928 Amber - FM Radio missing?

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking at specs from a website other than Nokia, it is possible that info is wrong. The Nokia site clearly shows only Internet Radio. There is nothing mentioned about FM.

Is it possible the other sites were just copying and pasting the specs from the L920 to make their job easier?
What kind of a phone feature is "internet radio"? It comes with the phone preloaded or you download an app using internet?
I will request a phone change to 8X.
AT&T rocks..lol

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Even Verizon's trophy had fm......... And that was cdma+GSM. The major difference is that this has LTE and the LTE AWS band that will be included in a different update later.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Just because the chip supports fm-radio, it doesn't mean all the required hardware is installed. I remember back in the day with the TP2 everybody stated that it had support for a fm-radio but we found out the hadware wasn't installed on the cdma chip. Other GSM carriers that carried the phone had the fm-radio enabled except for Verizon and sprint.

Do your research on the Snapdragon S4 with MSM8960 Chipset. FM radio IS integrated into the chipset as part of the Modem Subsystem. This is the exact chipset found in the 822, 920, 928, 925 and 1020 from Nokia as well as several phones from other manufactures. My first reaction was to blame VZW but the more I watch this, the more it becomes apparent to me that Nokia effed up in their Amber Update for the 928
qualcomm_snapdragon_s4_block_diagram.jpg

http://gsmarena.com is an excellent resource for finding specific phone specs.

Last edited:

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Even Verizon's trophy had fm......... And that was cdma+GSM. The major difference is that this has LTE and the LTE AWS band that will be included in a different update later.

Do you think that the FM radio would interfere with the future use of LTE AWS?

virexix

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I think I've got it figured out. Verizon is most likely the culprit, disabling it. According to Listen to FM radio | Windows Phone How-to (United States),
Depending on your mobile operator, phone model, and version of the Windows Phone operating system, FM radio may not be available on your phone.
Does anyone want to make a petition to send to Nokia, Microsoft, and Verizon? I even chatted with Nokia online yesterday, and this Nokia and Verizon aren't telling us something : windowsphone is my conversation.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I contacted Microsoft about the false advertising and it was escalated. I will tell you guys how it turns out.

Let us know....

I've called up Nokia and was told the same c.r.a.p. After checking as said here, It still shows on their site that the 620 is the only phone that can't support FM radio. This is false advertising at it's best. It's a clear lie from someone, may it be Verizon, Nokia or Microsoft, someone is giving us the BS.

I'm waiting for a call back from Nokia, I told them because of this lie (that is what I quoted them), I want a full refund for my phone, I was EXPECTING FM radio support and picked up the phone BASED on that. Nokia would have to do it, as I am out of carrier return policy.

I will admit, If they give me a refund for the phone, I don't think I will ever buy another Nokia....at least HTC never plays this type of BS, no matter how many Nokia fanboys are on this forum.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Let us know....

I've called up Nokia and was told the same c.r.a.p. After checking as said here, It still shows on their site that the 620 is the only phone that can't support FM radio. This is false advertising at it's best. It's a clear lie from someone, may it be Verizon, Nokia or Microsoft, someone is giving us the BS.

I'm waiting for a call back from Nokia, I told them because of this lie (that is what I quoted them), I want a full refund for my phone, I was EXPECTING FM radio support and picked up the phone BASED on that. Nokia would have to do it, as I am out of carrier return policy.

I will admit, If they give me a refund for the phone, I don't think I will ever buy another Nokia....at least HTC never plays this type of BS, no matter how many Nokia fanboys are on this forum.

If your dying for FM, just use the trophy or tune in. The only reason I upgraded to the 928 was LTE (3g is terrible where I'm at) and the LTE AWS band that was being added in. I'm not banking on the update though. Verizon always botches updates. Anyone that's been on Verizon for a LONG time knows that. If its not there, it will be. Whether if its by hacking (who knows how long it will take until the registry gets unlocked) or by a small OEM update.

Also, if you switch to HTC, don't feel bad if your device doesn't have exclusive deals/apps on it. Its bs for sure, but I'm sticking with Nokia until the OEMs start to make WP worthwhile.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If your dying for FM, just use the trophy or tune in. .

Yea, that is what I have to do now. I listen to a lot of FM sports radio and I can get Football, Hockey and baseball off that radio station. I can't stream those games unless I want to pay for each package. MLB, NFL, and NHL want extra money to stream audio games, even MLB is like $40 a year, never mind the other ones. SO streaming games is pointless here.

I still have my trophy but, when I have a "high end" phone in my pocket that I paid full retail (non contract), that fully supports FM radio but, MY carrier disabled it, this is a problem and after paying the prices that we pay for these devices, WE SHOULD GET ALL THE FEATURES THAT WE PAID FOR.

Verizon has been doing this c.r.a.p. way too long, I really think it's time for a class action lawsuit and trying to create a law that carriers can not disable features on a device any more if the device supports it. PERIOD

I'm sure this is so users will use more data and with capped data plans they make more money.

Also, if you switch to HTC, don't feel bad if your device doesn't have exclusive deals/apps on it. Its bs for sure, but I'm sticking with Nokia until the OEMs start to make WP worthwhile.

Read through some of my other posts. The exclusive apps are not a big deal to me, when I picked up my 928, there was not one exclusive app that I wanted to buy. 95% of the time using my phone is not any 3rd party apps (besides facebook or twitter that are not any exclusives) and I think most people use their phone that way.

It's not as big of a deal to me over all. I had a HTC 8X for 4 months before getting a 928, the only reason I upgraded was the space, when it comes down to it, they are the exact same phone.....

WIndows Phone 8 does not allow anyone to customize the OS, like in Android, When you buy a different brand Android device, you get a whole new interface from the OEMs, this is not the case with WP8, so it's not as much of a big deal going from HTC, Nokia, or Samsung..

Not trying to go off topic here too much but, the fact of the matter is, carriers disable features that the phone supports because they chose to, and that is just wrong with the prices we have to pay for them.

Last edited:

bazurk

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Let us know....

I told Microsoft that the FM Tuner was one of the major factors I bought the phone for and I am requesting a full refund as well. I am suppose to hear back within 48hours. I love windows phones so I want to find out if this was Nokia, Verizon or Microsofts screw up before I swear off Nokia's.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Can somebody answer which new Verizon smartphones have the fm-radio enabled? After the TP2 I just always thought the fm radio wouldn't work because it was on cdma. I wasn't aware the trophy had a working fm radio.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Can somebody answer which new Verizon smartphones have the fm-radio enabled? After the TP2 I just always thought the fm radio wouldn't work because it was on cdma. I wasn't aware the trophy had a working fm radio.

I heard, correct me if I am wrong but, the HTC 8X (AT&T) has the FM radio...but, GRD2 has not hit for the Verizon model. I would hold out...

As for the Vzw Touch Pro 2....Yep, I fought Verizon on that one, got all the way to high up in corporate back a few years ago (numbers don't work any more, tried), and it was confirmed, The Touch Pro could do FM radio but, corporate decided to not offer it, due to headphones in the box (that they would have had to change/add them at too high of a cost).. Yep we lost out because of $0.39 set of ear buds... love corporate world, don't ya ?

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

This Friday past (Aug 16) a CSR at Verizon told me FM will be available on the Nokia 822 when the GDR2 update is pushed to that device. Of course it also uses the S4 with MSM8960 chipset so... we shall see.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Not that it makes all that much difference, but I had an original Droid Incredible and it had FM Radio abilities. Granted it was a 3G phone, so I have no idea if something with the 928 FM radio affects 4G (I doubt it). Point being, I was looking to pick up a windows phone and give the system a try and one of the features I saw coming with the updates was FM Radio. It would be nice if this situation was resolved or someone gave some type of response to clarify what is going on with this phone.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I heard, correct me if I am wrong but, the HTC 8X (AT&T) has the FM radio...but, GRD2 has not hit for the Verizon model. I would hold out...

As for the Vzw Touch Pro 2....Yep, I fought Verizon on that one, got all the way to high up in corporate back a few years ago (numbers don't work any more, tried), and it was confirmed, The Touch Pro could do FM radio but, corporate decided to not offer it, due to headphones in the box (that they would have had to change/add them at too high of a cost).. Yep we lost out because of $0.39 set of ear buds... love corporate world, don't ya ?

that's what pissed me off the most about tp2 and fm radio. All hardware there and the BS lame excuse for not allowing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte