Group Msg works fine on Lumia 928

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I did notice that the group messaging option is missing on the first day I got my Lumia 928. I used to have Lumia 920 on AT&T and I'm 100% sure that there is a group messaging option.

However, the group messaging function still works fine for me. I can send one msg to multiple people and all their replies come back in that same dialogue thread. Everything in terms of group messaging works exactly the same as Lumia 920 does.

wp_ss_20130708_0001.jpgwp_ss_20130708_0002.pngwp_ss_20130708_0003.png

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Except you're wrong.

When a contact creates a group message and sends it, if you're in the list you get a message from a single sender. Furthermore, when anyone on the group message replies to all. That ALSO comes through as a singular message.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Except you're wrong.

When a contact creates a group message and sends it, if you're in the list you get a message from a single sender. Furthermore, when anyone on the group message replies to all. That ALSO comes through as a singular message.

Those screenshots say otherwise... That looks like normal group text messaging on a non-VZW WP8. I'm really not certain what's going on there...

Also, please don't be rude. The OP is simply posting an observation.

Last edited:

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Except you're wrong.

I don't understand what you mean. When I receive any group message, there are always multiple receivers in that message and everybody's reply will stay within that message.

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean. When I receive any group message, there are always multiple receivers in that message and everybody's reply will stay within that message.

Can you post screenshots of your "About" page in settings? I'd be interested to see if you have update firmware or something along those lines? Also, have you done anything to the phone other than changing the language?

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Can you post screenshots of your "About" page in settings? I'd be interested to see if you have update firmware or something along those lines? Also, have you done anything to the phone other than changing the language?

I didn't change the language, just added another input methods.
The About screenshot:wp_ss_20130708_0004.png

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I didn't change the language, just added another input methods.
The About screenshot:View attachment 37114

Thanks, it appears as though you have the same software/firmware versions as I do (which i got on launch day). Unfortunately my MMS is currently disabled through work, so I can't test different scenarios. Is there any chance those are facebook / other social networking messages and not threaded text/MMS messages?

Also, any idea if you've played around with Nokia Access Point and changed the settings? I imagine that might do it

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, it appears as though you have the same software/firmware versions as I do (which i got on launch day). Unfortunately my MMS is currently disabled through work, so I can't test different scenarios. Is there any chance those are facebook / other social networking messages and not threaded text/MMS messages?

Also, any idea if you've played around with Nokia Access Point and changed the settings? I imagine that might do it

These are all text messages. And I have quite a few of them if you want to see more. And they all work normally like standard group messages.

My theory is, there is actually a group messaging option which is hidden right now by Verizon. And since I have a Lumia 920 before and I restored all settings on my 928 using the 920 backups, that hidden option also got restored to Enabled. All the "security" or "compatibility" issues stated by Verizon are just crap. They want to promote some group msg app of their own for sure.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
These are all text messages. And I have quite a few of them if you want to see more. And they all work normally like standard group messages.

My theory is, there is actually a group messaging option which is hidden right now by Verizon. And since I have a Lumia 920 before and I restored all settings on my 928 using the 920 backups, that hidden option also got restored to Enabled. All the "security" or "compatibility" issues stated by Verizon are just crap. They want to promote some group msg app of their own for sure.

Interesting, how long have you had the 928? It looks like you're using it on Verizon, have you used it on any other carriers?

I actually have two 928s now, and am thinking of flashing a generic 920 imagine instead of the 928's to see if i can get it to work on Verizon (likely won't work on CDMA, may work on LTE). I'm not sure how similar the internals are, but other than the radio and flash I think its the same (and i think the radio is controlled by the baseband). My sister is using a 620 I flashed to generic global variant for the next few weeks while she is abroad, so once she gets back I will try setting up my account on it and then restoring the 928 settings from the 620 to try and trigger the threaded messages.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

This is a brilliant theory. Purely brilliant.

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, how long have you had the 928? It looks like you're using it on Verizon, have you used it on any other carriers?

I actually have two 928s now, and am thinking of flashing a generic 920 imagine instead of the 928's to see if i can get it to work on Verizon (likely won't work on CDMA, may work on LTE). I'm not sure how similar the internals are, but other than the radio and flash I think its the same (and i think the radio is controlled by the baseband). My sister is using a 620 I flashed to generic global variant for the next few weeks while she is abroad, so once she gets back I will try setting up my account on it and then restoring the 928 settings from the 620 to try and trigger the threaded messages.

I've had this one since May. 28th. Never used it on any other carriers other than Verizon. And the group msg function works well since day 1, both with restored previous group msg and newly initiated ones. I want to flash my Lumia 928 to a generic firmware too but I really don't want to lose the CDMA compatibility.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
what do you mean you restored your 928 with 920 backups? how does one do that? any way for all of us to faux replicate this process just to fool the phone to toggle the group messaging on?

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
or, the way Bing maps is hidden on a Nokia WP but can still be accessed via a simple app download from the app store, would there be a way for someone to make a simple app that lets us toggle a hidden feature like group txt mms, same as the Bing maps download from the app store? seems like maybe one of the two solutions in my last two posts could be possible. idk the process of restoring a phone from a backup, but if the backing up process generates some kind of file you then use to restore settings on the phone, could someone essentially upload somewhere a backup from a factory reset 920 that had nothing altered other than the group mms setting toggled on from which we could all use to fool the phone to turn on group mms since we obviously can't see it in the messaging settings as verizon has it hidden?

Last edited:

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok, how do we flag this to the WPCentral authors to investigate this further as a possible fix/mod/hack/fake/whatever? I'm really curious as to whether or not this is a situation that can be duplicated.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
what do you mean you restored your 928 with 920 backups? how does one do that? any way for all of us to faux replicate this process just to fool the phone to toggle the group messaging on?

When you sign in to a new phone it asks if you want to restore from a backup or start from scratch. If you restore, it pulls down all the settings and app lists to the phone.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Except you're wrong.

So I'll try again with this tomorrow, but when I tried a few days ago on reports that this was "fixed" I experienced what is described above, exactly.

That is, I did not get responses in a single thread but instead as separate, unique messages...not grouped :/

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
So I'll try again with this tomorrow, but when I tried a few days ago on reports that this was "fixed" I experienced what is described above, exactly.

That is, I did not get responses in a single thread but instead as separate, unique messages...not grouped :/

Thank you Daniel, this is probably my biggest gripe when having to explain my phone to the "iPhone friends" in my social circle. Really looking forward to Verizon (or anyone for that matter) fixing this group messaging nonsense they've put onto us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb