Nokia Lumia 928 currently FREE! Is it not selling well?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yup - it's the contract that makes the money. As for the sales folks pushing Apple/Android, yes. That's a problem. That's what you see in stores. The story from the corporate end is that they want Windows Phone to do well. But when you're dealing with fanbois selling phones, it's going to take a while to turn the culture in the stores.

If they really want WP to succeed they would fix the sales rep problem. After all sales reps don't run the company and should be doing what the corporation wants, right?

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I did my research before upgrading my phone from an iPhone 4s. I eventually choose the 928, and have had it for two weeks.

While doing my research, I also read about the problem with Verizon sales people pushing customers away from WP and towards iOS and Android. So I ordered it from Amazon for a penny.

In all honestly, one of the best purchases I have ever made. For a penny. Unbelievable.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I can stomach a price change like this. Some Android phones get the same treatment. What I can't understand is that I JUST effing bought this phone the end of July!!! NOW it's free!?! I could have saved myself about $140. I mean, it hasn't even been out that long. So pretty much in almost exactly 3 months on the market, it goes from $99 Verizon flagship Windows Phone - to $0. This is the HTC Thunderbolt fiasco all over again! Ugh.

eao1991

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If they really want WP to succeed they would fix the sales rep problem. After all sales reps don't run the company and should be doing what the corporation wants, right?

The Verizon store I went to here in Tucson was pretty fair. The sales rep we had recommended both Windows phone and Android for us. This is probably a rare occurrence but it shows that not every sales rep is a moron.

Sent from my GS4

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
When I went in to order my 928, not a single person even knew what it was or that it existed. When it came in and I went to pick it up, the salesboy didn't know how to set it up and couldn't answer a single question about Windows Phone 8. He just got his shiny new iPhone 5 that morning and kept playing with it while waiting for things to happen on the 928. They also refused a return inside the 14 day window. Won't be back their anymore.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if everyone has noticed, Verizon is running a big promotion, I have seen it on ABC, NBC, History, Discovery and New England Sports Network (I have seen the ads myself on all these channels). It's about Verizon having the best network and if you look, they are all using a 928 (some black some white) and they show the face of it with the widows keys. At the end of the ad, you can see them pushing the 928 free on a 2 year contract.. I tried to see if I could find it on Youtube but, could not find it...

I think this is why the price is free now, and who ever is saying Verizon is not promoting this phone needs to get over it, they are pushing it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you, but I don't know what the culture is like inside Verizon. Another problem, though, is the question of how much control they have over the independent resellers that bear the Verizon name.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone here go into a Verizon store in the week or so after Halo: Spartan Assault launched? I wondered if they had any in-store displays or promotions for it, since they had it exclusive for 30 days. I've seen a few banner ads for it on tech websites I visit, but I never saw a TV spot for it.

The 928 is such a great phone. In my opinion the 1020 is the only other phone that is better than it (the 925 is pretty awesome too, but I like the 928's Xenon flash, built-in wireless charging, and 32GB of space). For free, this thing should be constantly out of stock. I wish there weren't so many ignorant customers out there.

btyanks

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Lol. I bought this phone through amazon wireless for free a couple of days ago when the phone was $99.99 on verizon. Lo and behold! It is now free through verizon now.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I can stomach a price change like this. Some Android phones get the same treatment. What I can't understand is that I JUST effing bought this phone the end of July!!! NOW it's free!?! I could have saved myself about $140. I mean, it hasn't even been out that long. So pretty much in almost exactly 3 months on the market, it goes from $99 Verizon flagship Windows Phone - to $0. This is the HTC Thunderbolt fiasco all over again! Ugh.
Dude, you gotta know that prices come down over time. If you didn't know that before, now you do. My own personal policy is to never spend more than a penny on a contract phone.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Dude, you gotta know that prices come down over time. If you didn't know that before, now you do. My own personal policy is to never spend more than a penny on a contract phone.

my exception was the 920 (nov 2012 paid $50.00 and got wireless charger and Nokia purity ear buds)

I got both the Focus and the titan for 1 penny

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

I get that. I realize that. But what I'm saying is that not many phones go free in less than 3 months! Had I known WP were on that kind of schedule, I'd have waited a few more weeks and got this thing for free. Besides, most phones start like $150/$200, go down by $50 or so when something new comes out, and then free when the next BIG thing comes out. I wasn't expecting this all to happen in less than 3 months.

So I'm not complaining about the price reduction - just the frequency at which it happened. And really, I'd be even more pissed had I got this and then a few days later it went free. Luck of the draw I guess.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
The HTC 8X is also free. I do not think it is because they are not selling. I was upset back in the day when I first switched to Verizon that my Motorola was free for new customers 3 months after I got it but that is just how the mobile device market works. I have gotten the Droid Incredible and Droid Incredible 4G for free so I am not surprised. Verizon will still charge the upgrade fee but note that their new plans that do not have the upgrade fee are coming next month. I am not sure this deal will co-exist with the new plans but you never know. The Lumia 822 was free when I got my 928 in May this year.

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
The 928 is free because they are trying to steal the attention away from the ATT exclusive of the 1020. It's that simple.

FaTROBoT97

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Two things.

1) The 928 doesn't cost Verizon as much as the Galaxy S4 does. Full retail is $449 on a 928 where the S4 is $649. So they have more room to move on the price to attract customers.
2) Reps in stores push people away from it because it doesn't have that many accessories to sell with it cause reps are graded on there accessory take rate now more than they ever were

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I feel gypped. I paid $9.50 for mine including shipping through AMZN 3 weeks ago . With the 1020 coming out in a few months thats how it works. Not the best way to endear yourself to your customers but as a longtime VZ customer I can tell you that carrier these days is one word: marketing. Im including their tech support people. Ive forgotten more bout the 928 in 3 weeks that their "hard reset" tech support claim to know. They just want to sell phones and move on to the next order

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I feel gypped. I paid $9.50 for mine including shipping through AMZN 3 weeks ago . With the 1020 coming out in a few months thats how it works. Not the best way to endear yourself to your customers but as a longtime VZ customer I can tell you that carrier these days is one word: marketing. Im including their tech support people. Ive forgotten more bout the 928 in 3 weeks that their "hard reset" tech support claim to know. They just want to sell phones and move on to the next order

you feel gypped for paying a measly $9 including shipping, three weeks ago? Really?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 928 seems to be selling well. I am just guessing that Verizon is trying to boost the sales. Might not be permanent. Who knows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss