928 Amber - FM Radio missing?

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If I looked at the information correctly, the 928 and the 822 have the same chipset. So, if the Amber/GDR2 update is rolling out for the 822 now and people have confirmed there is FM Radio abilities, what in the world is the issue with the 928? I personally would rather go for the 928 and the FM Radio is not the only selling point, but it definitely was a nice additional feature.
Just updated my 822 and I have the radio option....

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Apparently the issue with the 928 is not with the core componentry, ie, the chipset. The core component necessary to receive FM radio IS THERE in the MSM8960 chipset. The problem is that Nokia, whether by design or at the behest of Verizon did not run wire from the FM receiver to the headphone jack so as to complete the circuit so your headset would act as an antenna. This is the kind of shortcut one might expect on a low end device such as the 620 but on a premier device? Please! For want of a wire the capabilities of the phone have been diminished to the days when you had not choice but to carry a separate device to hear over the air radio. Incredulous is all I can say at this point. Being livid about it changes nothing but note to Nokia... I won't soon forget this steaming crock of crap you left us with.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the issue with the 928 is not with the core componentry, ie, the chipset. The core component necessary to receive FM radio IS THERE in the MSM8960 chipset. The problem is that Nokia, whether by design or at the behest of Verizon did not run wire from the FM receiver to the headphone jack so as to complete the circuit so your headset would act as an antenna. This is the kind of shortcut one might expect on a low end device such as the 620 but on a premier device? Please! For want of a wire the capabilities of the phone have been diminished to the days when you had not choice but to carry a separate device to hear over the air radio. Incredulous is all I can say at this point. Being livid about it changes nothing but note to Nokia... I won't soon forget this steaming crock of crap you left us with.

To call the phone a steaming crock of crap is ridiculous. I'm very disappointed it was left out, and even more disappointed if all it took was running the wire to the headphone jack for the antennae. That couldn't have possibly saved any money, given the same chip is included that already supports FM. It is ridiculous to think the Trophy has FM radio and the 928 does not. But it's not a crap phone.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
To call the phone a steaming crock of crap is ridiculous.....it's not a crap phone.

Well I can see how you reached that conclusion but for clarity, I never said the "Phone" was a crock of crap. Hard to argue that the design decision to leave out this one tiny detail clearly is anything but a crock of crap (imho) and it's that kind of decision making and the subsequent false advertising that went along with it that will make me think very carefully before dropping more hard earned cash on another Nokia device.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
anyone else pissed off that the 822 gets the FM radio but the higher end 928 is left out? Thinking real hard of returning my 928 due to false advertising but not sure what I would get instead.....really pissed at Nokia and Verizon over this one.
Its HTC TP2 on Verizon all over again.....wtf

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
anyone else pissed off that the 822 gets the FM radio but the higher end 928 is left out? Thinking real hard of returning my 928 due to false advertising but not sure what I would get instead.....really pissed at Nokia and Verizon over this one.

Nope. Never used it on my Trophy and wouldn't on my 928.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The lessen learned is buy a fully featured phone that has everything you want on it. Hey I'm an 810 user and my next phone will have to have these features, WFC, FM tuner, 64/128 gigs of storage a battery you can pull and an SD card slot. I've learned a very valuable lessen when purchasing smart phones because of the 810 debacle. Now that there are more phones out there the choices aren't as limited when I first jumped on WP. I will never ever buy a carrier locked phone EVER! I will wait for an international release of such product and update where and when I want to. By the time I'm due for a new phone (May) I hope such said phone will exist. If Nokia can't do this with future phones I will gladly buy another phone that does.

If MSFT can get their act together and get more apps out there by next year then color me impressed, if by next year I can't get a Geico app or my banks app I will go to another OS. If by next year the games we play are only ver 1 and there is a ver 4 I will also skip WP completely why play a game that is three years old when everybody is playing in 2013. The 925 could have been a contender with me but 16gis of storage is a joke with no SD slot using your 1080p camera will bring this phone to it's knees screaming for more space. If they came out with a 64gig version with SD slot I would almost jump on it. Just waiting for the right spec'd phone to appear am I asking for to much? Or is it just a wet dream....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that Nokia, whether by design or at the behest of Verizon did not run wire from the FM receiver to the headphone jack so as to complete the circuit so your headset would act as an antenna. This is the kind of shortcut one might expect on a low end device such as the 620 but on a premier device?

I want to believe you, I really do but, unless you can back it up with a source for your information, it's just more rumor.

The funny thing about it, if that is the case, it goes out the service to get fixed because, I will be getting a full refund for this phone or a FM radio on it.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Where are you getting this from?

Nokia should be in politics as they have a knack for giving "non-answers" and changing the subject. Case in point, the official line from Nokia with regard to the 928 is simply:
"The Nokia Lumia 928 does not have the hardware required for FMradio, but Nokia Lumia Amber brings the new Nokia Smart Camera."

There is no disputing that the phone is equipped with Snapdragon S4 processor and MSM8960 chipset. FM radio, along with GPS and Bluetooth is iintegrated into the modem subsystem of the chipset so it is not a lack of a circuitry with regard to FM tuning. The best information regarding the disconnect is from paulheu in the Nokia discussions at this link: FM tuner for Lumia 928 - Nokia Support Discussions

Complete specs for the Nokia 928 can be found at http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_928-5437.php
Qualcomm MSM8960 information: http://www.redferret.net/?p=24098 (there are better links on the qualcomm site if you don't want to trust redferret)

Last edited:

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Nokia should be in politics as they have a knack for giving "non-answers" and changing the subject. Case in point, the official line from Nokia with regard to the 928 is simply:
"The Nokia Lumia 928 does not have the hardware required for FMradio, but Nokia Lumia Amber brings the new Nokia Smart Camera."

There is no disputing that the phone is equipped with Snapdragon S4 processor and MSM8960 chipset. FM radio, along with GPS and Bluetooth is iintegrated into the modem subsystem of the chipset so it is not a lack of a circuitry with regard to FM tuning. The best information regarding the disconnect is from paulheu in the Nokia discussions at this link: FM tuner for Lumia 928 - Nokia Support Discussions

Complete specs for the Nokia 928 can be found at Nokia Lumia 928 - Full phone specifications

I don't see how this is anywhere near a definitive answer.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps not (and it's pretty clear you're not going to get a detailed straight answer from Nokia), but given FM is unquestionably inside the phone (it's integrated into the chipset) perhaps you have a better explanation?

Last edited:

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

"Pissed off' would be overstating it honestly. Sorely disappointed? Yeah, absolutely. Here is a device that is in so very many ways simply spectacular, and for the want of a wire they diminished it's capabilities needlessly. Whether that was a Nokia design decision or Verizon design requirement we will never know... but whoever made that call should be fired.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's latest explanation to me yesterday on the phone, they are saying FM is in all Amber FW,and it's up to the device to see whether or not it is capable of FM playback and the carriers are not blocking or denying the phones of anything. Although I own an 810 if I were a 928 owner I'd be more disappointed as to why the top tier phone at the time was denied such a simple upgrade. As an 810 owner I can understand...

Now that there are more choices I've learned invaluable lessens in the smart phone world the do's and don't s so to speak.
Buy global unlocked phones or pre paid.
Never buy a carrier locked phone. Unless it's a pre paid.
Buy a phone with features already on it.
Never expect an update to upgrade a phone.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Nokia's latest explanation to me yesterday on the phone, they are saying FM is in all Amber FW,and it's up to the device to see whether or not it is capable of FM playback and the carriers are not blocking or denying the phones of anything. Although I own an 810 if I were a 928 owner I'd be more disappointed as to why the top tier phone at the time was denied such a simple upgrade. As an 810 owner I can understand...

Now that there are more choices I've learned invaluable lessens in the smart phone world the do's and don't s so to speak.

Buy global unlocked phones or pre paid.

Never buy a carrier locked phone. Unless it's a pre paid.

Buy a phone with features already on it.

Never expect an update to upgrade a phone.
There aren't any unlocked CDMA&GSM phones on the market. I'd buy one if they made them where no OEMs could mess with their settings. Unfortunately Verizon is the only one that has signal at my home.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
"Pissed off' would be overstating it honestly. Sorely disappointed? Yeah, absolutely. Here is a device that is in so very many ways simply spectacular, and for the want of a wire they diminished it's capabilities needlessly. Whether that was a Nokia design decision or Verizon design requirement we will never know... but whoever made that call should be fired.

I am one who is VERY pissed off about it.... I EXPECTED a feature to come down with GDR2, it never came, now I am getting excuses. I paid full retail for my phone, I expect to get all the features I paid for and expected to have on a HIGH END PHONE.

People Keep calling VERIZON, you need to let them know your upset about this. They need to open cases for it, flood their support call center about the FM radio.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps not (and it's pretty clear you're not going to get a detailed straight answer from Nokia), but given FM is unquestionably inside the phone (it's integrated into the chipset) perhaps you have a better explanation?

"Better explanation"? I think you're missing the point - people want to *do* something to resolve their unhappiness, one way or another, and the first question that needs to be asked is whether or not the hardware is capable *as is*. If the answer is "yes," there are certain actions that can be taken. If the answer is "no," then it's a completely different ball game. Your "explanation," severely limits options... and it's based only on speculation that can be independently confirmed - that's crazy.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Updated my wife's 822 to Amber last night (OTA) and she has the Radio option as well. So it can't be just Verizon wanting to force us to use data.

The problem is that your statement could just as easily be, "Updated my wife's 822 to Amber last night (OTA) and she has the Radio option as well. So it can't be just Nokia trying to save half-a-cent per handset by not wiring the antenna."

Again, before placing blame (or determining recourse), facts should be confirmed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion