New 928 user, some initial questions

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone! I posted on here a couple of weeks ago to help decide on a smartphone, and finally, I have my first smartphone, purchased through Amazon (which wasn't as hard to do as I thought it would be). I played around with a Lumia 928 last weekend in the Verizon store and I loved the fit and finish. I feels top quality, and the curvature of the screen and back feels wonderful! The interface is easy to use, and I was surprised how right away everything I use on Windows 8 immediately synched to the phone upon signing in with my Microsoft Account. My Calendar (which has my Google Calendar ported to it, so I get both in one package), contacts, and Skydrive. Even the People app synched my contacts to Facebook and twitter accounts right away once I signed into both. I even used it extensively today to look up information in a AAA store and figure out the cost of a vacation.

One initial disappointment was that Swapchat is no longer available. I'm not as indulged in social apps as some people, but snapchat is the lone missing app. I guess Bluestacks on my Laptop will have to continue to suffice. On another note, unofficial apps like Instance, 6sec, and 4th and Mayor are very well done and give me hope for the future of this app ecosystem. I went ahead and downloaded apps that I felt would be useful on any smartphone, such as Battery, Flashlight-X, Youtube, and several others.

I use 3 email accounts fairly regularly. A POP Verizon e-mail is my primary, and it synched no problem. Same goes for the Yahoo! Mail account that my Microsoft Account is based on. However, I'm having trouble getting my college's Microsoft Exchange e-mail to sync at all. It states that my account information is incorrect, but I just used the exact information to access my e-mail from IE10 on my computer, so that can't be it. Any ideas?

As stated before, I have Windows 8 on my laptop and have had an Xbox for about 5 years now. I have played Xbox games such as Jetpack Joyride and Shuffle Party on my laptop and have enjoyed them. However, when I downloaded them to my 928, even though the same Gamertag is in use with the same achievements unlocked in both games, the games both play as if I've never played them before. I was hoping to pick up where I left off on my computer, and play them on both platforms effortlessly. Halo Waypoint is also not functioning at all for my account. This problem is one thing, but I own every Halo game to date and want Spartan Assault, but if I buy it on my Windows 8 laptop will it be available for free on my phone with the same level of completion?

Finally, I've noticed that for whatever reason I cannot attach photos to any message sent to any contact using the standard messaging app. Text messaging is working just fine, and I'm liking the keyboard very much (coming from a slideout Qwerty keyboard phone, that's a lot to say). I think this may be a Verizon problem, but I'm not sure. Also, one thing I liked with my previous "dumbphone" Samsung Intensity III was the ability to have a reminder alert played if I had not answered a text message 2 minutes after I received the first alert. Is that possible on Windows Phone 8 devices?

Despite these early concerns of mine, I don't want to let anyone think otherwise...I'm thoroughly impressed with this phone, from the changing facebook pictures on my lockscreen with my calendar events listed, to the slick start screen. My other family members all have iPhones and I think they are jealous :) I think Windows Phone 8 is really promising, and for me, without any app store luggage from other platforms, I'm finding everything I need from the Store, save for Snapchat at the moment. After working out a few kinks and finally tuning the start screen to my liking (I can't make up my mind haha), it will be perfect. It's everything I could ever need: Calendars, Phone, Social, E-mail, and Camera! The camera, by the way, is a huge step up from my Intensity III but not to the level of my 16MP Fujifilm digital camera, obviously. The shots I've taken so far are a bit too soft for my liking, but hopefully messing around with the settings will make it even better. I can see why the 928 is a flagship model!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
As far as Exchange, maybe look in the advanced settings and make sure you have all the server fields right.

In regards to games, it depends on the game developer. I believe MS opened SkyDrive sync for developers so it's up to them to sync your progress. However, if you are looking for it to sync from when you played it a year ago or something, that won't happen. I'm pretty sure MS just added SkyDrive Sync recently or when WP8 was released.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
As far as Exchange, maybe look in the advanced settings and make sure you have all the server fields right.

In regards to games, it depends on the game developer. I believe MS opened SkyDrive sync for developers so it's up to them to sync your progress. However, if you are looking for it to sync from when you played it a year ago or something, that won't happen. I'm pretty sure MS just added SkyDrive Sync recently or when WP8 was released.

Ok I will check the server for Exchange and try to make it work. As far as the games go, if it doesn't work it's not the end of the world, I just wonder how the service will act if I unlock achievements twice.

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
On the photo thing. Change your camera setting to 4:3 not 16:9. For some reason I was having trouble sending 16:9 photos. But haven't had a problem with 4:3.

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There isn't an alert to reply to text messages. There is a one time notification of a new text, after that, an unread count on your start screen messaging tile.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I had trouble setting up my Exchange account for work, but knew for a fact all the information was correct. In order to get it to work, I had to use IE to go to the outlook web app to check my work email. Once I logged in and went back to the email accounts on the phone, it worked the first try. I'm on my second phone and had to do this both times and both times it worked like a charm.

Do you have the ability to check your email from a website on any random computer? I'd start there.

I don't have the answer for attaching pictures, but can offer one bit of advice as I'm a first time smartphone user like you. In order to send a message with a picture, you have to have the data turned on.

xxxthebxxx

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, I will try that tactic and see if it works. No luck on the messaging yet, but I do know for a fact that my data is turned on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss