Landscapes Hazy

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi mooreted,

Have you seen this thread? It has a lot of photography tips. Please check it out and see if it helps.

If you have further questions afterwards, please let us know.

mooreted

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
What I'm struggling with, I guess, is the other landscapes I took when I was standing in broad daylight look pretty good.

From the thread, I get the idea that phones aren't that great at distances.

I have played with an ISO of 800 and increasing the exposure time, and that seems to help. I guess I should pick better subjects and not stand in the shadows photographing subjects bathed in light.

Just thought someone might have a trick up their sleeve.

Sent from my easy chair using brainwaves.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't see your pics for whatever reason, but I've been a photographer for a while and I can make a couple quick guesses;

Stand in the shade. If you are in direct sunlight, sun falling on your lens can wash out a picture. Or hold your hand in a way as to keep sun off the lens. This is why a pro photographer ALWAYS uses a lens shade - they prevent lens flare which can appear as haze. Lens flare isn't always those neat multi-sided discs and streamers across a photo. It can simply muck up a picture as reduced contrast and a foggy effect.
Distance shots will always be hazy. There is just a lot of crap in the air that can reduce contrast. Dust, pollen, humidity, air pollution. Some days are just a lot worse than others - sometimes it's nearly non-existent, sometimes it's obvious and the thing is you don't always realize it's there. Somehow your brain edits it out when you are just looking and you have to say "OK brain, show me what's REALLY there." Incidentally, that is always the biggest trick in photography - seeing what is there, and not what your brain wants you to see. Sometimes a light yellow filter can help boost contrast, and the color cast can be rebalanced in Photoshop or GIMP.

mooreted

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think of lens flare. I'll give that a try. Next tome I'll take my time and try to pay more attention to what is going on in the scene.

Sent from my easy-chair using brain waves

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
In addition to what MikeLip said, check for fingerprints or smudges on the lens. While those of us with big SLR cameras are very careful to keep them off the lens, that's a different proposition with a phone, and it can increase the haziness, as well as making lens flare worse.

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Definitely check to make sure the lens is clean... I wipe it before every pic I take. I know this was already mentioned but you would be surprised at how many pics get messed up because of this. Also if you have a case that is close to the lens will bounce light off of it giving weird effects.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I thought 800 would compensate for shadows, but it increases glare and makes grainy pics.

It increases the sensitivity of the... erm... sensor. So it's designed for low light, low ISOs get you the cleanest, clearest pictures, but need solid light. If you're outdoors, 100 should be fine unless it's really cloudy or something.

Sent from... my office chair. :(

mooreted

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It increases the sensitivity of the... erm... sensor. So it's designed for low light, low ISOs get you the cleanest, clearest pictures, but need solid light. If you're outdoors, 100 should be fine unless it's really cloudy or something.

Sent from... my office chair. :(

I will try that this evening.

I'm also in my office chair at the moment. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers