screen unfroze. I don't think heat was the issue for me. I may have come across something that is worth noting.

I am very detailed on going through all the phone settings and take note of turning things on and off, etc. When I got the phone, I noticed that the "Find My Phone" setting simply had a toggle switch for "ON" or "OFF". When I toggled the switch to ON, it displayed on. When I pressed the back arrow key to return to the settings menu, the text under "Find My Phone" said off, when the setting was actually on (confirmed on by going back into the setting and the toggle switch showed on). I thought this was just a display glitch in the software and didn't think much of it.

I recently updated to the Amber Update and GDR2 update. I thought maybe the Find My Phone setting display would be corrected but it wasn't.

I then decided to do a hard reset wiping all data to see if that would correct the screen freezing. After I did the hard reset, I went to settings and this time, the Find My Phone setting did not have a toggle ON and OFF switch, but had two check boxes sending apps to phone using push notifications and save my phone's location periodically... This was definitely a different Find My Phone setting after a hard reset than when I got the phone out of the box. I also had a stranger lock screen instance - when I swiped up, the froze for a few seconds showing half the screen underneath and flickered pixelated colors for a few moments then unlocked.

Anyway, I went to Verizon explained the screen locking issue and they gave me a replacement phone (within the 14 day policy). When I set up this phone, I went to settings and noticed that the Find My Phone setting was the same as after the hard reset on the previous phone: two check boxes sending apps to phone using push notifications and save my phone's location periodically... NOT the simple toggle ON and OFF switch that did not display correctly!

So, I am going on a limb here and blaming the screen freeze on some bad software installation on my first Lumia 928 phone. The replacement phone has worked flawlessly.

For those of you having the screen locking issue, check your settings and see what your Find My Phone setting options are. If it shows the simple ON / OFF toggle, then maybe this is a potential culprit to this issue.

hope this helps.

tktroma

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I could not find a solution and neither did I get one when went to the Verizon store. I had them send me a replacement, which I just go today, so we will see -

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Did you notice if Find my phone setting had the toggle on off switch? That would indicate some software issue thatmay have contributed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss