CR-200 wireless car dock is a bust!

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Just got my cr-200 car dock today. Unfortunately it does not work with the 928. It charges it but that is all. No NFC (requires a special app that is not available for the 928). No Nokia Car App either (the main reason I purchased it). It is also a tight fit with the Incipio Feather case on the back. I am out $110, I won't trust what a manufacturer tells me again. The 920 will probably work fine with it, but I don't have one to test it. Just thought I would prevent the rest of you from wasting your money.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
That's a shame!! Sorry you got burned. I hope they release a compatible one!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Good news! Just got some help from the Nokia forum. Apparently you must download an app called "accessories" from the app store. It creates another option in settings which allows the 928 to connect through the CR-200 dock with NFC and auto start the car app. It also works with the DT-910 wireless charger. Whew! Sorry to create a false emergency. I just wish Nokia had explained this to me and all of this could have been avoided. At least this is good info for those that want to get the dock. Available at Clove and Mobilefun in the UK. Mobilefun ships much faster. I ordered Tuesday evening and received it today. I will follow up after testing the Car App software tomorrow.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
@tech

Where did you buy it from ? Are you in the UK ? I have been waiting for the CR-200 but I didn't think it was available in the US yet.

Just got my cr-200 car dock today. Unfortunately it does not work with the 928. It charges it but that is all. No NFC (requires a special app that is not available for the 928). No Nokia Car App either (the main reason I purchased it). It is also a tight fit with the Incipio Feather case on the back. I am out $110, I won't trust what a manufacturer tells me again. The 920 will probably work fine with it, but I don't have one to test it. Just thought I would prevent the rest of you from wasting your money.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
He has a case/shell on his that probably makes it so the stand can't press the buttons. I'm curious if it would push the buttons, I hadn't thought of that.

DarkCobra20

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear some of the issues were able to be worked out. I know you said it was a tight fit, but is it one that you have to struggle to get into the dock?

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
i was going to say, what kind of "special app" would it have needed that you assumed was available on the 920 but not the 928. that wouldn't make sense, but glad you figured it out.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a link to the specific "accessories" app?

techgeek, how tough is the fit with the Feather (I have the same case)? Does the wireless charging work through it (both car and desk)?

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for the delay. l have the feather case and it works fine. I don't think the CR-200 would accommodate any case thicker or larger than the Incipio Feather. It does push the camera button initially even with the Feather case on it but you can just close the camera app. The 928 also charges fine with the Nokia Qi chargers (both the flat and the stand, the NFC connect works with the DT-910 stand to initiate the desktop mode as well). I don't find the Car App to be that great really. You can't pull up the phone dialer, only 5 speed dial contacts. Once you exit the home screen like to stream Slacker or another media app it goes away and doesn't return by touching the home button. You must pull up the multi-task window. If you accidentally close it you must remove the phone and repair with NFC. Kind of a pain. Not as robust as Car Home Ultra on Android for example, but still a much better option than using a generic car holder with no app. I don't know if it is worth the $100 + premium for it, but if you drive a lot it might be.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have one on order through Verizon that is coming from the UK which I think is the only country where it has been released. Paid $94 including shipping

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, this does not work so well with a "naked" 928. It clamps down on the camera button and whenever there is vibration camera app launches.

I had bought two, the other for the 822 I have so I tested both phones on the open one before opening the 2nd. It does work great with the 822.

So in short, while u can get software for both its great for the 822 but not so much the 928. Nokia could fix this on the 928 via software by having an option to disable camera button when wireless charging active, or more complicated would be an adapter plate for the cr-200.

Last edited:

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
So, this does not work so well with a "naked" 928. It clamps down on the camera button and whenever there is vibration camera app launches.

Does the pad engage the camera button full on or just partially? I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to trim away some of the pad (to keep it from hitting the button) while still leaving enough to hold the phone securely.

ListeningStone

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The pad engages about half of the camera button. I was able to trim away a small section of the pad with an exacto knife and no more problems. I was also thinking about using my soldering iron at work to melt a small piece of the rubber pad away so it would look a little nicer but I just couldn't wait and trimmed the area instead. I even pushed the arms as tight as I could get them and the pad still did not touch the camera button. I am a happy camper. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo