How rugged?

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Looking at moving to Verizon (from Sprint) and getting a couple of 928s. Since I work a desk job, I've never even had so much as a scratch on a phone, but my wife is a different matter. She carries her phone around in her back pocket (women's jeans have tiny front pockets) and sets it on tables and counters where it occasionally gets knocked onto hardwood or laminate floors. When she does put the phone in her purse, it goes in the same pocket as her keys and wallet (with metal snap/zipper).

We've always gotten her a case and screen protector, in the past, but protective cases tend to add a bit of bulk. The 928 looks and feels pretty solid, so I'm wondering if the case is really necessary to protect against some minor banging around. Any thoughts? Also, is Gorilla Glass tough enough that it'll withstand some incidental scraping without much wear or should we invest in a screen protector?

MikeInOhio

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The Gorilla Glass is strong but that does not mean they are indestructible. I happened to drop mine and it hit a stair on the side (right by the power button) and the screen shattered. If you do not like the bulk of a case I would recommend damage insurance at a minimum.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Mike. I dropped mine, landed on concrete steps, on the edge of the step, shattered. If you're going to let it go naked, go to the Microsoft Store and buy it, and get the MS Assure, instead of Verizon's insurance.
MS Assure - one-time cost of $99 for two years.
Verizon - monthly $8 ($192 for two years)
MS deductible - $50
Verizon deductible - $100
MS - walk into the store, hand them broken phone, hand them $50, they take a new phone out of a box and hand it to you.
Verizon (last time I used them, anyway - long time ago) - call third party, place claim, they send refurbished phone, you send back broken phone.

Lower total cost, lower deductible, and if you walk into the store, you'll walk out with a brand new device instead of a refurb.

And yes, I've already tested this - my current 928 is only 11 days old.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Mike. I dropped mine, landed on concrete steps, on the edge of the step, shattered. If you're going to let it go naked, go to the Microsoft Store and buy it, and get the MS Assure, instead of Verizon's insurance.
MS deductible - $50
MS - walk into the store, hand them broken phone, hand them $50, they take a new phone out of a box and hand it to you.
Verizon (last time I used them, anyway - long time ago) - call third party, place claim, they send refurbished phone, you send back broken phone.

Lower total cost, lower deductible, and if you walk into the store, you'll walk out with a brand new device instead of a refurb.

^ This and most of the time the refurb they send you has it own set of problems.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
They sent me 3 brand new phones until i was happy with the one I got.
My wife loved her Arrive -- until she dropped it in coffee (I wasn't there, don't know). I think we were on the fifth replacement when we actually just lost it. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to track a constantly cycling device for weeks at a time. We decided it wasn't worth another $100, so she ended up going back to her Epic (oh, how we both hated that phone) until I'm out of contract.

This was the first phone in the 15 years we've both carried one that actually broke while on contract, so we've decided to not bother with warranty. We've paid over $1000 for the privilege of paying $100 to buy a marginally functional used phone to replace a phone that's $200 on eBay.

If Amazon didn't sell the 928 for $70 less than MS or it was just one phone, I might consider going through their store. But, that's a net of almost $340 for both devices ($70 for each unit + $100 for protection) -- well over half of the off contract price for one phone. If we need to replace both during a 2-year span, something is seriously wrong.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
MS deductible - $50

if I buy a used phone off eBay can I got to a Microsoft store and add their insurance to it?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Tapatalk

speedtrap63

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just checked the MS store online and they now use a third party for device replacement, $6.99 monthly or $79.99 yearly with $0 deductible. You have to submit a Request for Service to Mobile Device Protection Association. Doesn't say anything about going to an MS brick and mortar store, so I can't speak to that, but buying online from MS this is your only choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise