08-20-2013 04:06 PM
74 123
tools
    it was confirmed that GDR2 will reimplement group mms?
    there is a long thread about this in the windows phone 8 forum, but long story short, I contacted our high level enterprise support team and they did some research for me in March. At the time they targeted end of June (in conjunction with a software update) and a few weeks into June called me to tell me it was going to happen towards the end of July.

I know thats not "official", but that's what I'm hearing and my contact has spoken with the devs a number of times
    altimax likes this.
    07-09-2013 03:25 PM
    thanks for the info! something to hopefully look forward to as I just got my 928 (yet to be activated) so thankfully (and hopefully) wouldn't have gone too long without it.
    07-09-2013 03:39 PM
    Never tried group messaging on my Lumia 822, but that seems pretty interesting how a backup may potentially restore your locked settings...
    07-10-2013 09:00 AM
    Has anyone tried using a phone in an AT&T store as suggested above? That seems like an easy enough solution if it works.
    07-22-2013 01:49 PM
    so my wife and I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon. We had 920's on AT&T and decided to get the 928 (obvious choice) on Verizon. It just arrived Wednesday and I set up both phones by transferring settings/etc... which surprisingly worked out quite well.

Anyways I just wanted to confirm along with the other few in this thread that my group messaging settings transferred over just fine. I am able to send and receive group messages while all remaining in a single thread (yes I know what group messaging is...)

So after reading this thread, and a few others related, I just couldn't stop laughing at the politics of the this whole debacle.. clearly the device/OS/carrier support this feature! So it was an INTENTIONAL decision to remove this feature, most likely decided by Verizon (what incentive would MS have to remove said feature?).

Again, my group messaging works as intended, and the phone hasn't blown up on me, so i think its safe to say that it's just stupid politics taking place behind the scenes and has absolutely nothing to do with the device/OS/carrier. I saw some crazy explanations from people talking about the cdma/lte network, and other stupid stuff... which most of you have caught on to as nothing more than excuses... clearly this is just some stupid behind the scenes crap between MS/Verizon... I still wonder what made them specifically remove it??? why in the world would Verizon request that???

My final thoughts are this feature will most likely be included/enabled as part of the GDR2/Amber update coming shortly, which often include carrier specific firmware updates as well. If it's not included in that, then I'm sorry but you're all screwed... cause you know it ain't coming at all if that's the case, lol.
    07-26-2013 01:50 PM
    so my wife and I recently switched from AT&T to Verizon. We had 920's on AT&T and decided to get the 928 (obvious choice) on Verizon. It just arrived Wednesday and I set up both phones by transferring settings/etc... which surprisingly worked out quite well.

Anyways I just wanted to confirm along with the other few in this thread that my group messaging settings transferred over just fine. I am able to send and receive group messages while all remaining in a single thread (yes I know what group messaging is...)

So after reading this thread, and a few others related, I just couldn't stop laughing at the politics of the this whole debacle.. clearly the device/OS/carrier support this feature! So it was an INTENTIONAL decision to remove this feature, most likely decided by Verizon (what incentive would MS have to remove said feature?).

Again, my group messaging works as intended, and the phone hasn't blown up on me, so i think its safe to say that it's just stupid politics taking place behind the scenes and has absolutely nothing to do with the device/OS/carrier. I saw some crazy explanations from people talking about the cdma/lte network, and other stupid stuff... which most of you have caught on to as nothing more than excuses... clearly this is just some stupid behind the scenes crap between MS/Verizon... I still wonder what made them specifically remove it??? why in the world would Verizon request that???

My final thoughts are this feature will most likely be included/enabled as part of the GDR2/Amber update coming shortly, which often include carrier specific firmware updates as well. If it's not included in that, then I'm sorry but you're all screwed... cause you know it ain't coming at all if that's the case, lol.
    I see a class action lawsuit coming against Verizon's unfair practices (limiting services to some customers)
    RichHowerton likes this.
    07-26-2013 08:42 PM
    You really don't have any proof Verizon intentionally left out group messaging. They have zero... actually less then zero, reasons to have it left out.

It's just as possible that the 928 contained the proper fixes for group messaging and GDR2 simply contains the "update" that makes the menu option visable. I'd actually find that way more beliveable then some conspiracy to block group messaging on a line of phones with next to nothing marketshare.
    07-29-2013 09:57 AM
    I guess the thing I should have mentioned is my friend has a verizon lumia 822 and loaded his saved settings/backup from a AT&T 8x he briefly had before that. Mind you this was pre-Portico, he had the dang thing working since late December. Why didn't he rush to tell everyone here? Because he assumed it was normal, and had no idea it was disabled on Verizon's WP's. I just talked to him about this the other day and confirmed his worked.

So here's the deal, I have no proof of anything, and I shouldn't be so fast to blame Verizon. With that said, lets look at the facts... this Device (and others on Verizon) clearly supports this feature. The OS clearly supports this feature, and not via an update, but straight out of the box with standard WP8, no GDR1 or GDR2 needed, no firmware update, it has been there since launch FOR Verizon. Finally, the carrier clearly supports this feature, although it is hidden for whatever reason and *may* be updated in the near future (GDR2?).

So basically, somebody, whether MS or Verizon, intentionally chose to block this feature, for whatever reason. Given that we have proven it works as expected and the phone hasn't blown up, I doubt it is related to "performance issues". So as far as I am concerned, somebody Intentionally made the decision to leave this out of Verizon's range of WP's. But as I said before, I shouldn't be so quick to blame Verizon.

also, i never used the word conspiracy... no need to start making me sound like some crazy loon. I was just sounding off on some anonymous message board on a fan friendly WP site about my .02 cents... isn't that what people do on the internet?
    tk-093 likes this.
    07-29-2013 10:40 AM
    One last time: VZW disabled it because it somehow didn't work properly for them at launch. I don't think it's an issue of the phone actually threading the messages, but of it just not playing properly with their network. That said, it would be a simple registry setting (which I can confirm after playing with the registry files) and it will be enabled now that they seemingly fixed it. I got a call from VZW a month and a half ago saying it will be "end of July", but its doubtful GDR2/Amber are released in the next few days, so here is to hoping August
    07-29-2013 10:50 AM
    fair enough, that seems like a plausible and logical reason. I will stop my whining now and carry-on...
    07-29-2013 11:01 AM
    also, i never used the word conspiracy... no need to start making me sound like some crazy loon. I was just sounding off on some anonymous message board on a fan friendly WP site about my .02 cents... isn't that what people do on the internet?
    No worries dude. All my fault. First day back from vacation I'm a little grumpy. I apologize.
    07-29-2013 02:35 PM
    Just wanted to confirm something, as it may help other people in the meantime. When I first set up my Lumia 928, I couldn't retrieve the backup because it was not fully activated (no data, didn't give me the option for WiFi), but after resetting/reformatting it, I was able to bring up a backup from my Lumia 810 I was using up until then. Can't change the settings under Text Messaging settings, but the Group Messaging does work. I'm now curious as to whether these settings will stick when/if I need to reformat it again and pull the 928 backup. I'm assuming they would, but not 100% sure just yet. GDR2 is on the way soon, so hopefully it resolve this issue either way.
    08-15-2013 10:25 AM
    Just wanted to confirm something, as it may help other people in the meantime. When I first set up my Lumia 928, I couldn't retrieve the backup because it was not fully activated (no data, didn't give me the option for WiFi), but after resetting/reformatting it, I was able to bring up a backup from my Lumia 810 I was using up until then. Can't change the settings under Text Messaging settings, but the Group Messaging does work. I'm now curious as to whether these settings will stick when/if I need to reformat it again and pull the 928 backup. I'm assuming they would, but not 100% sure just yet. GDR2 is on the way soon, so hopefully it resolve this issue either way.d
    GDR2 does bring back group messaging for the 928. It works great.
    08-15-2013 10:29 AM
    Just to confirm, it brings back the option to select it under the text message settings? How do you like Amber? Waiting for VZW, don't want to reset my phone. I might cave in and flash it myself, though. I miss the good old Zune days where we could trick it. Ahh, the good old days.
    tk-093 likes this.
    08-15-2013 10:35 AM
    Just wanted to confirm something, as it may help other people in the meantime. When I first set up my Lumia 928, I couldn't retrieve the backup because it was not fully activated (no data, didn't give me the option for WiFi), but after resetting/reformatting it, I was able to bring up a backup from my Lumia 810 I was using up until then. Can't change the settings under Text Messaging settings, but the Group Messaging does work. I'm now curious as to whether these settings will stick when/if I need to reformat it again and pull the 928 backup. I'm assuming they would, but not 100% sure just yet. GDR2 is on the way soon, so hopefully it resolve this issue either way.
    So long as you back up the settings, you are fine. GDR2 brings group message back anyway.

The settings don't actually change, its just a binary switch in the registry whether to show the option to turn it on or off. Verizon disabled it bit has brought it back
    08-15-2013 10:36 AM
    Just to confirm, it brings back the option to select it under the text message settings? How do you like Amber? Waiting for VZW, don't want to reset my phone. I might cave in and flash it myself, though. I miss the good old Zune days where we could trick it. Ahh, the good old days.
    Yep, it brings back that option to enable it. Tested it several times last night and it works well. Amber is cool. The camera seems better and I love the Glance and double tap to wake. I did have to reset my phone, which was a pain, but that's how I roll. Loved the Zune trick too!
    08-15-2013 10:59 AM
    What is the Zune trick?
    08-15-2013 11:03 AM
    Yep, it brings back that option to enable it. Tested it several times last night and it works well. Amber is cool. The camera seems better and I love the Glance and double tap to wake. I did have to reset my phone, which was a pain, but that's how I roll. Loved the Zune trick too!
    Does it have the "Peek" feature for Glance? Saw a screencap earlier and it wasn't listed...but maybe that person hadn't updated the Display/Touch settings/app?

<--wants to do the Jedi wave over his phone
    08-15-2013 11:05 AM
    What is the Zune trick?
    On WP7 you had to update via Zune. Well you could plug your WP7 phone into your computer and tell it to search for updates and right when you did that if you yanked the ethernet cord out of your computer it would somehow trigger Zune to tell you there was an update. I used that to update my wife's Trophy before Verizon officially started to push it.
    08-15-2013 11:12 AM
    Does it have the "Peek" feature for Glance? Saw a screencap earlier and it wasn't listed...but maybe that person hadn't updated the Display/Touch settings/app?

<--wants to do the Jedi wave over his phone
    No, I don't have the peek option. Interesting.....
    08-15-2013 11:14 AM
    No, I don't have the peek option. Interesting.....
    Sometimes I hate Verizon, I really do.
    08-15-2013 11:31 AM
    What???

I mean, it's not too big of an issue, but wtf Verizon?

I was watching a video on the feature the other day, and I was excited to try it out.
    08-15-2013 11:34 AM
    What???

I mean, it's not too big of an issue, but wtf Verizon?

I was watching a video on the feature the other day, and I was excited to try it out.
    This was probably the one feature I was most excited about -- hardly text, FM radio is nice but not something I use a lot, etc etc, but this is one of those "get someone's attention and interest them in WP" features.

Edit: the OTA includes it! But no FM radio :/
    Last edited by psiu_glen; 08-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    08-15-2013 11:45 AM
    Any idea if there is a way to name a group message thread? For example, instead of it saying "6 recipients" where the contact name is on a normal SMS, is there a way to change that so you can keep your group threads in order?
    08-20-2013 04:06 PM
74 123