08-20-2013 04:06 PM
74 123
tools
    Ideally we'd have you reset both a AT&T 920 and a VZW 928, choose to not restore settings to the 920, initiate a group message with some threaded responses and make sure all settings and texts are backed up to the cloud. Then on the 928 when you log in, pull down the cloud backup of the 920.

I only suggest wiping both because I am having problems with MMS on my primary 928 that I restored from an 8x (settings not working properly), but if I pop my SIM into my backup 928, MMS worked once I reset the phone (didn't work when it was restored from the 8x).
    Sorry, not doing that, lol. I use both of these phones and I don't see the point in me doing so. Let's say that it does work--total hypothetical--now what? How does that help anyone? Are we to post a "tip" that hey, you can enabled group messaging on your Lumia 928 IF you also have an active Lumia 920 with group messaging enabled?

That has a very niche audience in mind and I'd rather report if/when group messaging is enabled for everyone on the L928.
    07-09-2013 09:07 AM
    Sorry, not doing that, lol. I use both of these phones and I don't see the point in me doing so. Let's say that it does work--total hypothetical--now what? How does that help anyone? Are we to post a "tip" that hey, you can enabled group messaging on your Lumia 928 IF you also have an active Lumia 920 with group messaging enabled?

That has a very niche audience in mind and I'd rather report if/when group messaging is enabled for everyone on the L928.
    I'm assuming you have a number of Verizon and AT&T or T-Mobile phones lying around, why not try it with two of those you don't really use (L521/L620/L720 and L822/8X)? I understand not wanting to use a daily driver, but it really doesn't take much more effort than swapping a SIM. Plus, some of us have friends with the right phone that wouldn't mind helping.

In my case, I have been in contact with high level tech support at VZW about this and it would be very helpful to be able to tell then I have it working... Unfortunately I let my sister take my L620 or I would have had an answer last night.

Alternatively, if anyone has a spare Lumia (non VZW) and wants to try this with me, pm me and I'm happy to try restoring one of my 928's with a MSFT account we can make for the test.
    07-09-2013 09:19 AM

The irony here is that you are a part of a news site that has a niche audience itself, since the majority of the world doesn't use Windows Phone.... guess we will have to do things ourselves here guys.
    07-09-2013 09:19 AM
    The irony here is that you are a part of a news site that has a niche audience itself, since the majority of the world doesn't use Windows Phone.... guess we will have to do things ourselves here guys.
    Oh, come now. It's a very small minority of WP8 users that have switched from an AT&T WP8 to a VZW WP8. It honestly probably isn't worth his time to investigate this one any more than it already has been. I'm grateful to the OP for letting us know about this loophole for the sole reason that it confirms some theories about why we don't have group text messaging on Verizon WP8's. Daniel doing more research on the connection between back up settings between carriers & group text messaging will not be any more beneficial than what the OP has already shared.

So much sass!
    nufan947 likes this.
    07-09-2013 09:29 AM
    Confirmed, group msg does not work after I reset my phone and start from scratch. All I can receive now is a single message from a single sender although the sender intends to send a group msg.
    07-09-2013 10:20 AM
    Confirmed, group msg does not work after I reset my phone and start from scratch. All I can receive now is a single message from a single sender although the sender intends to send a group msg.
    Why did you do that? :(

I'm sorry for your loss. Welcome to the club of people being screwed over by VZW on group text messaging.
    07-09-2013 10:24 AM
    and you restored settings from the 920 or you just factory reset the phone and that's it?
    07-09-2013 10:47 AM

so why did you post in here again? this was the whole point of the thread lol. you could've just said you misunderstood what was being asked rather than sound all snarky. no one was asking you to check if your phone just started to magically work bc obviously we could've done that ourselves with our own phones.
    07-09-2013 10:50 AM
    You can reset the phone again and use the prior backups. If you wouldn't mind, please try the 920 backup again and see if it works (and maybe a 928 backup from before you reset it).
    07-09-2013 11:03 AM
    Why did you do that? :(

I'm sorry for your loss. Welcome to the club of people being screwed over by VZW on group text messaging.
    It's okay. Once I restored it again with previous backup, the group msg works again.
    07-09-2013 11:15 AM
    You can reset the phone again and use the prior backups. If you wouldn't mind, please try the 920 backup again and see if it works (and maybe a 928 backup from before you reset it).
    Yep, it works. I'm 99% sure that creating a clean backup in Lumia 920 and restore that backup on 928 will do the trick.
    07-09-2013 11:17 AM
    Yep, it works. I'm 99% sure that creating a clean backup in Lumia 920 and restore that backup on 928 will do the trick.
    that's awesome. now to ask a few friends and family of mine who have att wp8s (820 and 920) to let me wipe their phones lmao. now that we know this I wonder if there is a way to exploit this little trick without needing an extra person/device, like if there is another way to access the cloud backup or extract some kind of file of a bare bones 920 backup.
    07-09-2013 11:30 AM
    that's awesome. now to ask a few friends and family of mine who have att wp8s (820 and 920) to let me wipe their phones lmao. now that we know this I wonder if there is another way to exploit this little trick without needing an extra person/device, like if there is another way to access the cloud backup or extract some kind of file of a bare bones 920 backup.
    I don't think it would have to be a 920, would it? Could be any non-Verizon wp8?
    07-09-2013 11:32 AM
    well someone else in here said doing a restore from an 8x to a 928 gave him issues.
    07-09-2013 11:33 AM
    well someone else in here said doing a restore from an 8x to a 928 gave him issues.
    Okay - so maybe any non-Verizon Lumia wp8. A 5/6/7xx variant maybe?
    07-09-2013 11:36 AM
    that's awesome. now to ask a few friends and family of mine who have att wp8s (820 and 920) to let me wipe their phones lmao. now that we know this I wonder if there is a way to exploit this little trick without needing an extra person/device, like if there is another way to access the cloud backup or extract some kind of file of a bare bones 920 backup.
    You could do it, but it would come down to letting someone you know/trust log into their freshly reset non-VZW WP8 with your Microsoft Account.

On a seperate note, is anyone here good at developing programs? It's clearly a registry type setting, and while I know WP8 is restrictive with permissions, VZW has also hidden the ability to edit APN's, but you can still do it with Nokia's access point software. I doubt regular developers have access to the API's that Nokia does, but it's worth looking into. Maybe someone can create a program that triggers it?

Okay - so maybe any non-Verizon Lumia wp8. A 5/6/7xx variant maybe?
    My 8x had a number of problems, and to be fair, it was also a Verizon 8x (so the mms settings were tampered with by VZW). The only problems I've had are picture messaging related.
    07-09-2013 11:46 AM
    correct me if im wrong, but the same way you can access the hidden Bing Maps on a Nokia WP with a simple app download, could accessing a hidden setting like group mms be done the same way? maybe reverse engineering how the backup works as the backup clearly has access to change that hidden setting? and then whatever is learned from that can be made into app form? just brainstorming here as i don't know how to program.
    07-09-2013 12:25 PM
    correct me if im wrong, but the same way you can access the hidden Bing Maps on a Nokia WP with a simple app download, could accessing a hidden setting like group mms be done the same way? maybe reverse engineering how the backup works as thr backup clearly has access to change that hidden setting and whatever is learned from that can be made into app form? just brainstorming here as i don't know how to program.
    Unfortunately not =/
    07-09-2013 12:28 PM
    I have done a restore from my HTC 8x to my 928 and it worked fine. That said, group messaging wasn't working already on the 8x, so obviously that would not work for me :(
    07-09-2013 12:41 PM
    Unfortunately not =/
    Rob, any insight into developing for Windows Phone and what might/might not be allowed with settings?
    07-09-2013 12:51 PM
    Rob, any insight into developing for Windows Phone and what might/might not be allowed with settings?
    Unfortunately, it's not possible. That level of functionality will only be possible by hacking methods. The system does not give any sort of access to settings whatsoever =(

However, it's for very good reasons. You do not want a rogue app disabling your wifi, for example, and then have the user confused and wondering why it was disabled. Security is why this type of stuff isn't allowed.

The only hope is to somehow intercept the settings as they are being downloaded from the backup and the modify the group messaging setting before the phone receives it. Since this is all most likely encrypted, it will probably not be possible to do.

I think there are two choices:
    -Wait for an official fix from Verizon
    -Go to a T-Mobile/AT&T store and kindly ask to use a phone.

10 minutes at the T-Mobile/AT&T store will be worth it to most users who are desperately waiting for group messaging.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    07-09-2013 01:38 PM
    Has anyone played around with Nokia Care Suite / Roms? I wonder if there is a default configuration file (XML or something similar) that we can modify and then re-flash. Likely won't work because of digital signatures, but you never know

Or another idea would be, can you use the developers tools to create a virtual phone and log into it? I'd assume it would have all settings, etc. Likely doesn't get backed up anywhere, but worth a try
    07-09-2013 02:37 PM
    Has anyone played around with Nokia Care Suite / Roms? I wonder if there is a default configuration file (XML or something similar) that we can modify and then re-flash. Likely won't work because of digital signatures, but you never know

Or another idea would be, can you use the developers tools to create a virtual phone and log into it? I'd assume it would have all settings, etc. Likely doesn't get backed up anywhere, but worth a try
    The rom flash won't work because of the signatures. You're right about that.

I believe the development emulator does not support that type of functionality, but that's one thing I'm not 100% sure about. I think that by the time someone figured out a convenient way to take advantage of this trick/method, an official fix from Verizon will be out.

At least, that's what I'm hoping... lol
    07-09-2013 02:46 PM
    The rom flash won't work because of the signatures. You're right about that.

I believe the development emulator does not support that type of functionality, but that's one thing I'm not 100% sure about. I think that by the time someone figured out a convenient way to take advantage of this trick/method, an official fix from Verizon will be out.

At least, that's what I'm hoping... lol
    You're probably right since they are releasing it this month with GDR2, but my curiosity gets the best of me and I want to figure it out.
    07-09-2013 03:04 PM
    You're probably right since they are releasing it this month with GDR2, but my curiosity gets the best of me and I want to figure it out.
    it was confirmed that GDR2 will reimplement group mms?
    07-09-2013 03:08 PM
74 123