928 Amber - FM Radio missing?

ae86takumi

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Many years ago, my first cell was from Verizon. Then realized all their phone were chopped of their native features so they can capitalize by using their services. I left and never looked back.

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
We could ask the xda-developers
That's where I found the reg entry. As of right now though, there is no way to write to the phone,,,, yet ;)

Many years ago, my first cell was from Verizon. Then realized all their phone were chopped of their native features so they can capitalize by using their services. I left and never looked back.
Understandable, they have a history of crippling there phones. The only reason I'm still with them is the other carriers network is terrible where I live.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, just found this little tid-bit that comes with the Verizon package for the 928.

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\FMRadio\OEM]

"NotPresent"=dword:00000001

It'll be nice to see what happens when we can edit the registry and change the DWORD.

And who knows how long that's going to take. It will require either a permissions exploit (think like Win7, running an app without administrator access) or modifying the OEMs apps and having our modifications piggyback their rights (like HTC's Connection Setup app on WP7.)

Both sound impossible as nothing has that level of access outside of their original intentions on any WP8 device.

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
And who knows how long that's going to take. It will require either a permissions exploit (think like Win7, running an app without administrator access) or modifying the OEMs apps and having our modifications piggyback their rights (like HTC's Connection Setup app on WP7.)

Both sound impossible as nothing has that level of access outside of their original intentions on any WP8 device.

Exactly, but, the experts are in play here, if anyone will figure it out, they will (I watch XDA and a few other underground sites almost ever day). The problem is, it could happen later today or never, No one knows :(

I really miss my custom tile colors that I had with my rooted HTC Trophy.

Then you still have the aspect that neededs the firmware....

Last edited:

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, just found this little tid-bit that comes with the Verizon package for the 928.
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\FMRadio\OEM]
"NotPresent"=dword:00000001
It'll be nice to see what happens when we can edit the registry and change the DWORD.
It occurs to me that if the phone has hardware issues regarding the FM radio (as has been reported) they would want and need to disable it in software so it doesn't show up in a menu and be non-operational. . .

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I really miss my custom tile colors that I had with my rooted HTC Trophy.
Then you still have the aspect that neededs the firmware....

I kinda was expecting that in GDR2, but I'm not shocked. The Windows Phone division at MS is kinda following the footsteps of Halo 2, keep dumping features until it kinda works and just do patch updates until we release a whole new game.

What I actually miss is this Colors Start Menu and Digital Power

Anyways sorry for the off topic portion...

I'm half tempted to go buy that $25 subscription for the schematics, but I'm kinda broke at the moment. Anyone want to pool the money to buy the subscription?

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It occurs to me that if the phone has hardware issues regarding the FM radio (as has been reported) they would want and need to disable it in software so it doesn't show up in a menu and be non-operational. . .
True, but it could also be VZW crippling device. Changing the DWORD from 1 to 0 would be the easiest way to find out. We already know the chip is in there ;)
Time will tell, hopefully.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
True, but it could also be VZW crippling device. Changing the DWORD from 1 to 0 would be the easiest way to find out. We already know the chip is in there ;)
Time will tell, hopefully.
I agree -- it's not just the chip. There is supposedly an antenna issue as well. . .

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree -- it's not just the chip. There is supposedly an antenna issue as well. . .
It's rumored that the connection from the chip to the headphone jack does not exist. That's why we're trying to find the 928 schematics and compare it to the 920 schematics.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If this was disabled by Verizon....Call the 1-866-221-4096 this will get you talk to the techs... If they disabled it, the more people who call they might do something so, if your interested in getting the FM radio on the 928....CALL VERIZON

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
It's rumored that the connection from the chip to the headphone jack does not exist. That's why we're trying to find the 928 schematics and compare it to the 920 schematics.
Yes, we just need the proof that everything is there, but Verizon or Nokia is to blame. Nokia seems to be playing the blame game while Verizon sits in the corner completely quiet.
So am I the only one who wants the schematics nonetheless?

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
SO, I finally get a call back from Nokia....Yep this is almost 2 weeks ago when I called them and was told that I would get a call within 48 hours. It's very hard for me to see why people THINK Nokia has the best customer service. This is one of the worst customer service I have seen, even how the manager processed the call, she was just trying to rush me off the phone. Yep, Nokia is my number 1 company for the worst customer service now, this just cleared that up.

ANYWAY, So I called saying about the FM radio. As it's high end phone like the 920, it should of had it and I expect it. I told them get me a 928 with a FM radio or give me a refund on the phone. So, she goes an offers me a 822, I LOL'ed big time, sure nice phone but low res display and not even close on the camera side, that would be unacceptable.

I was offered a full refund for the phone, I think I am going to accept it... but, not sure yet...(what other high end phone do we have for Verizon ??)

I would love for someone here to figure it out, then I will just deal with this buggy 928 with no FM radio till the new models hit in fall/spring...

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
SO, I finally get a call back from Nokia....Yep this is almost 2 weeks ago when I called them and was told that I would get a call within 48 hours. It's very hard for me to see why people THINK Nokia has the best customer service. This is one of the worst customer service I have seen, even how the manager processed the call, she was just trying to rush me off the phone. Yep, Nokia is my number 1 company for the worst customer service now, this just cleared that up.

ANYWAY, So I called saying about the FM radio. As it's high end phone like the 920, it should of had it and I expect it. I told them get me a 928 with a FM radio or give me a refund on the phone. So, she goes an offers me a 822, I LOL'ed big time, sure nice phone but low res display and not even close on the camera side, that would be unacceptable.

I was offered a full refund for the phone, I think I am going to accept it... but, not sure yet...(what other high end phone do we have for Verizon ??)

I would love for someone here to figure it out, then I will just deal with this buggy 928 with no FM radio till the new models hit in fall/spring...

Well, InteropUnlock is just around the corner. just watch my thread here!
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/237370-status-wp8-hacking.html

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well they edited the DWORD on a Samsung and the FM Radio showed up and works!!! Let's keep our fingers crossed for the 928!!!

mrZoSo

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting -- but the Samsung didn't have the potential stated hardware issue. . .
Well apparently there was no sound out of the Samsung. But I don't know any of the specs on it either, it might not even have FM support to begin with,, lol
We'll know soon enough, hopefully, if the FM on the 928 will work or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786