Was loving 928, now getting discouraged

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The first couple weeks with my 928 I was loving it. But now having used it everyday for almost a month I have discovered a few issues. And both are problems you would think Microsoft could fix easily. (these are aside from the non-separate volume controls and "other storage")

First the phone will not charge from the USB port on my aftermarket stereo. Im not expecting full compatability like iphone or android as I know the companies arent writing any code for WP8. But I would expect it charge and it does not.

Also, when bluetooth is on in my car and Im not streaming bluetooth audio, IE just listening to the radio, ALL audible alerts are silent. The only way I here a phone call ring in or here a text chime is if Im blutooth streaming. VERY annoying(or turn bluetooth off). Now, when streaming BT audio the alerts chime through the stereo which is cool. But you would think WP8 would be smart enough to know when Im on radio/cd/or streaming. Every other android phone or iphone Ive owned had no issue with this.

I love my 928 form, and love the nokia drive and maps, and LOVE the WP8 os. But I really hope the fix some of these little issues soon or I may have to go back to android.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea I feel you on the bluetooth because my 920 does the same. I think all WP are like that it did the same with my OG Focus. I hate listening to music the BAM interrupted by voice alert....I have not used in my car in a while but I think if you silence it then it wont interrupt except for calls, then again what would be the point because you wont be alerted when you do get a new message. Maybe there is a feedback place that we can notify MSFT about this and hope they change it.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You would think these little things would get fixed. Im not a smartphone newbie, Ive hacked, jailbroken, and rooted every phone Ive owned. And in many cases little things like this can be fixed. So it baffles me that microsoft cant get a handle on some of these small issues that may cause them to lose users.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The BT issue you are describing is the head-unit, not the phone. My car unit displays phone calls/texts/etc regardless of what source I'm using. The USB issue. Again, that has to be an issue with the device. A USB port should be able to provide power regardless of whether it interaces with the device. I would suggest trying a differnet cable.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
First the phone will not charge from the USB port on my aftermarket stereo. Im not expecting full compatability like iphone or android as I know the companies arent writing any code for WP8. But I would expect it charge and it does not.

To be fair, that is just as likely to be the stereo at fault.

Id wager the problem is one of the 2 following things....

1. The Car Stereo only supports (the standard) 0.5a USB Output (almost every phone these days requires at least 1a these days).
2. The phone is identifying itself to the stereo, as something the stereo doesn't recognise.

I've had a similar issue with my Alpine, and the 0.5a seems to stop a number of things i have from charging.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, that is just as likely to be the stereo at fault.

Id wager the problem is one of the 2 following things....

1. The Car Stereo only supports (the standard) 0.5a USB Output (almost every phone these days requires at least 1a these days).
2. The phone is identifying itself to the stereo, as something the stereo doesn't recognise.

I've had a similar issue with my Alpine, and the 0.5a seems to stop a number of things i have from charging.

As Im in the aftermarket car audio community (and have been for some 20 years) I can tell you that the stereo supports 1a charging. In fact I can plug a 50 gig hard drive into it with no problem and it will drive it. Again, I dont care if it isnt fully compatable as I know WP8 isnt supported. But I see no reason for it not charging. The radio will recognize it and connect to it fully. All the bluetooth functions work for phone calls and texts. And if im bluetooth streaming the phone will even read the texts to me and I can reply totally hands free. But as soon as I turn to another source its as if the phone stays stuck in bluetooth mode and all the audio is muted. Kinda like playing a cassette tape and you push the source on your receiver to CD, the cassette player will keep playing unless you push stop.

Last edited:

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I just type a whole response and it vanished. Lol!

Short and sweet:

The radio supports 1a charging.
The stereo FULLY recognizes the phone (even has the model of the stereo listed), all the bluetooth functions work when streaming bluetooth, voice control, it will read texts to and I can respond.
The phone does not seem to realize when I switch sources I want my notifications to still ring through. EVERY other phone Ive ever owned knew how to do this.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Also, when bluetooth is on in my car and Im not streaming bluetooth audio, IE just listening to the radio, ALL audible alerts are silent. The only way I here a phone call ring in or here a text chime is if Im blutooth streaming. VERY annoying(or turn bluetooth off). Now, when streaming BT audio the alerts chime through the stereo which is cool. But you would think WP8 would be smart enough to know when Im on radio/cd/or streaming. Every other android phone or iphone Ive owned had no issue with this.

I have this same issue with my iphone 4s ,except I hear the calls because it rings through the stereo, but all other alerts are silent. So I don't think it's just related to WP8 or the 928

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about your BT issue. Mine has worked flawlessly with UConnect in my Jeep. The only thing I have had an issue with is Here drive being distorted but I think that's because its still in beta. I understand yours is an aftermarket head unit so do that could have something to do with it.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
As Im in the aftermarket car audio community (and have been for some 20 years) I can tell you that the stereo supports 1a charging. In fact I can plug a 50 gig hard drive into it with no problem and it will drive it. Again, I dont care if it isnt fully compatable as I know WP8 isnt supported. But I see no reason for it not charging. The radio will recognize it and connect to it fully. All the bluetooth functions work for phone calls and texts. And if im bluetooth streaming the phone will even read the texts to me and I can reply totally hands free. But as soon as I turn to another source its as if the phone stays stuck in bluetooth mode and all the audio is muted. Kinda like playing a cassette tape and you push the source on your receiver to CD, the cassette player will keep playing unless you push stop.

Unfortunately, this proves nothing. Most, if not all, 2.5" hard drives (and most data transferring devices) use the standard USB power requirements, which is 100mA per unit, up to 500mA for one port. The only things I have seen that output 1A power output are wall plugs and some car chargers, so I'll need to see the specs for the stereo before I believe it outputs 1A. That said, many devices won't pull the full 1A if connected to a data source, regardless of if the source can spit it out. Some Android phones, for example, have custom kernels where you can trick the device into using high amp charging when plugged into computers and stuff, but data transfer doesn't work when it's enabled.

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows Phone is the same, and it's not something I see MS rushing to change. It's a device protection and data integrity measure, if something goes wrong with data flow (higher current can interfere with data transfer), it can brick your phone... which sucks. Also, different devices will have different minimum levels of current before the phone starts charging, so it's very likely the Lumia 928's minimum is higher than other phones'. I don't know if they have 'em for cell phones, but some devices come with USB cables that allow you to use 2 ports to make sure the drive has enough juice to run properly if your computer's USB power output is low. Might want to look into those.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I see. I didnt realize every post was scanned.

They aren't. Until you reach a certain post count, they await moderation. This is a filter to catch spammers who create multiple accounts for posting illegal links and such. A normal user is approved as soon as possible.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I have a 2010 Acura TSX and I have no problem receiving calls or texts through my Bluetooth. I do, however, have the same problem with my USB not charging my phone, nor can I play music through this USB input. With my iPhone 4, I was able to play music through the USB, but I had intermittent problems with it. I never knew if the problem was the phone or the car and never looked into it, because the Bluetooth worked just fine. With my 928, I get nothing.
Otherwise, love my 928. Was blown away the 1st time it read a text to me while driving!

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You might need a "USB charge cable". It's a standard cable except the data pins are shorted together, which tells the phone it's okay to draw high current from the source. I had to make one for my car in order to charge off the USB port on my bluetooth add-on thingy that plugs into the lighter socket. Haven't tried it with a Nokia WP phone but you may be having the same issue.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, this proves nothing. Most, if not all, 2.5" hard drives (and most data transferring devices) use the standard USB power requirements, which is 100mA per unit, up to 500mA for one port. The only things I have seen that output 1A power output are wall plugs and some car chargers, so I'll need to see the specs for the stereo before I believe it outputs 1A. That said, many devices won't pull the full 1A if connected to a data source, regardless of if the source can spit it out. Some Android phones, for example, have custom kernels where you can trick the device into using high amp charging when plugged into computers and stuff, but data transfer doesn't work when it's enabled.

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows Phone is the same, and it's not something I see MS rushing to change. It's a device protection and data integrity measure, if something goes wrong with data flow (higher current can interfere with data transfer), it can brick your phone... which sucks. Also, different devices will have different minimum levels of current before the phone starts charging, so it's very likely the Lumia 928's minimum is higher than other phones'. I don't know if they have 'em for cell phones, but some devices come with USB cables that allow you to use 2 ports to make sure the drive has enough juice to run properly if your computer's USB power output is low. Might want to look into those.

Kenwood has supported 1a charging for a couple years now, ever since apple went to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb