Lumia 928 Matte Black = AWESOME

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I just received my replacement Lumia 928 today. The previous was the White version which I liked alot, but always had a thing about wiping the phone down on almost any soft surface I could find mostly because of the glossy finish on the back. Well I dropped that phone yesterday from a height of about 2 and a half feet and it landed PERFECTLY on its side shattering the screen. BTW what the heck is up with most phones these days?! The glass is very good at being scratch resistant but when it comes to absorbing even moderate impacts on a hard surface? LOUSY. Anyway, I digress...

The insurance company screwed up and sent me a Matte Black finished 928 and you know what? I LOVE IT! Any phone that is made with polycarbonate materials should have a MANDATORY Matte finish no matter what the color is! Yes, its still a little on the slippery side but the feel and look are just so much better than glossy finishes, hands down. I'm really enjoying the Matte Black. Who's with me?

PS I am still not getting a case for the phone because they always ruin the aesthetic and feel. I just have to be more careful toting the thing around.

CHEERS! :wink:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that your white 928 broke.

That's great you like the black 928 replacement, even though it is different from what you originally had.

Good luck with your new 928.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
PS I am still not getting a case for the phone because they always ruin the aesthetic and feel. I just have to be more careful toting the thing around.

I may not share your love of the matte black - I'm a bit of a fan of the minimal white look - I do agree about having a cover on it. The guy at the Verizon store tried hard to sell me a case and I'm like, "why would I want to cover up this awesome phone? I mean, look at it!?" However, I do find myself being overly careful not to drop it. So I looked into clear skins, but they all feel rubbery and do not have the greatest reviews. Something about not being a good fit and hard to install.

But...alas, I broke down and bought the Incipio Feather case. It's the bright blue one like Laura has in her avatar. I'm loving it!!

On another note, did you happen to get the wireless charging plate? Someone on here tipped us off to an eBay seller who had them for $25!! I got one of the last few. But wireless charging is awesome.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If I were to get a 928 (I can't as I'm in the UK) I'd definitely get the black. Really glad to see you like it. Any chance you could post some pics?

Also, the 92x and other Lumia's have Gorilla Glass 2 which is really great at being scratch resistance and most of the time won't break, but on the other hand this means it's more brittle. Bit of a trade-off.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
<snip>BTW what the heck is up with most phones these days?! The glass is very good at being scratch resistant but when it comes to absorbing even moderate impacts on a hard surface? LOUSY.<snip>
The fact that our glass is getting bigger means that the likelihood of it getting broken increases. Yes, the glass is getting better, but it is also getting bigger and therefore easier to break.

<snip>But...alas, I broke down and bought the Incipio Feather case. It's the bright blue one like Laura has in her avatar. I'm loving it!!

On another note, did you happen to get the wireless charging plate? Someone on here tipped us off to an eBay seller who had them for $25!! I got one of the last few. But wireless charging is awesome.
Laura's avatar is a 920, not a Feather. :wink:
Also, I saw another post yesterday that said (I think) ATT had the charging plate for $25. I haven't checked it myself.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Laura's avatar is a 920, not a Feather. :wink:

I realized that, that's why I said it's "like" the one she has, as in "similar" because my Incipio Feather blue case looks very close to that one. :wink:

...even though I know that's the color of her phone and not a case.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I suppose that you can get whatever color is available as long as its the same phone. As far as the glass thing, I guess with a greater surface area there is always a change for breakage. I just hate the fact that screens are constantly touted as being so tough...and all they do is break.

I still hate cases. Frankly I think the Lumia aesthetic is just not made for them anyway. I went YEARS without breaking a phone and recently have crushed two screens in 2013 alone. Brittle seems like the appropriate word these days.

john_blaze

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the black 928 is definitely sexy. I was pretty much set on getting the 928 in white to switch things up from the black trophy I've had for the past two years, but when I saw them side by side, the black one just called out to me.

Each finish has it's pro and cons, the matte doesn't really show fingerprints but it will show wear marks over time. Glossy appears to have the exact opposite characteristics, it's a fingerprint magnet but doesn't seem to wear as easily.

The slipperiness also seems to subside somewhat. Whether that's a matter of me getting accustomed to the finish or something else altogether, I can't say, but I find it to be a lot less slippery than when I first got it.

somerandomguy1

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
IDk i've seen the black version and personally own the white version. I like the contrast of the white on black. If it was a fully white phone it would be boring but having both makes it just pop and is easier for me to find if I just toss it on my bed. Also people notice it and ask me what phone it is which helps spread windows phone interest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99