928 Amber - FM Radio missing?

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
So I just got off the phone with VZW Tier 2 support who tells me this is being escalated to the update approval group to find out what happened and why. Of course the gentlemen I spoke with made the accidental and somewhat telling mistake of saying "I don't know why they wouldn't want this feature (radio) on the phone because they're really pushing data right now". A brief explanation from me that enabling FM radio would result is LESS data usage and he quickly tried to take those words back. I still think Nokia is to blame on this one but we shall see.

Best thing you can do is call Verizon Wireless and complain. Unless enough people make enough noise to get on the radar nothing will change. Squeaky wheel gets the proverbial grease.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Both captures from WP8 with GDR2 and Nokia Amber. 925 on the left, 928 on the right. We need to demand answers from both Nokia and Verizon.
V__F7B2.png wp_ss_20130819_0001.png

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
im bummed about no FM, but also, is anybody else experiencing a buggy GDR2 experience?? My phone has frozen up and restarted at least 6 times a day. Never had a single freeze or restart before then.

markku

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
After Amber update I found the FM radio in the music and videos hub on Lumia 920. For antenna you need to connect headphones. This works in Finland 😃

barnboy7274 maui

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
D.A.M.N No FM radio support totally sucks. I can only blame myself for not doing enough research before committing to this phone and vzw. As it turns out there are 3 windows phone on the Nokia line up that don't have radio 610, 810 and 928. The pictures are from AAWP (All About Windows Phone) and Nokia Devices web site. And yes, after the update the phone is not as smooth (Touch and Graphics)
wp_ss_20130819_0001.pngwp_ss_20130819_0002.pngwp_ss_20130819_0003.png

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So I just got off the phone with VZW Tier 2 support who tells me this is being escalated to the update approval group to find out what happened and why. Of course the gentlemen I spoke with made the accidental and somewhat telling mistake of saying "I don't know why they wouldn't want this feature (radio) on the phone because they're really pushing data right now". A brief explanation from me that enabling FM radio would result is LESS data usage and he quickly tried to take those words back. I still think Nokia is to blame on this one but we shall see.

Best thing you can do is call Verizon Wireless and complain. Unless enough people make enough noise to get on the radar nothing will change. Squeaky wheel gets the proverbial grease.

I called the other day, and it got escalated as well, I was told I would get a call back within 24-48 hours, well it's been long after that. If anyone is calling Verizon, this is the DIRECT line to their support 1-866-221-4096, if you call with your moble phone doing *611 and ask for support, they will give you a number telling you to call back via a different line so use the direct number.

I will try to follow up with another call tonight.... This is BS and needs to be resolved.

im bummed about no FM, but also, is anybody else experiencing a buggy GDR2 experience?? My phone has frozen up and restarted at least 6 times a day. Never had a single freeze or restart before then.

Not as much as you but, yes, I have seen some freezing up and being unstable...New after GDR2..

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site
D.A.M.N No FM radio support totally sucks. I can only blame myself for not doing enough research before committing to this phone and vzw. As it turns out there are 3 windows phone on the Nokia line up that don't have radio 610, 810 and 928. The pictures are from AAWP (All About Windows Phone) and Nokia Devices web site. And yes, after the update the phone is not as smooth (Touch and Graphics)
Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't believe everything you read.
Here is clarification.
Lumia928_radio.jpg
I don't think Nokia decided the fate of FM radio on Verizon.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I honestly believe from what I have read in detail that this phone supports FM radio. The phone has the chipset, Nokia showed on their site that all models accept the 620 supported FM radio (posted after the 928 was released), never mind talking to 2 different Nokia reps who told me Pre-GDR2 that the phone does support FM radio.

In my honest thoughs here, this is not Nokia, this is a Verizon thing, Verizon decided to disable it, maybe its' like the TP2 where they thought it would be a problem because the phone does not come with headphones (costing them money by customers complaining that it does not come with everything needed to use the phone).

Anyway about it, it's complete BS, I think we need to put something up on change.org, to people demanding after we get say 10,000 people signing it, we open a class action lawsuit against Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft for the lies and claiming all devices accept for one model would get FM radio support.

Personally, I still would like a law in place(at least here in the US) for moble devices where carriers MUST enable all features on device if they support it unless there is publicly said reason why they cant enable it (AKA: FCC problem, possable problem with the phone due to conflicts in freq, etc, VALID REASONS). After all, these devices are costing us $400+ even in a contract, we should get everything we pay for.

This just ticks me off, knowing someone around a coporate round table sat around and said, let's disable this feature because of some simple reason where it could possable cost them a little money (and cut their margins down by 0.0000000001%), and that is how it work for the most part...

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
This will certainly make a difference for me when I am making a decision on my next phone. Nokia just lost huge credibility as far as I'm concerned. Fool me once shame on you.....

burritobandito

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
everyone check this out. three days ago l checked this link and it said fm radio-yes. l just checked it and now it says there is no radio. nokia really let us down. thats not fair at all and we need to take action.

I also saw this with "radio-yes" a couple days ago and am now seeing "radio-no" This really annoys me, and I feel like I've been lied to. This was a big part of the reason why I chose this phone over other ones. My data plan can't handle me streaming all day every day at work, and sports are blacked out on streams. I researched this phone fairly in depth before buying fully expecting to obtain fm radio with this update since I saw both the nokia site (which said all phones except the 620 supported fm radio) and the microsoft site say this phone had fm radio. Very, very frustrating. I have called verizon and microsoft and still haven't heard back from anyone. I think I'm being ignored with the hope I'll go away. What are my options?

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
One thing is for sure, YOU DON'T MESS WITH FM. lol, It would be a nice feature, but FM is so weak between Dayton and Cincinnati. Anything I'd want to listen to is either on AM (WLW Reds Baseball) or HD Radio (all the jazz stations went belly up and clearchannel gave them a home on HD2 channels/iHeartRadio in the far corner).

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This will certainly make a difference for me when I am making a decision on my next phone. Nokia just lost huge credibility as far as I'm concerned. Fool me once shame on you.....

So, true... I'm really leaning aganst any Nokia phones from now on. This FM BS is pushed me over the line, dont quote us you are giving us something and then pull back.

Come on, you pick up this claimed *Great* Lumia 928, it's got the best camera on any phone (even a little better than the 920) and less than a month later, the 925 comes out with a even better camera, then another month goes by and now there is a 1020 with a 41mp camera. Nokia has turned from a great phone maker to a phone w.h.o.r.e., just pushing out new models every other month. My 928 ONCE had the best camera but, it didn't even take a month to be outdated...YEA !!!

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If I looked at the information correctly, the 928 and the 822 have the same chipset. So, if the Amber/GDR2 update is rolling out for the 822 now and people have confirmed there is FM Radio abilities, what in the world is the issue with the 928? I personally would rather go for the 928 and the FM Radio is not the only selling point, but it definitely was a nice additional feature.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So, true... I'm really leaning aganst any Nokia phones from now on. This FM BS is pushed me over the line, dont quote us you are giving us something and then pull back.

Come on, you pick up this claimed *Great* Lumia 928, it's got the best camera on any phone (even a little better than the 920) and less than a month later, the 925 comes out with a even better camera, then another month goes by and now there is a 1020 with a 41mp camera. Nokia has turned from a great phone maker to a phone w.h.o.r.e., just pushing out new models every other month. My 928 ONCE had the best camera but, it didn't even take a month to be outdated...YEA !!!

So you think they should have released the 928 on Verizon, then not released another phone on any other carrier for what... 6 months... a year? The Apple way? Crawling along at half the speed of smell....

You might way to stay away from the tech world if you want to buy stuff that doesn't get outdone a few months later. :smile:

I do understand your radio frustration though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss