As I have stated in another post, my company is loosening up and we can choose something other than a BlackBerry (just not a 'Droid). I'm comparing the Z10 vs the 928. In my BB research, I see that there is one Z10 but with four different model numbers to handle all the world's different carriers. I don't believe that is the case for the 928; it appears that Nokia makes a different phone for each of the different cell phones companies; hence the 920 / 925 / 928. Is that correct? Our company uses Verizon which is why I'm looking at only the 928.

I read that Nokia phones are manufactured in China, Finland and Mexico. Is there a way to tell the difference? Has anyone noticed a trend of issues with phones made in one country versus another? In my BB research, I read that one should get a Z10 made in Canada and not from Mexico. It is printed on the box or in the literature where the Z10 was made.

Lastly, to longtime Windows Phones users on Verizon, how timely are the updates issued by Verizon? Timely? Woefully inadequate? But then if the 928 is a great phone with a wonderful OS, then I guess you don't need updates. It appears that Verizon is driving a nail into the BlackBerry coffin due to their foot dragging of the Z10 10.1 update.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    07-22-2013 08:18 PM
    Hi and welcome to WPCentral.

Yes, the different model #s of the Nokias are for different US carriers: the 920 is for AT&T, the 925 is for T-Mobile, and the 928 is for VZW. They are all "world phones", so they will work overseas.

I'm not sure about where the 928 is manufactured, or if all 928s are manufactured at the same facility. However, here is the list of all of Nokia's manufacturing facilities. My 900 happens to be from Korea.

I'll let someone who has VZW answer the update question, since I have AT&T and am not familiar with VZW.
    07-22-2013 08:37 PM
    On VZW, I can say that they are pretty slow with updates. I have been on Windows Phone since the HTC Trophy, WP7. Verizon hasn't skipped any updates to date, but they are usually last of the carriers to release updates. I can say that this isn't just with Windows Phone, it tends to be slower with all OSs.
    07-22-2013 09:25 PM
    What's a Blackberry? they're going out of business in a couple more year, or will be purchased and absorbed/merged hopefully.

Nokia is a Finnish based company
    Microsoft controls the OS and what Nokia does to it.
    Nokia controls the firmware updates and features to the phones themselves
    Verizon controls the updates of both and will release when they damn well please. (this is the case with any operating system) I despise Verizon for this, it's the ONLY drawback I can find. I tweet them everyday to stop stifling the user experience.

Finally,

Everything in your house, garage and computer is made in China. That's life. You won't escape it and doesn't matter.

Oh and something about group messaging. I don't have any issues with it. Others say they can't do it.
    07-22-2013 10:10 PM
    Verizon wasn't that slow getting out the portico update for the windows phone 8x.

But it really doesn't matter because even their android phones suffer from delayed updates, as well as their blackberry and windows phone
    07-22-2013 10:13 PM
    I would have to agree that VZW is not "that" slow when an official update came out. I seem to remember my Trophy getting the updates before the Samsung Focus updates on AT&T. So if the worry is if VZW will get the update, they will...just after some extensive "quality assurance"
    DavidinCT likes this.
    07-22-2013 11:23 PM
    Verizon isn't really that "slow", updates come out after they have been fully tested and bugs worked out. Windows Phones are no more disadvantaged than Android or Blackberry in this regard (Apple is the exception).

I also wouldn't worry to much about where the phone is made (likely China or Mexico, but I'll venture China), because its going to be the exact same process no matter the country (and should have QC in place).

Also, I work in/around the auto industry, and can tell you that the best made North American cars usually don't come from the US. You'd be shocked if you saw the Mexican operations of Ford and GM. Still love my Jeep built in Ohio, but don't underestimate Mexico
    07-23-2013 06:44 PM
    No offense meant to our neighbors to the south. I was just repeating what I read in the CrackBerry forums. Just wanted to confirm that there are not any major issues that are inherent with 928s made in one location versus another. I've read posts about "goopy" or "yellowish" Start buttons; however, as long as it continues to work, I don't care - it will be under my thumb anyway. Thanks for the feedback.
    07-25-2013 08:36 AM