Does wireless charging work even with case on the phone?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
While I don't own a 928, I do have a Lumia 822 and it charges fine wirelessly with a case on it. I have used two different cases without issue and a friend has an 822 in an Otterbox Defender case that also works fine.

Last edited:

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine does with the rubber case that Verizon sells.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk. (Spell check done after hitting send.)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've got an incipio case with a dual (soft silicone with hard plastic snap on) case on it and have had no issues with charging.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It works not only through my case (was using day-one Verizon case until today - now Poetic Atmosphere), but in addition to that, through the wood in my monitor stand at work. I built a monitor stand for my two monitors out of 2x4s (on the sides, to raise up, as the "legs"), and 1x8 (for the top). On the underside, I routed out a section with a keyhole bit, and I can slide my charger into the slot created. The phone charges through the approx 1/8 - 3/16" of wood and the case, together.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging works through magnetic induction. Magnetic.... therefore magnets. If the material doesn't affect magnetism, then it doesn't affect wireless charging. Metals will mess with it, but materials that aren't magnetic, like wood, rubber, or plastic, will be fine.

What does affect wireless charging is distance. If the distance between the phone and the charger is too great, the phone will not charge. Yay science! :)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging works with every single case unless for some god awful reason you found a case that has more than a half inch backside to it! It doesn't matter what you have between your phone and charger (with the exception of certain metals), if it is within a half inch, it will charge!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging works through magnetic induction. Magnetic.... therefore magnets. If the material doesn't affect magnetism, then it doesn't affect wireless charging. Metals will mess with it, but materials that aren't magnetic, like wood, rubber, or plastic, will be fine.

What does affect wireless charging is distance. If the distance between the phone and the charger is too great, the phone will not charge. Yay science! :)

Not magnets, but magnetic field induced using inductance of a coil. :wink: Yah, science!

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

The material doesn't have to be magnetic to interfere. All it has to do is be a conductor. As an obvious example, a piece of aluminum will mess it up and that's likely why the HTC One doesn't have Qi charging. It can't with an aluminum back. Also certain colorants in plastics will interfere. The pad would simply induce a current in the back, turning the power into heat. Not exactly what you want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital