08-15-2013 02:42 PM
112 1234 ...
tools
    Quick question because this is my first Windows Phone (heck, first smart phone even). How will this update be available? Pushed to my phone, download and install via computer, update through Windows store?

Thanks.
    08-05-2013 09:56 AM
    Quick question because this is my first Windows Phone (heck, first smart phone even). How will this update be available? Pushed to my phone, download and install via computer, update through Windows store?

Thanks.
    Your phone will alert you or you can check manually in settings, then you'll most likely have to plug in and update via the windows phone companion app for windows\mac. At least that's how it was on my old Trophy and Zune software.
    08-05-2013 10:05 AM
    Your phone will alert you or you can check manually in settings, then you'll most likely have to plug in and update via the windows phone companion app for windows\mac. At least that's how it was on my old Trophy and Zune software.
    I think they're pushed over the air now, so you might just need to plug your phone into the wall and it'll update wirelessly.
    08-05-2013 10:55 AM
    Yes, updates come over wifi now. It is a good idea to plug into power, because the update can take a long time.
    08-05-2013 11:35 AM
    Hopefully this week it is!
    08-05-2013 11:41 AM
    Anyone want to be a guinea pig and try this on our Lumia 928? Thinking it should work since the 928 is basically a 920 just on Verizon.

Leaked Nokia Amber firmware now available for the Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 | WMPoweruser

Looking at the image that is associated... time states that it is 9:20 designating the model.... the date then states September 5th... wonder if that is the official release plan. Which means since we are on Verizon that we will get it in 2014!!!...
    Won't work, I tried to flash a generic 920 rom on one of my 928's and wasn't able to. We need to wait until it shows up in NCS for the 928
    mrcrusha829 likes this.
    08-05-2013 12:21 PM
    Hopefully we see GDR 2 soon... This phone is only a couple months old and we're already behind...no Youtube uploader, Photo suite, Video Trimmer, or Nokia Smart Cam either. Ugh.
    08-05-2013 06:24 PM
    According to Windows Phone 8 update history, it will probably be before the end of the year. That is when the agreement that allows Windows Phones to synch with Google's services ends.
    08-06-2013 01:00 AM
    According to Windows Phone 8 update history, it will probably be before the end of the year. That is when the agreement that allows Windows Phones to synch with Google's services ends.
    Exactly... Better not, I am expecting GDR3 before then too.
    08-06-2013 08:25 AM
    Just talked to a Verizon rep about the Amber/GDR2 update, she sad she would call Nokia to ask them what the eta was. i am not sure i believe that she actually called Nokia but she stated that Nokia said 3rd quarter if testing goes well.. That sucks but hopefully it will be sooner.
    08-06-2013 03:33 PM
    Just talked to a Verizon rep about the Amber/GDR2 update, she sad she would call Nokia to ask them what the eta was. i am not sure i believe that she actually called Nokia but she stated that Nokia said 3rd quarter if testing goes well.. That sucks but hopefully it will be sooner.
    LMAO. Super.
    08-06-2013 04:07 PM
    Oh damn... :(
    08-06-2013 05:45 PM
    Third quarter is this quarter.. so whats the problem?
    08-06-2013 05:49 PM
    The phone jockeys are about as reliable for information as your average car salesman. The final stage of testing is carrier testing, so Nokia likely wouldn't be able to tell a customer when an update will come out.

Verizon is notoriously slow to release updates, so don't hold your breath either way.
    08-06-2013 05:52 PM
    It is coming in August most likely, was supposed to hit at the end od July but was delayed. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit this week, but don't hold me to that
    08-06-2013 06:54 PM
    Third quarter is this quarter.. so whats the problem?
    I forgot to write she actually mention the 3rd quarter and then said looks like September. I mentioned I have been hearing August but she left it at what Nokia told her. Also that means its not even ready yet like the other carriers, Verizon still in testing ...no telling how long that could be.
    Last edited by papaduxx; 08-06-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    08-06-2013 07:23 PM
    fcking hell!!!!!
    08-06-2013 09:48 PM
    I forgot to write she actually mention the 3rd quarter and then said looks like September. I mentioned I have been hearing August but she left it at what Nokia told her. Also that means its not even ready yet like the other carriers, Verizon still in testing ...no telling how long that could be.
    Typical Verizon 😒
    08-07-2013 07:38 AM
    If you believe that ANYONE at Verizon who spends any amount of time at all talking to customers knows more than 50% of what we know just here in this forum, I've got this bridge I'll let go real cheap...

The phone jockeys are about as reliable for information as your average car salesman. The final stage of testing is carrier testing, so Nokia likely wouldn't be able to tell a customer when an update will come out.

Verizon is notoriously slow to release updates, so don't hold your breath either way.
    Nah - used car salesmen are FAR more reliable than phone company support reps.
    08-07-2013 08:18 AM
    Its hump day!
    hopmedic likes this.
    08-07-2013 08:28 AM
    Its hump day!
    spidercamelbig.jpg
    nunyazz and Zomby Jeezus like this.
    08-07-2013 08:31 AM
    On a 928 your phone should already have come with GDR 2 on it, I believe? I know the 925's and 1020's have it on already and the 928 was released around the same time.
    Nope that's why the 928 came out first and the 925 and 1020 came out nearly at the same time. We have GDR1.
    08-07-2013 01:14 PM
    On a 928 your phone should already have come with GDR 2 on it, I believe? I know the 925's and 1020's have it on already and the 928 was released around the same time.
    No the 928 doesn't have GDR2. I checked mine against the one at the Verizon Store and both have the same version. Verizon is notoriously slow at rolling out the updates. It's primarily due to ensuring it works on Its network without opening up security holes.
    08-12-2013 01:37 PM
    No the 928 doesn't have GDR2. I checked mine against the one at the Verizon Store and both have the same version. Verizon is notoriously slow at rolling out the updates. It's primarily due to ensuring it works on Its network without opening up security holes.
    I just hope they plan on fixing Group texting in this update (A quote from a corp rep, was it's finished and will be released on the next major update) as well as all teh GDR2 updates...
    WarDamnEagle09 likes this.
    08-12-2013 02:23 PM
    I've been in a battle with Verizon via the BBB over this. They just say it will be fixed during a "mid year" update. My stance is if the iPhone had this issue, it would have been fixed within 1 week and the entire planet knows that's true. Verizon historically is slow with fixes and historically doesn't like Windows OS. They could care less about us until Windows makes a bigger dent in market share. Until then, this is the garbage we're gonna have to put up with. Honestly, any problem you have with Verizon, instantly should file a complaint with the BBB. Bringing down their customer satisfaction ratings or Microsoft finally dumping money into marketing for the OS (since Nokia seems to be the only one doing this) are the only 2 ways Verizon is going to give a damn.
    08-12-2013 05:51 PM
112 1234 ...