Official LUMIA 928 GDR2/Amber Update Thread

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
With the flood gates opening regarding the release of GDR2 bundled with Nokia’s Amber Update, everyone is dying to know when their Lumia 928 will receive the magical update message. Also, some of you may not know what is included and how it will make your phone better. This guide should provide everything you need!

Has my update been released?

Nokia has a great page for helping its customers discover if their carrier has released the update yet or not: Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

To check for your phone, click on the region you belong to on the left side of the webpage. This will bring up a list phones/carriers organized by country.

What is included in GDR2?

Fixes Low Res “Me” Tile Pictures - For more details, Click Here

Data Sense - It is now available for more phones. For more details, Click Here.

Change Default Camera App - Name says it all!

CardDAV and CalDAV Support - Now sync your calender and contacts from services that use these standards!

HTML5 Improvements - Now view HTML5 sites better in IE! Pages should load faster and with less errors!

Lynx and Skype Stability Improvements

What is included in Amber?

Block Calls & Text Messages - While the API for this feature will be on all phones, Nokia has implemented block calls and text messages based on a blacklist or from numbers that have been withheld. For more details, Click Here.

Video Trimmer - A Nokia app that allows for quick editing and sharing of video. For more details, Click Here.

Double Tap To Wake - Now you can double tap your phone to turn it on! No more finding the power button in the dark. [WARN](This feature uses more battery power)
[/WARN]
Glance - This feature allows you to view the clock whenever you take your phone out of your pocket or when you wave your hand over the sensor. For detailed information, Click Here.

Nokia Pro Cam - Want the fantastic app the 1020 uses to take pictures? You got it if you have the 920, 925 or 928! For details, Click Here.

Do you have some new information to share? Post it here! Does this show your phone not having the update yet, but you just verified receiving it? Post it here!

Last edited:

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Posted elsewhere, but. . .

If during the update you get a "Cannot update" message that tells you to take the phone to a store, try a soft reset and updating again. Worked for me. . .

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if this fixes the podcast issue when you add them via the Windows sync application? I want to try but don't want to break it with the podcasts I got from the store. :(

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If I go to app settings for the camera and try to change what the camera button does, the only thing listed is built in app. I probably have 10 different lenses/camera apps, but none show up. Am I misunderstanding the functionality, or just don't have an allowable option? Or do I have to do something to enable this?

Thanks.

the_passenger

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
If I go to app settings for the camera and try to change what the camera button does, the only thing listed is built in app. I probably have 10 different lenses/camera apps, but none show up. Am I misunderstanding the functionality, or just don't have an allowable option? Or do I have to do something to enable this?

Thanks.

That is normal, you have either the built-in camera app or the Nokia Pro Cam app.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.
You need to download Nokia Pro Cam

Tyler Stegall

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue. I'm on the 928 and amber is great! However since updating my phone seems to "drop" wifi. It says that I am connected, but for some reason after 20 min none of my apps are able to access the internet, even though it says I'm connected. I have to go and turn my phones wifi on and off every 20 min and its getting very very annoying.

Ryano89

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Just throwing in my two cents, I like the new features that this update has brought, but my phone is DECIDEDLY less smooth after it. Much more choppy between screens etc. etc. Anyone else notice this? It is absolutely noticeable.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Just throwing in my two cents, I like the new features that this update has brought, but my phone is DECIDEDLY less smooth after it. Much more choppy between screens etc. etc. Anyone else notice this? It is absolutely noticeable.

yeah same here. I've also noticed graphical glitches as well. Half my screen will have tiles, the other half is just black.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue. I'm on the 928 and amber is great! However since updating my phone seems to "drop" wifi. It says that I am connected, but for some reason after 20 min none of my apps are able to access the internet, even though it says I'm connected. I have to go and turn my phones wifi on and off every 20 min and its getting very very annoying.
My wife's had this but it was fixed after a couple reboots. Maybe you tried that already but I thought I would throw it out there. Mine didn't have any of these problems.

western_riders_dad

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
My wife's had this but it was fixed after a couple reboots. Maybe you tried that already but I thought I would throw it out there. Mine didn't have any of these problems.

I was noticing a little choppiness during scrolling of the home screen immediately after the update. But, as mentioned above, after a few reboots and/or soft resets it's smoothed out again.

Tyler Stegall

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow, guess what. Decided to do a Hard/Factory reset. The gears kept spinning for 30 min. I realized the phone may have had a low battery, so I plugged it in and turned the phone on and off. It had a low battery, once it got enough charge though it went right back to the spinning gears :/ Help.

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, guess what. Decided to do a Hard/Factory reset. The gears kept spinning for 30 min. I realized the phone may have had a low battery, so I plugged it in and turned the phone on and off. It had a low battery, once it got enough charge though it went right back to the spinning gears :/ Help.
------------------
-------------------
Tyler...well the same thing happened to me. Unfortnately, you'll have to take it back to a Verizon store or Microsoft store and get a replacement. I just got back from the Microsoft store, they gave me a new one...this one updated fine. The tech at the Microsoft store tried to say that my battery was low. I told him that it charged overnight and I woke up to the spinning wheels. I had it plugged into my car charger on the way there but the battery was low when I got there. I had to wait for them to put it on a charger to see if I would boot. Once it had enough juice, the spinning gears was present. They swapped out the device. Sorry, but I think thats going to be what you have to do.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Update went fine for me. The new camera features and associated apps should be fun to play with. The Nokia Pro Cam and Smart Cam apps are great additions if you're into photo's.

Nice to see we got the update in a reasonable time frame. Give's me hope this platform will stick around and gain some ground.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
So far so good. No glitches and phone is as smooth as ever. For once the Verizon doubters who were predicting an extended wait were wrong. Hopefully Verizon will continue to support this phone.

eggfree

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Cross posting this (sorry for the annoyance, but it may be useful to anyone wanting to use CalDAV on a non gmail server
(CalDAV works btw... and not just for gmail)

THINGS YOU WILL NEED TO START
1) sign up for a dummy google account (I used one to start, then changed it later...
2) your email credentials and your caldav server username credentials have to be exactly the same. The phone will try to authenticate email first, then calendar.

STEPS
1) go into phone settings
2) add new google account - use an account you have/ or the dummy one. the username/password does NOT have to match your caldav/carddav
3) successfully connect. This unlocks the detailed settings.
4) edit the account
5) delete the gmail accounts and enter in the imap for your real email ('cause if you are using owncloud you have a separate email server too right?)
5.1) the imap server doesn't have to match the caldav server
6) enter in the credentials (username/pass) for your imap email. These HAVE TO MATCH your caldav login.
at this point you may want to save and make sure WP connects to your imap email. if it does, you are good to go to the next part.
7) edit the account again, and scroll down to caldav
7.1) enter in the fully qualified url of your caldav server and path to your calendar, including https and port:
"https://myserver.com:443/ownCloud/process.php/username/calendars/"
8)save.
see if it works. it worked for me , but I may have missed a step in the description:

Key things to remember:
1) you need a corresponding email to match your calendar and contacts (just like gmail)
2) your email login and your ownCloud login credentials have to be exactly the same (you are masquerading as gmail, heh)
3) it works with owncloud, so it should work with any standard calDav implementation (this means apple may not work)

PS I tred this with a nokia lumia 928 and self-hosted ownCoud. it should work the same with a 925
Have fun
J

SHAKAJOHNNY

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Whoo-hoooo.... can't wait to update! Just my luck though... took my work charger home last night, will have to wait till I get home. Peeps
mention... must be on a charger when updating. Is that true... I have full battery right now. Should I not even try it w/o charger?

BTW, info if GROUP TEXTing is now working.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ejoshmo

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The blocked call feature is not working for me. I have it toggled to "on" and I blocked a test number. Whenever I get a call from that blocked number, it still goes through like normal. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Extra+info is updated, BTW.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss