Was loving 928, now getting discouraged

bluetrout

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same lack of charging on stereo issue. Was really surprised it wouldn't charge because, as you say, it would be understandable not to support functionality but charging should be automatic. Works fine with a simple plugin lighter charger, but same cable plugged into the stereo: nothing.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
The first couple weeks with my 928 I was loving it. But now having used it everyday for almost a month I have discovered a few issues. And both are problems you would think Microsoft could fix easily. (these are aside from the non-separate volume controls and "other storage")

First the phone will not charge from the USB port on my aftermarket stereo. Im not expecting full compatability like iphone or android as I know the companies arent writing any code for WP8. But I would expect it charge and it does not.

Also, when bluetooth is on in my car and Im not streaming bluetooth audio, IE just listening to the radio, ALL audible alerts are silent. The only way I here a phone call ring in or here a text chime is if Im blutooth streaming. VERY annoying(or turn bluetooth off). Now, when streaming BT audio the alerts chime through the stereo which is cool. But you would think WP8 would be smart enough to know when Im on radio/cd/or streaming. Every other android phone or iphone Ive owned had no issue with this.

I love my 928 form, and love the nokia drive and maps, and LOVE the WP8 os. But I really hope the fix some of these little issues soon or I may have to go back to android.

I must say those are pretty weak arguments to switch back to Android.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Published specs aside, it wouldn't surprise me if the stereo's USB port will only charge something like an MP3 player. Phones typically require more power.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is the exact opposite of what I've experienced. My GF's KIA USB port would not charge our HTC Arrives, but it does charge our 928's. Also, the Bluetooth works much better. Occasionally with the arrive we would have to delete the phone and re-sync, with the 928, it never needs this done. If we get a call/text it comes up on the dash, and we can ignore, answer, etc as we want.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I must say those are pretty weak arguments to switch back to Android.

Its a big inconveince. Also when listening to the radio or cd or ipod and using the nokia nav app, no turn by turn can be heard. Very annoying. If I turn bluetooth off the the turn by turn can be heard trough the phones speaker. But, if Im bluetooth streaming from the phone it all work. Its a BIG oversight on microsofts part. So now to use my nav app i have to turn off bluetooth and plug the phone in to an addition cable so it stays charged. Annoying.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This is the exact opposite of what I've experienced. My GF's KIA USB port would not charge our HTC Arrives, but it does charge our 928's. Also, the Bluetooth works much better. Occasionally with the arrive we would have to delete the phone and re-sync, with the 928, it never needs this done. If we get a call/text it comes up on the dash, and we can ignore, answer, etc as we want.

MobileVortex, which KIA does your GF have? I have a 2012 KIA Optima with the Tech package and when I get a text, it will read it to me, but not show it on the screen. Also, it will only read it IF I am actively streaming from my 928. If I am listening to any other source, it will not do this. Also, if I try to respond via voice, the headunit will not hear me even though I am connected to the KIA. Darn frustrating!

To the OP, I don't think the issue is with your 928. I know for my KIA, it specifically states in the manual that the AUX port was not designed to charge a device. It was only designed to connect to a device. It is rated at .5A.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Its a big inconveince. Also when listening to the radio or cd or ipod and using the nokia nav app, no turn by turn can be heard.

That's an issue with your radio IMO. The factory radio in my Jeep does the exact same thing. If I'm not on the BT input on the radio I get no nav directions if BT is on and the phone is connected. Calls go through but nothing else.

larrymcj

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Fully understand, Calvin...but these issues (unfortunately) are user-related to some degree. My 928 works flawlessly in my car, in fact better than my iPhone 5 did. Some features I didn't even realize, like yesterday my wife sent me a text and the system said "Text Message from Brenda...read it?" I said "yes" and at the end it said "Reply?" I did, then followed the prompt to send it and never took my eyes off the road. I would have never done this while driving, but wanted to check out the new feature.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but I consider them minor in respect to how nice the phone is. Now, if enough people will just request Speck Products to make a CandyShell Grip case for it (like they have for the 920) all will be good. If anyone would like to vote for them to make this case: https://speckproducts.uservoice.com...stions/3952117-candy-shell-grip-for-lumia-928

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Fully understand, Calvin...but these issues (unfortunately) are user-related to some degree. My 928 works flawlessly in my car, in fact better than my iPhone 5 did. Some features I didn't even realize, like yesterday my wife sent me a text and the system said "Text Message from Brenda...read it?" I said "yes" and at the end it said "Reply?" I did, then followed the prompt to send it and never took my eyes off the road. I would have never done this while driving, but wanted to check out the new feature.

There are a few things I don't like about it, but I consider them minor in respect to how nice the phone is. Now, if enough people will just request Speck Products to make a CandyShell Grip case for it (like they have for the 920) all will be good. If anyone would like to vote for them to make this case: https://speckproducts.uservoice.com...stions/3952117-candy-shell-grip-for-lumia-928

Offtopic: Thanks for the heads up. I voted. Maybe post this in the accessories thread too of you haven't already.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
MobileVortex, which KIA does your GF have? I have a 2012 KIA Optima with the Tech package and when I get a text, it will read it to me, but not show it on the screen. Also, it will only read it IF I am actively streaming from my 928. If I am listening to any other source, it will not do this. Also, if I try to respond via voice, the headunit will not hear me even though I am connected to the KIA. Darn frustrating!

To the OP, I don't think the issue is with your 928. I know for my KIA, it specifically states in the manual that the AUX port was not designed to charge a device. It was only designed to connect to a device. It is rated at .5A.

She has a 2013 KIA RIO. I guess i miss spoke it doesnt show the text on the screen, it shows the contact it came from and will read it but it does not display the text of the msg on the screen. As far as the voice goes it works just fine. I also did update the firmware back in FEB-MAR to try and fix the problems we were having with the arrive. It seemed to make it better, but the problems were still there. I was surprised to see that the USB port did charge the phone, or at least it showed the charging symbol on the battery when plugged in. If its rated at .5A i wouldnt use at as a charger anyway. I have a DC-AC inverter i use for that anyway.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
That's an issue with your radio IMO. The factory radio in my Jeep does the exact same thing. If I'm not on the BT input on the radio I get no nav directions if BT is on and the phone is connected. Calls go through but nothing else.

But every phone i tried that isnt WP8 works? Nah, sorry, its in the software.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This issue is car-dependent. When I rent new cars like the Ford Focus that support BT streaming of music, I experience the same issue that you do - i.e. my 920 wants to send all alert sounds through BT streaming music, so if the car is not playing BT streaming music, I don't hear the alert.

HOWEVER, on an older BMW car (2009) that DOES have BT phone support, but does NOT support BT music streaming, the 920 works exactly as you would like. I.e. it will make and receive BT phone calls and sends the ring signal to the car, but it also will play the alert sounds directly from the phone and not across BT.

I'm wondering if this is a WP8 issue, or if it's an issue of BT implementation. I don't know if other phones (e.g. iOS) do the same thing.

My guess is that this is an issue on the car end. I.e. if the phone is connect to play BT music, it may have no way of knowing if the car audio system is actually playing that stream or not. So if it is connected it simply assumes that it is playing....

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The radio supports 1a charging.

If that means "USB 1.0a", that is not the same as USB 2.0. May not have enough power to charge.

Note that whenever I rent a Ford Focus or similar, and plug an iPhone into it's USB outlet (with the Apple cable), it also will not charge the device (it continually connects and disconnects the USB port) - this also happens with my 920 on the Nokia USB cable. I don't know why Ford would have a USB port that is not compatible with phones, but it does....

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I discovered this as well. I've got an aftermaket Kenwood head and it surprised me with the voice notification of a text when I was streaming music via BT. That worked pretty good. However I have to speak into the phone itself as the mic I have installed won't work with the 928 like it did with the iPhone. So much for "hands free" I guess. I also can't charge the phone through the usb which is rather irritating. In this respect the 928 has not worked as well as an iPhone. I don't even connect via BT anymore as I'm back to using my iPod for music in the rig. :(

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I would have to assume most if not all of this will be fixed when BT 4.0 is released. Which i have to assume will be withing the next 8 weeks.

SheHateMeBad

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Agree 100%. Nokia/MS needed to hit a home run to break into the Apple/Samsung duopoly. Unfortunately (REALLY, because I love my 920, which could easily have been a really, really great phone), there are simply too many annoying / missing things on it to make it worth staying with this brand. I'll put up with it for the terms of my contract, since it is (mostly) functional, but then I'm afraid it's back to good ole Samsung. The amazing thing about it is, as you say, these are things that it seems to me could be easily fixed, or better yet, designed in from the beginning. The person that signed off on selling this phone 'as is' should be fired.

Note to Nokia / MS: I fully understand that you can't please everybody, and I also understand that it's probably impossible to create the perfect device, but if you are #3, and by a vast margin, 'good enough' just won't cut it. You really have to OUTPERFORM. Android and IOS just have too big of a lead, and you have insured that things will stay that way. ..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett