Lumia 928 Debranding. Is it possible ?

JGeorgoudakis

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Greetings. Last days trying to flash my Lumia 928.
I search hours and hours and come up with a solution.
Flash my 928 with Lumia 1020 files. Cause verizon dont give any "free" product codes....
Trying to search for RM-875 which is 1020's firmware but didnt found.
Navifirm dont work either -_- .
I hate verizon's built-in settings ....
I hate verizon SLOW upgrades.
I want FM in my cell.....
Anyone got any link for RM ' s ?
Should i flash it with lumia 925 firmware ? If so where i can find these files ?
Thanks in advance ...
( I hate change my lumia to android device. It's my first smartphone and i think i did a good choice ) .

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I am never patient. Will try and post results. It is from AT .

As others have said. Be patient. You're going to go through all this just to get FM radio? The 1020 and 925 have fundamentally different hardware from the 928. You really think forcing code that was not designed or the 928 will work? Good luck with that.

Not only do I predict you will have phone issues very soon, you will also become more and more frustrated and pissed off.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As others have said. Be patient. You're going to go through all this just to get FM radio? The 1020 and 925 have fundamentally different hardware from the 928. You really think forcing code that was not designed or the 928 will work? Good luck with that.

Not only do I predict you will have phone issues very soon, you will also become more and more frustrated and pissed off.

It wont work anyway.... WP8 images are signed, it will not install on another phone or phone model, If you break the image, then the image is no longer signed and you cant install it on Windows Phone 8 device. This was publicly said by Microsoft. If there was a way to install a Unsigned rom to a phone, we would aready have custom roms and I look forward to that.

I miss the WP7 days of getting custom apps and custom colors for my tiles...(never mind free teathering )

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here but, I remember MS saying this (I've attended a few dev sessions and they were talking about security of WP8)

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
It wont work anyway.... WP8 images are signed, it will not install on another phone or phone model, If you break the image, then the image is no longer signed and you cant install it on Windows Phone 8 device. This was publicly said by Microsoft. If there was a way to install a Unsigned rom to a phone, we would aready have custom roms and I look forward to that.

I miss the WP7 days of getting custom apps and custom colors for my tiles...(never mind free teathering )

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here but, I remember MS saying this (I've attended a few dev sessions and they were talking about security of WP8)

Yes, it all comes back top the Trusted Platform/Secure Computing initiative MS and the industry are pushing. Considering how integrated everything is becoming, I gotta agree with the direction.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it all comes back top the Trusted Platform/Secure Computing initiative MS and the industry are pushing. Considering how integrated everything is becoming, I gotta agree with the direction.

For me, Yes and No. When an os has a lot of limits like WP8(not a ton but a bunch), its nice to see if the 3rd parties can fill in the hole with a rooted device (as WP7.X was).

As on the other side, your getting a fairly secure(Microsoft products are not always 100% secure but, who's is ?) device that you don't have to worry about. It SHOULD work with everything they claim....SHOULD

Personally, I would prefer to be rooted...MS does a great job but, I would love to see what the hackers could add....

Last edited:

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
It wont work anyway.... WP8 images are signed, it will not install on another phone or phone model, If you break the image, then the image is no longer signed and you cant install it on Windows Phone 8 device. This was publicly said by Microsoft. If there was a way to install a Unsigned rom to a phone, we would already have custom roms and I look forward to that.
I miss the WP7 days of getting custom apps and custom colors for my tiles...(never mind free tethering)
I'm working (mostly learning, but whatever :straight:) and figuring out how it all works with a few other guys on xda. It's most specifically Secure Boot (Used on all OEM Windows Machines - Windows 8 x64, Windows RT, and Windows Phone) and BitLocker (HardDrive + TPM / BIOSorUEFI Encryption). Its all using MS certificates too, so unlocking it could take however long.

I'm at least DevUnlocked, so that something. The apps I have atm is TimeME (A clock that updates faster than the 40min minimum in the market :p), LUMIA Registry Modifier, and the Native Toast Launcher (used for launching ANY app on the phone, I just use it for hidden dial strings atm.) I had the WP8 File Access Webserver v0.3.3 installed, but I hit the 3 installed xap limit and determined the other two were more useful.
Anyways, we are working on Interop finally. It all just recently started in the past couple months too.

Last edited:

JGeorgoudakis

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I saw your answers. The problem is that i am a developer and as every developer i know that there are no "specific" firmwares-OSes .
I mean... If anyone here think that NOKIA or MS publish and maintain 15 operating systems for Lumia 1020,928,925,920,920T,822,820,810,720,720T,625,620,521,520,520T
and 15 differend camera applications etc etc.. Think again.. It must be a "general" OS like WIN fits on every CPU-GPU-MB bla bla....
After all each OS for Lumia is around 1+ GB .

If you own a company that maintain 15 OS next day you screwd.. -_- .
There are general rules.
Anyways.
After research i managed to get access to WindowsPhone 8 OS file system and the ability to change files-registry and other.
I will publish my research today or tommorow. xD .

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And if you think they haven't tweaked the OS image to each model phone, you are the only one you are fooling.... They are not going to install drivers for components not there, since in a phone you don't have the essentially limitless space for storage that you have in a computer.

I'm a developer, too.

JGeorgoudakis

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
If you see all images for 15 Lumia Devices and all together ( with carriers specific ) is about 45-50.
All images are the same size(except verizons added apps). So how much tweaking u think they doing ?
They made it dynamic as this is "smarter" way to handle each device.
If u are a developer you know what generalization means.
No company in earth -- or Mars -- make specific apps fgor specific hardware.
In addition .NET applications framework building & running dynamicaly based on the specific hardware... So think again .

Now if you mean "tweak" to change specific program strings like ( If device -> 925 print->"Not supported" ) this is NO tweaking.

Hardware is GENERAL ( eg Qualcomm Kraitt ) as SOFTWARE is general.
Changing some fields in my own APP to not support specific devices and countries is something stupid.

U are wrong and you will see it why.
History had prove it.
You know even install win XP on symbian devices.
It just a matter of "fields" and "signs" ;)

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
If you see all images for 15 Lumia Devices and all together ( with carriers specific ) is about 45-50.
All images are the same size(except verizons added apps). So how much tweaking u think they doing ?
In addition .NET applications framework building & running dynamicaly based on the specific hardware... So think again .

Now if you mean "tweak" to change specific program strings like ( If device -> 925 print->"Not supported" ) this is NO tweaking.

Changing some fields in my own APP to not support specific devices and countries is something stupid.

History had prove it.
Good luck, that's if you know ARM assembly. If not, just go ahead and leave. xda is where almost all of the research has been conducted.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I saw your answers. The problem is that i am a developer and as every developer i know that there are no "specific" firmwares-OSes .
I mean... If anyone here think that NOKIA or MS publish and maintain 15 operating systems for Lumia 1020,928,925,920,920T,822,820,810,720,720T,625,620,521,520,520T
and 15 differend camera applications etc etc.. Think again.. It must be a "general" OS like WIN fits on every CPU-GPU-MB bla bla....
After all each OS for Lumia is around 1+ GB .

If you own a company that maintain 15 OS next day you screwd.. -_- .
There are general rules.
Anyways.
After research i managed to get access to WindowsPhone 8 OS file system and the ability to change files-registry and other.
I will publish my research today or tommorow. xD .

Definitely share with the threads on XDA as they have been working on a registry editor that has the ability to write dword values.

Any chance you've tried to get the fm radio working with a registry tweak. I'm really interested in seeing if it really is a hardware issue or not.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm at least DevUnlocked, so that something. The apps I have atm is TimeME (A clock that updates faster than the 40min minimum in the market :p), LUMIA Registry Modifier, and the Native Toast Launcher (used for launching ANY app on the phone, I just use it for hidden dial strings atm.) I had the WP8 File Access Webserver v0.3.3 installed, but I hit the 3 installed xap limit and determined the other two were more useful.
Anyways, we are working on Interop finally. It all just recently started in the past couple months too.
Have you been able to get to field test mode with the Toast Launcher? I couldn't get it working as most of the gsm/dialer codes seem to be blocked. Would be interested in what codes you have gotten to work

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you been able to get to field test mode with the Toast Launcher? I couldn't get it working as most of the gsm/dialer codes seem to be blocked. Would be interested in what codes you have gotten to work
I can launch it, but the whole thing is essentially empty. I think it might be only applicable only when using a GSM mode, the settings do absolutely nothing on the 928 when on CDMA.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

History had prove it.
You might be a developer, and you might even be a good one. But you've demonstrated that you don't know Windows Phone. Guys at XDA a lot smarter than either of us (based on your statements here) have been working on it for a while and have yet to find success. I wish you well, anyway.

JGeorgoudakis

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Yep u right . I don't know about Wp that's my first device. I digging n research for hours lately.Hope to find solutions and answers soon. After all nothing comes the easy way.u must waste hours. xD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb